Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on. I'm pretty good. Haven't really been working on anything writing-wise lately.

That's still good though. Sometimes you need a break.

Anyone think they might be interested in YAWNing?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
If not for the fact that I *seriously* need to be in bed in the next like 20 minutes I'd say I am. But I have a friend coming over in like 10 1/2-11 hours, and I have to sleep and shower and do laundry and homework before he does. So bed needs to happen soon for me.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah i'm still awake. Doing another late night writing session!

How are you?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ok. Busy and school sucks but whatever.

My writing is going really slow lately, but i started picking up a little tonight, although i feel the quality of the writing isnt the greatest. I dont know this stupid writing class i'm taking has me feeling that everything i write sucks.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Hate it when writing classes do that. Is this a workshop class?

I generally like writing classes, but what you get out of it really totally depends on the professor and the other people in your class. I felt like serious suckage in my first ever writing class in college, too and then there was the one class that I walked out on during the intro meeting when the prof went on and on about how fantasy and science fiction aren't "literature" and consequently have no place in her class (which was a general writing class) and how she did not want us to write LGBT characters. Stood up and left when half the class went "uh yeah, we don't want to read that kind of stuff" when I asked and yeah, that was that. My last two profs and classes were awesome though, probably because the people in it really took it seriously (and were giant nerds ;)) and because the profs were totally open and supportive. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah its a workshop class. I dont know its complicated. Like i really like my professor i think he's awesome and open minded. I think the problems lies with some of the assignments and readings.

he makes us read these in my opinion horribly stupid readings. Problem is i'm not an english major like everyone else in the class. I'm a chem major. So when we have to practice workshop these pieces i'm just pissed the whole time. I find them stupid. I feel like if I were to put an identical piece up in SYW here right now. My ass would be torn to shreds for countless reasons. But everyone in my class is talking about how amazing it is, and all these hidden meaning and stuff... NONE OF THEM MAKE ANY SENSE!!! GRRRRR!!!!

So for the assignments they are creative and really get you thinking, but for some reason i keep pulling different meaning from the assignments then everyone else. From what i can tell i'm not really "getting the point". For example we had to do one called Bear at the door. In which you had to write 1-2 pages about a character who has a pressing external conflict and a pressing internal conflict that is preventing them from fixing the external conflict.

So i've had this SNI working around in my head and just started writing. Now this scene would take place two books in, but it was on my mind and fit the criteria so i wrote it. Long story short yes, there are alot of characters, yes, I didnt really explain where they were... but from what i understood that wasnt the point of the assignment right?

I wrote about my MC's being hunted by the villains team. Suddenly they are caught and faced with a decision surrender, or die by bomb. (external conflict) Now my FMC is Rose, who is guess who? The Villains ex-girlfriend and who has known him since he was 5. Its up to her to decide what to do. But to even up the tension. One of the MC;s spots the Villain and is a sniper. So now the choices are Kill him and save themselves or die by bomb. Again Rose has to decide. (Internal conflict)

So i thought i matched the point of the assignment, but all i kept getting comments on were all the stuff i thought was irrelevant to the point of the assignment. Like i didnt know your characters, and i didnt know where they were or why they were being chased. It could only write 2 pages max!!!

Anyway i'm ranting sorry.

Last edited:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
You have to get permission from the people who made the photos you used in your cover, though, yeah?

Zoom, I would never want a cover I made on my book- I mean, if I self-published, yeah, but not through traditional publishing. I just do it for fun and to motivate me.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you would need the rights.

That's why i use rights-free pictures!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
You have to look up and check to see if they are public domain pictures. not all my covers are but most are free.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should go to school when it opens as one... It's only a hour and a half of school. Actually, a half hour is for lunch.

Seems pointless to me.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
This is a sight that can help

Tumblr is probably not your best way to go about finding fee images.

This can help you determine what pictures are free.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ally! I'm not going to change my covers now, but if I ever choose to self-publish I'll use those!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah it nothing to worry about now at all. My covers for 4,5, 9 and UZ hold copyrighted material, but its not going to kill anyone now in these stages.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

This morning class was cancelled, but I didn't find out until I got there (><), so I went to the shopping centre and bought index cards and glue dots to plot TMB. Now I need to decide:

a) Whether I'm going to plot based on past/present or based on the plot threads.

b) What wall I'm going to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.