Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have do a 1K draft synopsis for Sticks and Stones for class.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
It is for workshopping, it's not the real thing we have to submit.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. I have to write a 7-10 page story for my creative writing class...so not looking forward to that. I don't do short stories. I might end up asking him if I can submit that number of pages from a WIP.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
And all this griping about homework makes me glad I learned creative writing by doing it non-stop for like, 10 months. :p

I managed to cut down my current MS's synopsis to 500 words after excruciating editing, and it seems to have worked with my queries.

P.S. Just got another full sub request. :D

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
As do I, and I think the first two scenes of Lifelike would meet the length requirement with the proper formatting.

ETA: I know how to write perfectly well without class--I'm pretty sure I know more than my current professor. However, I'm majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing because that's what interests me.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Then make it exciting! It's your responsibility as the author.

Totally my favorite characters in Lifelike:

“[FONT=Garamond, serif]I'm a fairie,” Sugar announces, “with an I, like in lizard.”[/FONT]

“[FONT=Garamond, serif]Lizard starts with an L, dummy,” Plum bops her on the head with my flute and she turns on him with a scowl.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Garamond, serif]Yeah, but there's an I in it.”[/FONT]

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Because... it's not important to the plot.

I. AM. STUCK. D:

I've got "Better Than Drugs" by Skillet on repeat. It is totally Isaac's theme tune at the moment.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I would stop asking friends and family to read your work. If they were seriously interested, they'd be pestering you, not the other way around. I've learned to be careful about pushing people to read my work - often they're too polite to say no, and I end up forcing them into something they really don't want to do, which of course they avoid for months, and then they feel guilty and it's all terribly awkward.

You could always try joining Purgatory. Not just for people querying agents! Also for those looking for writing friends.

I try not to pester, when i was much younger I would then learned not to ever bug my mom with it. No one even knew I wrote till my boyfriend, and he originally begged me to read them. I let him and at first he was all excited and finished them in like two days. Then in the last two years he's completely stopped. He'll ask to read them on occasion then now, never does. It really pisses me off. But whatever, i cant relay on him to read all my stuff.

And lately I've been really depressed about my writing, more just the fact that I've gotten nowhere in the 10 years I've been writing my books. I at least thought I could send out a query now. So i'm hoping to somehow expand my practically non-existence support circle.

And the link doesn't work... where is that again?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok quick question for you guys.

I'm setting up part of my submission for Strange Chemistry's open door period. One part says to "A full synopsis of the novel, including brief descriptions of the major characters." So that means like a little Character Bio section right?

Would this be along the lines of what they are looking for?
Laura Wishnowski – Thirteen years old, girl, with shoulder length light red hair, dark blue eyes and freckles. She is the Third Freak with the abilities of Attention to detail, and Memory, giving her the capabilities to notice the most minute details, and remember everything like a human video recorder. She is usually quiet taking everything in around her, but around those she is comfortable with she is often sarcastic and argumentative.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess something like that, but I honestly have no idea on that one.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
That's way too long for a brief description. I suspect what they're looking for is a synopsis that briefly (and I mean briefly) incorporates key information about the main characters. For example:

ALLY MEDVEC is a bullied 13-year-old who hides away from life. Until the day LAURA WISHNOWSKI bangs on her door needing to hide from a monster. Ally can barely believe Laura's incredible story, but when Ally steps outside, she realises that Laura is telling the truth: Everyone has disappeared. The only people left on the face of the earth are a handful of 13-year-old outcasts.

That's a brief sketch of the key information about Ally. You could include more information (strictly relevant information) as the synopsis unfolds. I definitely wouldn't add a separate character bios section at the end. Physical appearance is particularly irrelevant - if you wanted to grip someone with this amazing story you've written about Laura, full of action and suspense, you wouldn't start with "Well, she's got shoulder-length light red hair, dark blue eyes and freckles ..."

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Asking Para is always the answer!

Okay, Ari, check your FB. Imma get changed and start on homework.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! What they were asking for confused me. So I've already started both! I had a feeling i was wrong with the list sort of thing. THANK YOU!!!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
No problem. I think Strange Chemistry really just want a standard synopsis and they're trying to explain that a synopsis also requires some character information.

Status
Not open for further replies.