Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I want to meet you all!

This so much.

Tally, if you come to London, I will show you all the places in MAAH!

I need to hand work in by 4PM Monday, so I'm going to do a shopping list for when I go so I know what I want when I go to the shopping centre nearby afterwards.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I REALLY KEEP ASKING MY MOM TO SEND ME THIS SUMMER but we don't have time.

But I'll be in London before I'm out of high school!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
D:

ETA: I HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTORS SOON. I DON'T WANT TO.

Also, I may alternate between Underdogs and Sticks and Stones every day.

ETA2: I shall be back later.

Last edited:

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
That's nice.

Lunch period!

Hey, so for absolutely no reason, what's everyone's favorite war?

ETA: Favorite as in most interesting to them! Not as in LIKING war.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
American Revolutionary war is my favorite. American Civil war its my boyfriends.

I'm so mad, when i went to london it was before I even knew about AW.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Same, Ally. I was eleven.

My favorite war... either WWII, because it depresses me, or the Hundred Years War, because... it lasted a hundred years.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Out of the World Wars, The second is my favorite too.

My list of favorite wars:
1) Revolutionary
2) WWII
3) Irish War of Independence

Nothing against England.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...lem-with-that/2012/02/28/gIQA1SBbgR_blog.html

How come people are so pissed off about Watson being a female character in Elementary? Like, seriously? There are a lot more controversial things in Sherlock, but people aren't pissed about that. But go ahead and take a male character and make him female? That's ridiculous! There's no way there can be a smart, loyal yet not romantically involved companion with combat experience and a medical degree who is female!

Grr, people bug me. Like, you're surprised? Me too. You're not sure how it's going to work? Okay, that's cool. But if you think Sherlock Holmes' only worth is a bromance, just stick to Sherlock and Downey Jr.

Sorry, guys, it just really bugs me that a public domain male character being turned into a woman is the WORST THING EVER and just one step away from turning him into a RAPPING CARTOON CHARACTER (yes, that's being said). And then the fact that WATSON ISN'T ASIAN OMG is also exploding across the internet.

Prejudice pisses me off.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I dont really find that prejudice, i find that fans that are pissed off the show isnt based strictly to the original. To make someone that is suppose to be a guy a girl would piss me off too, if your calling whatever this is Sherlock Holmes

Like i was pissed to all hell because of the Series of Unfortunate Events movies because they changed everything around and didnt follow the order it was in the books. If they had changed one of the MC's to a different sex i would have walked out of the theater.

You dont even want me to get started with the disgrace of a movie called The last airbender.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Hey everyone!

Ally - I used to love Avatar: The Last Airbender...I haven't watched the show in a while but the fact that the movie was whitewashed really turned me off.

And then there's the 21 JumpStreet remake. I never watched the original show but I know that it had a diverse cast and...ugh.

In other news - I'm working on my college essay. I have to submit my application tomorrow and I can't seem to get it to be perfect...urgh.

I also just posted what I have of my YA Contemp on Inkpop just to see what other people think of it. Still waiting for a critique...

How is everyone?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I dont really find that prejudice, i find that fans that are pissed off the show isnt based strictly to the original. To make someone that is suppose to be a guy a girl would piss me off too, if your calling whatever this is Sherlock Holmes

Everyone raves about the BBC TV series Sherlock, which is set in 2012, with text messages and everything. And in the Hollywood films, Robert Downey Jr is basically playing Iron Man in a deerstalker. Everybody loves both series. What's so terribly wrong about one character being a girl that doesn't apply to Iron Man Sherlock?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on whether you're doing a straight adaptation or a reinterpretation.

Re-doing Sherlock Holmes as a girl is different than making Sokka white: One is trying to use an old character in a new way, to find new insights, and to make them more bonable! Making Sokka white - but not changing ANYTHING ELSE about the character - is just being a fucking dick.

Though, actually, they did change a lot of things about Sokka...they made him boring, whiny, unfunny, incompetent...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I've never watched whatever show you are talking about. I've seen the movies yes. Now I dont believe there is anything wrong with watson being a girl, but if your calling the show Sherlock Homes, I'd watch it expecting to see two guys. I can see why others are pissed off, especially really big fans of Sherlock Homes. I'm a big fan so i would be pretty pissed if there was a woman, but that's why i dont watch new remakes of shows because i understand people are going to take there own liberties with the show. Now i loved the movies (sorry never watched Iron man) but if in the movies your calling Sherlock Homes, watson was a girl, yeah i'm going to be pissed because Watson in the books is a guy and i'm expecting a guy. Now if its called Holmes and its based on sherlock homes, then i wouldnt be too pissed because its "based"

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've never watched whatever show you are talking about. I've seen the movies yes. Now I dont believe there is anything wrong with watson being a girl, but if your calling the show Sherlock Homes, I'd watch it expecting to see two guys. I can see why others are pissed off, especially really big fans of Sherlock Homes. I'm a big fan so i would be pretty pissed if there was a woman, but that's why i dont watch new remakes of shows because i understand people are going to take there own liberties with the show. Now i loved the movies (sorry never watched Iron man) but if in the movies your calling Sherlock Homes, watson was a girl, yeah i'm going to be pissed because Watson in the books is a guy and i'm expecting a guy. Now if its called Holmes and its based on sherlock homes, then i wouldnt be too pissed because its "based"

The upcoming TV series with the female Watson isn't called Sherlock Holmes. It's called Elementary. So by your definition it's now completely okay that Watson is a girl, right? :tongue

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine how upset people would be if they suddenly decided to make the Doctor a girl (I don't know how that would work) but honestly a character is a character and actors are made to portray characters no matter who they are, male or female.

I mean way back when men played the parts of women in the Shakespearen days so whose to say a women can't play a 'man's role'?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I would love for the next Doctor to be Helen Mirren. Helen freaking Mirren! She wants the job and she'd be amazing.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, so for absolutely no reason, what's everyone's favorite war?

The Great War! It was when the USA finally beat France and Germany, conquered and occupied Canada, and showed those so and sos in the Confederate states whats what!

Bully!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am back.

I love the idea of a female Doctor.

Tally: I love WWII. It really fascinates me. That's my second favourite era. The 60s is my first and Victorian is my third.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I would LOVE to see the Doctor as a girl. Though I'm not really sure how that would work with River.

Keep River. Keep River! Since we're imagining, why not a lady Doctor married to another kickass woman? :D

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
I would LOVE to see the Doctor as a girl. Though I'm not really sure how that would work with River.

It could work!

Haha. I don't know what actress I would want to play the Doctor but I do know that I'd rather see someone 'new' get the role over someone who has already gotten many roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.