Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The awkward moment when you go from fun Glee to agnsty Linkin Park...

ETA: And now it's Disney...

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
IT'S NOT ALL EMPTY SPACE HOW DARE YOU

THERE ARE TREES

BIG TREES

THE TREES HAVE FEELINGS TOO

ETA: I'm sort of leaning toward Samantha, and Meg (Moriarty's working name, short for Megara) always calls her Sam and she's like *death glare* " It's Samantha."

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful trees...

Newfoundland is the place to be, though.

You can get a ferry to a part of France from Newfoundland!

Well, St. Pierre...

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
IT'S NOT ALL EMPTY SPACE HOW DARE YOU

THERE ARE TREES

BIG TREES

THE TREES HAVE FEELINGS TOO

ETA: I'm sort of leaning toward Samantha, and Meg (Moriarty's working name, short for Megara) always calls her Sam and she's like *death glare* " It's Samantha."

ETA: That sounds fun. :D

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Could never do Newfoundland long-term. I'm a city girl! Born for Toronto, Montreal, New York, Boston, London, Chicago...

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
St. John's doesn't really hold up. I mean, it's great, but I could never LIVE there. that's me, personally.

I should have said, MAJOR cities. Major walking cities.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Evening team. I'm buried under clients right now. It's so weird to even type those words. Clients. My clients! All the clients!

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Yay clients! GO PARA GO!

ETA: the main problem with Samantha is that the other MC is Sophie. Technically, Marie-Sophie, but still.

Maybe I should change her name to Genevieve... Nah, I like Sophie.

ETA: VERONICA for the Sherlockette, maybe.

Last edited:

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Killed the thread...

So yeah, I'm leaning toward Veronica or something similar at the moment. 'twas my great-grandmother who lives to 100's name. My sister was born on her hundredth birthday so it's her middle name.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Veronica is a rich, upper-class name, to my ear. Is that good? Your lady Sherlock is the rich one, right?

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble but the premise of a teenage girl as a detective is enough to draw comparisons to the greatest television show ever Veronica Mars.

Not that "taken" names have ever stopped other authors, but I thought I'd bring that up.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, true to both of you!

A name I was going to consider was Minerva. It's one of my faces for her, but I don't want Artemis Fowl comparisons (which features a rather sociopathic and brilliant Minerva).

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I vote against Piper. For the obvious reason that my beloved character's name is Pip, although mine is short for Pipkin. And shockingly no its not a fantasy book. There is quite a funny story behind my MC's name.

As on the topic of female Sherlock Holmes, both of my female MC's in LotF are. Both in slightly different ways, as is there ability. I'd dive in farther but Para is reading it right now and i don't want to give away any hints early.

Although has anyone seen Sherlock Holmes the new movies? Well you know how before he fights someone he seems to play it all out in his head first? My MC's does that with everything. I almost died and was freaking out in the theater because that is EXACTLY what my MC's does. Hence why she is the mastermind of the group!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I like the name Veronica FWIW but, although I don't know that show talked about above, it's probably best not to use the name. So I'm not much help...

I'm kinda pumped at the moment because my YA urban fantasy short, "Goddess of Death" is in the Dark Light anthology by CH&BB Publishing which was published today!!!! So hooray! :hooray: Not a huge accomplishment, but I'm excited, especially because my humble story is among so many other talented writers' stories. :)

Anyway, off to edit.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I like Veronica too, it's a tough choice. I'll sleep on it :-D

ETA: Veronica Mars is huge, but it's a little older than you. Not that you aren't perfectly capable of loving it! But when it was really big, you and I were both younger than the target audience. It ended in... What, 2007? I was just eleven that year, and you would have been even younger, so it wasn't necessarily part of our lives.

Last edited:

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I like Veronica too, it's a tough choice. I'll sleep on it :-D

ETA: Veronica Mars is huge, but it's a little older than you. Not that you aren't perfectly capable of loving it! But when it was really big, you and I were both younger than the target audience. It ended in... What, 2007? I was just eleven that year, and you would have been even younger, so it wasn't necessarily part of our lives.

I don't think VM was ever "big." It's more of a cult classic. But those who like it, fucking love it. Those who don't, don't.

It ended in 2006, and I still mourn its loss to this day.

It was cancelled by The CW because it was pulling in only 3 million views. Compare that to their other programs, which were several orders of magnitude more popular.

So VM isn't popular (heh, kinda like Veronica herself). As far as TV goes it's kinda niche--but as I said, if you like it, you will like it a lot.

Anyway, I vote for Meredith, Tally.

ETA: Also, congrats MR :D

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats MR!!! That's still awesome! You should be proud!

Grrrrrr, So anyone here ever try that beta reader while your still writing the book, method? Has it worked for you? I feel i might need something like that for this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.