Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
OH GOSH I MISSED THE JOSH HUTCHERSON CONVERSATION.

To all you eastern time zone and onward folk, I'm in the future, I guess you can say.

And what a great way to finish the year with Toronto losing to Winnipeg Jets and Canada beating the US in the World Juniors. :)

ETA: TALLY! I'm so sorry about your sister! So many injuries and stuff like that around Christmas here, too. My pops friend died of either a brain aneurysm or a stroke (I haven't heard what actually happened yet) on the day after Boxing Day, and my eat friends nan got ran over by her van before Christmas Eve. Well, it ran over leg, but the funny thing it wasn't broken....

Long edit. But I do hope your sister is alright.

Last edited:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaand to start off the new year...

...a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Japan.

Wow, this looks like it'll be a great year.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad your sister is ok Tally.

Yeah totally late with this but wasn't on yesterday.

Yeah my holidays have really sucked too. But holidays always suck.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Well... My new year started out wonderfully. I should've been in bed hours ago, but I worked on a project instead. ...I knew I missed the guys I hung out with tonight! :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
All i did today was go foodshopping for my grandmom, clean my entire house hard core and barely got acknowledged for it, took a long nap, and baked brownies. Really boring disappointing day.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm peachy. Just playing around with the opening of my YA dystopian. I'm figuring out an awesome scheme for my girl character to run so it can intersect spectacularly with the equally awesome scheme of the boy characters.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
sounds cool!

My MCs are currently being taken to a gorgon to be sold to her.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR. This will be the year when I finish a WIP (have to put writing dates in diary). :D

We had a power cut last night.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Years everyone... not only is my brother STILL in hospital after his operations, but we just got news that he may have pneumonia. Great start to 2012, eh? It seems the world really is gonna end, since a lot of people are in hospital now. ^_^ (that was a joke, but not a very funny one)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that Helena Bonham Carter has got a CBE. This makes me very happy. She's a fantasic actress. :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Kat, i hope your brother gets better soon. Pneumonia's not fun, i had it once. Well think about it this way, maybe your getting all the horribleness out of your year early and the rest of the year will be great!

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Ok can someone tell me what they think?

Third person, now i dont like writing in third person, but when i do I like to get into all the characters heads. Omniscient Third Person correct? Isnt that aloud and possible to do in a book without each of the characters getting there own chapter or whatever?

And another thing. Character discriptions. I was having a long conversation with my friends when we were talking about writing rules and such. One thing that keep getting brought up in my own writing but I honestly dont see what is wrong with it. Is character description. Like i said the other day one of my own huge turn offs in books is when the characters are vaugly discribed. this really bothers me because from the very beginning i like to have that clear picture of each character in my mind. That is why in my own writing i discribe my characters usually only in two or three sentences. For example:

Is that sooooooo against the rules? Really? I understand its a bit of telling, but is it really going to kill anyone? From what my one friend told me Harry Potter characters are described in a very similar way. I also know other books that do the same thing... So is it just a matter of personal opinion or is it just TOOO much telling?

I don't really see anything wrong with that O_O Am I the only one? Really? As far as I can remember, Harry Potter did have similar descriptions... I've never minded those, it helped me visualize the characters better. I don't want those kind of details to be left out. I was actually annoyed when Roland's hair color was only revealed in the third book of the Dark Tower series when he was being described by another character. I imagined him as a blond for some reason!

Oh, and a happy new year! I'm pretty sure it's already 2012 no matter what timezone you're in.

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
The holidays seem to be disastrous for everyone this year o_O I spent most of the time between Christmas and New years going to the funeral of my grandma. I wasn't all that close to her, so I wasn't particularly sad, just feeling bad for all the people that showed up at the funeral... I felt like they knew an entirely different person than I did.

Last edited:

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Kat, i hope your brother gets better soon. Pneumonia's not fun, i had it once. Well think about it this way, maybe your getting all the horribleness out of your year early and the rest of the year will be great!

Oh god I hope so. I mean, I'm coping okay with it, but it's tearing my mum up, despite how well she hides it. I don't think we can take much more of it really. He's been through the works.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
YAY! I'm not the only one!

I really keep getting mixed reactions about it because like 9 out of 10 other writers HATE it saying that sentence or two is WAY too telly. But all the non-writers who read it was like "So? What's wrong with it, I know what the guy/girl looks like now, isnt that what your suppose to do?"

I agree with you, the biggest thing that pisses me off in books is when i dont know what a characters look like or there age right away. I want to know what the character looks like the moment i read about them so i have that mental picture. And if they dont tell me the details and i come up with my own only to find out i was wrong later on, it just pisses me off.

Sorry about your loss Ivi.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh god I hope so. I mean, I'm coping okay with it, but it's tearing my mum up, despite how well she hides it. I don't think we can take much more of it really. He's been through the works.

I could imagine what its like for your mom. My grandmom was beside herself when my mom had to get her operation two weeks ago. Again i wish your brother you, and your family the best of luck during this time. Don't know if your religious but i'll pray for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.