Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Dead thread is dead.

I keep drinking coffee at night wanting to make loads of progress because I'm pretty sure I work best at night, but I've been falling asleep too soon before I make good progress. That happened the last two nights. Ah well.

Gonna be working on TL this Valentine's Day and living vicariously through the characters that are like Zack and me. Long distance relationships suck. I miss him so much. At least I got to talk to him earlier :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You should find out more before you get too deep in it, IMO.

I'm not 100% clear where you're coming from. If you buy an album in a supermarket, it's your property, and you have every right to resell it. It's not like she's running an illicit bootlegging operation. :tongue

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not 100% clear where you're coming from. If you buy an album in a supermarket, it's your property, and you have every right to resell it. It's not like she's running an illicit bootlegging operation. :tongue

It is a little odd, though. From my standpoint, they'd be paying a market price for the CD. Which means they'd have to sell it above market price to make a profit. But then why would someone buy a CD for above market price from them when they could buy it cheaper straight from the source?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't notice it was Valentine's Day. My parents don't celebrate it, so I never have.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
MusicMagpie is legal. There's loads of websites that you can re-sell stuff. Just like trading in phones for money. You can trade in music/dvds/games for money/gift cards. Honestly, it's perfectly safe. I hardly doubt they'd advertise on TV if it was illegal.

On another note: I've been looking into beta's and a friend on fb/twitter who is an author has said her editor would look through my novella for me. But she charges £5 an hour, £20 advance. I'm like o_O Do I pay it all and hope for the best? I'm almost terrified. I don't have a job, so I'd have to use credit card, but then again, I think at least this way I'll have had my story properly checked and I'll know for certain (well, from the opinion of a recommended editor, anyway) whether it's worth publishing. I'm also scared because as much as I love my story, I know it needs work doing - I just don't know in what way, so that's why I'm wanting it looked over. I feel like I'm about to send my baby to be executed.

F.M.L

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It is a little odd, though. From my standpoint, they'd be paying a market price for the CD. Which means they'd have to sell it above market price to make a profit. But then why would someone buy a CD for above market price from them when they could buy it cheaper straight from the source?

I seriously doubt they're paying much for old CDs. Most people would be happy to sell old CDs pretty cheaply just to get rid of them. Same principle as books - sold full-price at a high-street retailer, read, then resold cheaply to a second-hand bookseller, who adds a small markup and resells at a low price to second-hand buyers.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have no one to celebrate Valentine's Day with.

I have no soppiness to work on (Sticks and Stones isn't sweet enough to count) so I'm going to plot more of TMB later. Which is dark/bittersweet, at least at the moment, in my head. :tongue

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You're a really cynical bunch today, and I don't say that very often. :tongue

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I've traded loads of games back through Amazon. Pretty much works the same basis as MusicMagpie. I really don't get the problem. It's better than having them lie around the house all the time, not being used.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not 100% clear where you're coming from. If you buy an album in a supermarket, it's your property, and you have every right to resell it. It's not like she's running an illicit bootlegging operation.

:tongue Sorry. I'm a little cynical. A friend of mine sold some stuff through a website and didn't read the Terms and Conditions and ended up losing a bunch of money.

ETA: I'm not saying there's anything dangerous about what Lisa's doing! I'm saying that's the reason I've always been cynical about selling stuff online. This music website is probably completely fine.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Aha, I see. I think selling off old CDs is a pretty low-risk enterprise. There's not much money in it, so there's nothing to lose. I'd be a lot more careful about selling an iPad, say.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Why do I feel like I have to be careful about what I say in future? :tongue

Something I hate about really early starts: I can't stay up all night plotting/writing if I want to. :(

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Why do I feel like I have to be careful about what I say in future? :tongue

Something I hate about really early starts: I can't stay up all night plotting/writing if I want to. :(

Ha. Setting my own business hours is a perk of being self-employed. Today I started work well after 10am.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
You guys, I had an exam at 7:00 AM this morning. I was up before 6 AM. Every day, classes start at 8:00 AM. 9:00 would be HEAVEN.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
My earliest class at college was at 9:40. I think I only ever took one class at that time. But I had a 45-minute commute, so I had to wake up earlier. All my other classes started past 11:20. I took a lot of night classes too that start at 6 or 5:45 and end at 9:15 or 9.

But I quit school, so my days lack structure. I wake up past noon mostly lol.

Making coffee and then it's time to write!

ETA: Tally - When you're in college, morning classes are HELL.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm. I am done done done not only with 7am exams, but all other exams too. And classes. It feels good. :tongue

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
It takes me an hour and a half to get there, and I need at least an hour to get ready in the morning...

ETA: Plan for tonight: Plot for nearly an hour, watch TV, plotting during the breaks, and then bed.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
My earliest class at college was at 9:40. I think I only ever took one class at that time. But I had a 45-minute commute, so I had to wake up earlier. All my other classes started past 11:20. I took a lot of night classes too that start at 6 or 5:45 and end at 9:15 or 9.

But I quit school, so my days lack structure. I wake up past noon mostly lol.

Making coffee and then it's time to write!

ETA: Tally - When you're in college, morning classes are HELL.

I've been told that, but I can't really imagine it. Unless I'm jet-lagged, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to sleep past 8:30. And that's really late for me. So late, in fact, that if my mother is up at that time and I'm not, she comes to check up on me.

Generally, I wake up at 7:00. I'm EXHAUSTED, but I'm a swimmer so I'm programmed for early mornings.

But I've never been to college, so we'll see.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I seriously doubt they're paying much for old CDs. Most people would be happy to sell old CDs pretty cheaply just to get rid of them. Same principle as books - sold full-price at a high-street retailer, read, then resold cheaply to a second-hand bookseller, who adds a small markup and resells at a low price to second-hand buyers.

Ohhhh. I thought she was buying new CDs and then turning around and selling them right away.

Last semester I had a class at eight in the morning. Never again. I think I would cry if I had an exam at seven. This semester my earliest is at nine.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
AND I have a 7:00 AM MATH exam tomorrow.

I am terrible at math, and this is a really important exam. I could cry.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I hated Maths at school with a passion. I was so happy when I passed and realised I didn't have to do it anymore!!

Status
Not open for further replies.