Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so tired... have written 6.9K so far. BUT I AM GOING TO FINISH THIS SCENE BEFORE I SLEEP!!!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks... i just keep telling my self. I think i can, i think i can.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I did, Ely.

I've been working for months on strengthening Corwin as a character. Now I'm wondering if he is a character or a stone wall.

Anyway, Ely, what Chapter are you on?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Grrrr.. ok what do you guys think. Who here technically "saves the day."

There is a large dragon. It breaths liquid nitrogen. There is an explosion and one of the two people gets knocked out. The other person tires to kill/distract the dragon away from the other person. As it is closing in on the person fighting it the other guy wakes up. he sees an opportunity as its head is trapped in a hole where the other person is hiding and plunges the his sword into the dragons head.

Who saved the day. Person 1? Person 2 or they both played an equal role?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, it all depends on each person's motivation for their actions. But I'd say it's equal, but Person 1 deserves more credit.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok good! I was hoping someone would say person 1. I'm worried that Matty might seem like he saves Evy a little more then the other way around.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
No, BUT you have to write it so it's clear that Evy's actions are pretty heroic. It all depends on how you write it.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah I know. They are, as are Matty's. They would both do anything to protect the other.

It was that Matty saved Evy last time, and now i wanted her to save him. They have a bet going who can save the other ones ass more. So far Matty is ahead by one, until this dragon.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I've been putting off editing all weekend. Will edit Inevitable today.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I still need to figure out how to make Corwin a three-dimensional character.

Give a few more quirks. Corwin seems like the kind of person who is capable of feeling but he keeps his feelings bottled up because of his profession, so play off of that. There is so much you can do with his character, so whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you won't go wrong. :)

I'm thinking about starting over with my wip. Third person is not easy to write. :(

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm soooo tired right now i cant figure out if what i just wrote is crap or brillant. Either case Matty and Evy just road a freaking dragon!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Give a few more quirks. Corwin seems like the kind of person who is capable of feeling but he keeps his feelings bottled up because of his profession, so play off of that. There is so much you can do with his character, so whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you won't go wrong. :)

I'm thinking about starting over with my wip. Third person is not easy to write. :(

I agree... i cant write third person to save my life.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
There's really no difference between first and third. It's just a matter of pronouns.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm generally happiest in third, because I can be more objective about my characters. But some stories are better told in first. It all depends.

Corwin's bottled-upedness will make more sense by the end of Chapter 2.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I'm generally happiest in third, because I can be more objective about my characters. But some stories are better told in first. It all depends.

Corwin's bottled-upedness will make more sense by the end of Chapter 2.

Yes, it does! But that's what I'm saying. In Chapter 2 his character is more three-dimensional than it was in Chapter 1. So...Corwin's character IS there. You just need to bring it out a little bit more. Otherwise, I'm loving MAAH. :D

And some books ARE told better in third person, which is why I thought my wip would be better written in third instead of first but I'm starting to think that maybe I was wrong.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah i'll agree with that. Plus when i write third person i write omni third, the way UZ is written people told me it was jarring because i'm jumped from Alex to Sam too much.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Not a huge fan of third omniscient tbh, but in general, I agree with Para. Sure, people tend to associate first with being more immediate and closer to the character, but really it all depends on what you make of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.