Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing much. Writing an action scene that i hope is really rather scary.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Choco - Just write and let the voice come out!

this is good advice.

I should just start.

(it's just, I'm sort of afraid of committing to something fundamentally flawed....I just need to stop over-thinking things and write, I guess.)

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Choco - JUST WRITE. Srsly. JUST WRITE.

Writing is all about trial and error. I'm on yet another rewrite of CMRH lol. And I also got 24K into TL before I realized my external conflicts were all wrong and I had to rewrite most of it. I tend to rewrite stuff a whole lot in general before I finish a WIP lol

YOU CAN DO IT. I've read your writing, and it is SO AWESOME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Keep on writing and get those lovely words out so I can read more! I don't think I've read your writing in like a year!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ever tried plotting? I plot when i'm stuck or in the beginning of a project. Just to get a sense where i'm going.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Choco's avi is the cutest ever! (Seriously, makes me want to reach through the screen and huggle it! :D)

Re: starting something new, I'm probably just as bad at that. I really need a more or less solid outline before I can start. Which often helps me to get a grip on a MC. In the past NaNo has been great to just get some ideas out there, but I usually end up tossing most of that as a "zero draft" and rewrite it in the end. It's good to just get started though.

Also, this is random, but I'm writing on my laptop and while I don't have this issue on my desktop, I keep wanting to touch and tap the screen like I'm using my iPad. Talk about kitty-cat mannerisms. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Dys, how are you?

Yeah i need to write an outline before i start something. As for voice troubles, just sit down and think about the character.

I'm in love with this secret SNI i have. I've been writing and outlining alot of it, but nothing for real yet. As i was coming up with the idea of it i just sat down and thought about what i wanted my characters to be like. There are two POV's Rose and Aiden who are twins. I wanted Rose to be a trouble making badass, with a bad temper and attitude. Why? Because i never really wrote a character like that. Yeah Ally is LotF can be like that at times, but its all an act. Then when thinking about Aiden i wondered if i should do the same thing. But i started thinking about there twin dynamic a little more and realized i wanted him different. He was the sensitive, quiet, shy, genius smart one who just went along with everything Rose did.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Choco - JUST WRITE. Srsly. JUST WRITE.

Writing is all about trial and error. I'm on yet another rewrite of CMRH lol. And I also got 24K into TL before I realized my external conflicts were all wrong and I had to rewrite most of it. I tend to rewrite stuff a whole lot in general before I finish a WIP lol

YOU CAN DO IT. I've read your writing, and it is SO AWESOME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Keep on writing and get those lovely words out so I can read more! I don't think I've read your writing in like a year!

thank you so much, karla. *hugs*
I really do want to write this novel.
And good luck with CMRH and TL, YOU CAN DO IT!

Ever tried plotting? I plot when i'm stuck or in the beginning of a project. Just to get a sense where i'm going.

I sometimes plot. (Like the WIP I finished last month I tried doing some outlining. But mostly, I write to find out what's going to happen next).

Choco's avi is the cutest ever! (Seriously, makes me want to reach through the screen and huggle it! :D)

Re: starting something new, I'm probably just as bad at that. I really need a more or less solid outline before I can start. Which often helps me to get a grip on a MC. In the past NaNo has been great to just get some ideas out there, but I usually end up tossing most of that as a "zero draft" and rewrite it in the end. It's good to just get started though.

Also, this is random, but I'm writing on my laptop and while I don't have this issue on my desktop, I keep wanting to touch and tap the screen like I'm using my iPad. Talk about kitty-cat mannerisms. :tongue

haha I love kitties <3

interesting, zero draft. that seems like a good writing process thing to do, actually.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
That's the same kind of plotting i do. i only plot as far as i need to, to know where i'm headed so i dont get stuck. Then when i get stuck i plot some more!

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
No problem, Choco! *hugs back* And thanks for the luck :)

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I'm shiny, thanks, Ally! :D

Choco, I don't remember where I read about zero drafts first, but they're definitely a good way if you just want to get an idea out there without caring much about quality. Personally, I think I tend to overanalyze things too much to be very successful at them, hence the outlining. Though that doesn't mean my inner pantser doesn't come out of the closet to play. That's usually when things get really fun and I think it's a good thing when writing allows for both outlining and just winging it. :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
very true. I just wrote a scene i completely winged. Karla seemed to get the feel i was going for, so success!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So anyone still awake? I got about 4 more big scary scenes on the mountains for my MC then the earth shattering Unknown, before the twist ending. Hoping i can finish all that in like 6-8K... and I'm going to try and write that all tonight!!!!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So i stayed up and only got another 3.7K written Bringing the grand total for today at 7 ish K i wrote. Yeah still not there yet.... DAMN IT. And my wordcount just keeps growing dangeriously high. Already almost at 116K.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I always admire your wordcounts. I wish I could write that fast.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Although this is the one book i wanted to keep shorter! I dont think i know how to write a less then 125K book anymore.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm good... rather tired, but i'm going to keep writing at least till the end of the Third dragon scene.

They finally kill one! Only one problem... it was a baby... and Momma is PISSED

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Oh no! Poor baby dragon.

I read a blog post about why you shouldn't open with dream sequences and I was thinking that instead of having my MC dream she could be captured by some kind of demon-thingy that warps dreams/make things seem real but they're not...I don't know. I'll just worry about fixing the beginning later.

I also need to read more books in third person. I have the first three Mortal Instruments books, so I think maybe I'll reread those.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no it was an evil ferocious baby dragon, who was going on one of it first "hunting" lessons. They didnt even know it was a baby they thought it was full sized... sadly it was much smaller.

Now i'm debating if they should ride the mom. Would save some time in there trip... and be cool as hell! But i dont know... could they really hold on at such high speeds and altitudes? Hummmm

What's wrong with opening a book with a dream? I've read a couple books that start off that way. But a kidnap seems cool too. I have one that starts off as a kidnapping/assassination.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that describing your character though a "Mirror scene" Is also apparently a big no no... but that's the only why humanly possible i can describe my character. Oh well. She's got amnesia...she doesnt know anything about herself, so how else was i going to describe her? Readers will have to deal with it, it only lasts a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.