Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I never assume people would think that.

But that may be because over the years people have come to realize that my flirting is more of a sign of boredom than interest.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use my exes or ex-crush names because I'm afraid the characters will end up being too much like them.

I don't really have to worry about my exes seeing a character named after them and thinking it's them. They don't read.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Haha well maybe it's just me but I go for very confident guys and I know they definitely would think like that. I'm sure a couple of them will assume any LIs I write are based on them anyway. :tongue

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
One name I really want to use is Adrian. I love that name. But, my friends cousins name is Adrian, and people used to tease me about him... They still do, so I guess it's out of the picture.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I remember my Crazy Ex getting all kinds of butthurt over me using his middle name to name a female supporting character. :tongue

Also, I still love that Para's psycho character's name coincided with Crazy Ex's first name. Don't think that one will ever get old. Though I guess the re-naming makes sense in the spirit of not offending any people you actually uh...like. ;)

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I only really had one ex, and I subtly named a jerk after him lol. Said ex and I are friends again, but I'm still keeping the name. The name stuck on me for the jerk/antagonist, but my ex is okay with it (I did tell him about the name thing lol).

It's funny because in describing a snippet I was explaining for YAWN, I accidentally used my ex's name instead of the character's name. Woops lol

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Um...

Emil in MAAH is named after Emil in the second Tales of Symphonia? Which, by the way, isn't even half as good as the first game. But that's where the name came from.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
GAH triple post but the thread is dead!

My legs are getting more muscular from all my leg workouts.

But on a real topic, what are everyone's writing goals this year?

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Okay... Now it's the Two Towers. This is more than 100 pages less than the first, so hopefully I won't be as long.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to query for the first time ever before the end of the year. I know it'll be either CMRH or TL. Though, I still think I might send to N@talie L@kosil only first and see if I can snag her as my agent without having to query anyone else. Though, a part of me does still want the full query experience...we'll see when I'm at that stage, I guess lol

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I avoided the whole "crazy ex offended your used their name" debacle by cleverly disguising it in an anagram. I've re-used initials as well, but not whole names.

Besides, I'm a mystery writer. I fully expect to go to my high school reunion having used every social archetype as a base for a victim and having my cruder (to put it delicately) classmates go "Did you kill me off because of that one time I made a short joke?" like I cared enough about them to hold a grudge.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... Now that I think about it, all my characters have similarities. Usually it's the brown hair. I need to stop that...

What's Elemental, Tally?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
ELEMENTAL is what I'm currently writing along with TRL.

OMG Ely email me all your thoughts right naaaaaoooooo.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I would be so scared to query. I can write stories all day along and post them on the internet for all to read, but querying is a different ballgame that I am very scared of. I mean I know I have to overcome that fear if I want to ever get published in my lifetime.

I know I am suppose to expect rejection during querying, but I fear it nonetheless.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Ely- Off With Her Head, the sequel to Mad As A Hatter, is... not going to be finished for a while. I'm not done plotting :tongue I'm going to write TRL and ELEMENTAL and then OWHH.

ETA: I am anxiously awaiting this email.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Can you guys do me a quick favor and check out my blog?

Wondering if the header looks okay and if the new format for my posts is interesting? That info is on the right sidebar

Link is in siggy.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
WHY DO I ALWAYS KILL THE THREAD?

But yeah. Querying. To be honest, writing is one of the only things I'm not crippling lay insecure about (the only thing along with performing) so rejections don't bother me. Because they're not rejecting ME, they're rejecting my story.

ETA: right as I post the thread is back to life.

ETA: thanks Ely! That is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thank you SO MUCH.

Status
Not open for further replies.