Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I need help deciding what to do for one of my fiction classes - picking a project. Could you guys help me out?

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of help are you looking for???

On another note, my calfs are killing me. I went to a Rise Against concert and was bouncing and jumping up and down so much that my legs are utterly killing me now.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have to sumbit a 2.5K sample chapter from a novel (I'm going to check the leeway) and a synopsis, but I can't decide what to do - I have a bunch of possible canidates.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
save yourself the trouble and use a chapter you already wrote and use a query that you made for that book. Pick a chapter that has always stuck out to you and you feel is your best.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, okay...

Maybe I'll use Sticks and Stones. I'd have to write a synopsis for it anyway if I want to query it, so this will be good practice.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Very true.

Speaking of some help. Does anyone know where i could submit a short little story about 1.5K to? Like a magazine or something?

One of my class assignments is that i submit something to somewhere. And I found a really good flash fiction/short story thing i wrote back that i feel could be excepted somewhere.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, find a magazine that sumbits your genre. I can't think of any American ones off the top of my head.

I need to write a proposal for my tutor to look at in a few weeks (non-graded), but that shouldn't be too hard.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
There lays the problem. I dont even know what the genre of the little story is. Its from the viewpoint of technically a villain.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a fiction magazine that publishes any genre?

Random question: Do you think Dragon Speaking is good for subconcious notes?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
What? I'm a little confused by your question. Do you mean the software Natural Dragon speaking? And how do you want to make subconscious notes? I dont even know what subconscious notes are.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Lemme explain... Well, I'll try.

When I'm coming up with a plot or a solution to a story problem, I talk to my muse (in my head, sometimes out loud). But when I try and put it all down somewhere, I... try too hard if that makes sense. And it becomes very difficult/stressful.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
See, I agree that the basic traits of a person stay the same. But I don't believe being a bully is a basic trait. I believe it's a product of a person's nature.

Don't get me wrong. That doesn't make it okay. If someone's dad beats them, it doesn't make it okay for them to beat their son. If someone's brother was murdered, it doesn't make it okay for them to murder another person's brother. This is one of the things I want to make clear in MAAH and OWHH: Hatter had a lot of terrible things happen to him, and there is a reason he does the things he does. But equally terrible things happened to Emil, and during MAAH he grows out of being a terribly angry and realizes that he needs to break the cycle. (I'm going to work on this in my edits).

Anyway, my point is that most things that define you are things you choose, and the fact that you choose it doesn't mean it's set in stone.

ETA: I hate when I'm the only person in school and have to miss stuff here.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Lemme explain... Well, I'll try.

When I'm coming up with a plot or a solution to a story problem, I talk to my muse (in my head, sometimes out loud). But when I try and put it all down somewhere, I... try too hard if that makes sense. And it becomes very difficult/stressful.

I really cant answer that question for you. Its worth looking into if you can borrow it from someone, but it might not be worth blowing $100 if it isnt.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I would use the voice recorder I got from the disabled students service.. thing, but I hate using my voice.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Then... don't write it all down.

or draw diagrams. that's what I do.

sometimes I write it.

sometimes I don't write it anywhere.

often I take notes on my blackberry.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
What you described for that Hatter are severe traumas that changed him. I dont know who that Hatter is, but in the case of murder's who murder based on trauma's that happened in there past, that is something that changed them and there personality.

People with abusive parents are like 90% more likely to abuse there own kids, because that is a trauma that happened to them as a child, and that is the coping strategics they are taught by example. There was a study we learned about in my psych class in which they took abusive men and asked about there childhood, almost all were abused themselves. Then they did a study of those abused as children and the majority of them abused there own children the ones that didn't had to work very very very hard to maintain control of themselves. Which took extreme will power.

In my opinion, bullying itself isnt a trait but that evil inside, that feeling that you need to put others down to make yourself feel better, or that slight sociopathic need to torment others, is a trait of personality. Whatever caused those traits might have been from trauma itself. But i still believe its a part of a person.

In TAJ, Matty is one of those people. His dad abused him severely after his mother died, and he grew up into the bully he was. But then the trauma of Nesia, showed him how he could be different. So he changed himself... and was forced to change himself, through great effort. And even in the following books he still struggles with those old tendencies of evil and abuse.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I really got lost in all the diagram talk. I dont know how you guys do it. That would just make me all the more confused. My method is to just think it all up and then write it all down.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Tally: I can sort of get what you mean. PLUS YOU GET TO USE PRETTY COLOURS. :D

Jumping into yours and Ally's convo -- Isaac bullies Stephan because he is scared of his own homosexuality. His father abuses him whenever he shows the smallest sign of not being a 'typical' man, and that is because his wife - Isaac's mum - left him to be with a woman. He was always homophobic, but that... made it worse.

Eventually, Isaac comes to terms with his sexuality, and slowly he stops bullying.

I'm still confused as to why he's fine with his mum being a lesbian...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting fact alert!

A study was done in which they measured the arousal of men, after showing them pictures. They had three categories. Homosexual, heterosexual, and heterosexual severe homophobic men. They showed all three categories the same pictures of naked men an women. Funny thing was a vast majority of heterosexual severely homophobic men, ended up the most aroused by naked men then women! Proving why they were homophobic because they in fact had feelings for men.

Status
Not open for further replies.