"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
One of my friend's profile pictures:

hpfacebook.jpg

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Gods, some people are annoying... If you post your artwork to a public forum, of course you're going to get critique. They should accept it and even say thanks for the helpful pointers, but instead they whine and make absurd excuses, going as far as declaring that they've lost their will to draw -_- And it's not even harsh critique, it's unicorns-and-rainbows-nice critique.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Morning team. Catching up after spending the weekend away.

Is it possible to have a fantasy world that has modern technology (cars, skyscrapers, electricity, ect.), but that isn't Earth? All of the fantasy worlds I've read about are set in medieval times, but I want my story to have modern things.

I think this would be really difficult to pull off. The problem is that the development of technology is incredibly complex. It's influenced by economic factors, political factors, military factors, geographical factors... and on and on. It's hard to imagine that an entirely different world would invent the exact same technology.

Spent my weekend writing. I'd better get a move on if I want to turn in this chapter tonight. :D

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score

I think this would be really difficult to pull off. The problem is that the development of technology is incredibly complex. It's influenced by economic factors, political factors, military factors, geographical factors... and on and on. It's hard to imagine that an entirely different world would invent the exact same technology.

Spent my weekend writing. I'd better get a move on if I want to turn in this chapter tonight. :D

Or it could be a parallel universe. Anything's possible with those.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Or it could be a parallel universe. Anything's possible with those.

Yes, absolutely. If your world was once ours, or trades with ours through portals or whatever, then it's realistic for them to have the same or similar technology. But an entirely invented world which has never had any kind of contact with ours, independently developing the modern cell phone, I would find very hard to believe.

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score

One way to get around that would be to make magic very rare. (Although there is still some implausibility to the developement of some technology with different geographical stimuli. ) Thus technology developed as normal, but culturally the setting is very divergent, since each place deals with the rare and limited magic in various ways. (Think Unicorns being on the endangered species list.)

But it really depends on your reader's willing suspension of disbelief. There's lots of alternate worlds that have, say, steam punk or medieval levels of technology without much difference, so I don't see why modern is so very different.

Also consider ways to change technology without changing too much. Thursday Next is a good example where it's still a modern society but with vastly different modes of travel and communication and such.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys. :)

I sat out in the garden today, and read and wrote. It is SO hot. I am now in Mum's room, because it's cooler than mine, and am going to type up what I wrote.

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing too... Well, doing story storyboards, but that counts as writing. I'm pretty slow today, only did three pages. But it's such a dramatic moment...! Some charas cried, yelled and even kissed without my permission Dx

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
I told my mom I might be able to make some money if my webcomic gets popular, she immediately starts counting how much time I need to gain enough to pay for university xD

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Lol.

ETA: Also, does anyone know anything about the capacity of Ipod Touch batteries?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.