Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
oddly enough the one thing that made me feel really really old, was when I was trying to chat up my little 8 year old cousin.

"hey Colin what are you watching?"
"Cars 2"
"Cool, you like Disney then?"
"Yeah."
"What your favorite Disney Movie?"
"Pirates of the Caribbean"
"Oh Really? What about your favorite cartoon one?"
"What do you mean?"
"Like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Toy Story, Lion King, stuff like that?"
"Oh that's classic Disney. I like Cars."

I ALMOST DIED! CLASSIC???

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out if I can get Fur Fighters for my laptop or DS. I used to love playing that.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Here, for US last names. Its from the US censes Don't know where you can find ones that are more prevalent in the UK though.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I could play a Windows 98 game on Windows 7 or if it's too old.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I usually want little kids to back off my Disney. I'm like kid, that is MY childhood right there. Of course I plan to make my kids have my childhood, because most of the kid shows these days are awful so they're not watching them. Bleh.

And Lisa, it usually depends on the game. I've had some that work on newer systems and others that don't.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Fur Fighters. I want to play Fur Fighters.

What I would really like is to be able to do is play it on my 3DS...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you for specific games, you have to put it in the drive and actually test it...but you're not going to be able to play it on your 3DS. Gaming just really doesn't work like that.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so my MC's in UZ turn evil by the end of the book. But they have a reason for it, which is explained and shown in the first half of the book. And although they come up with this amazingly genius plan, they never actually kill anyone themselves, they manipulate there other targets to do it. There more like puppet masters secretly pulling small strings that they predict will get there targets to do things to there other targets, creating a domino effect.

Point is, if you read a book in which the two MC's do this and end up "technically" responsible for 6 deaths, 3 people in prison, 1 in a mental institute, and 1 who is so utterly crushed they cant get out of bed. How evil would you find them in the end. On a scale from like 1-10, 10 being Americas most wanted, and 1 being as innocent as a baby. Generally.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
They'd still be a 10 to me.

In Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, the anime I'm rewatching right now, you find out in season 2 that a character introduced VERY early on in season 1 is technically responsible for everything going on. It's not her who beats two girls to death with a baseball bat, or tortures and kills an eight year old girl, or tries to blow up a school after chopping up a grown man and woman, or does any of the other million terrible things that happen in this series. But for the most part, it's still all her fault.

Same sorta thing. I once ran a panel on this anime at a convention and ended up asking for a show of hands for who hated that character. Every single hand in the room went up. So people still see the "technically" responsible as just as bad in a lot of cases.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on their reasons for doing it, how likeable they are as characters, whether they feel any remorse or doubt, etc. My urban fantasy protagonist basically gives the antagonist a list of names of people to kill, resulting in (among other things) a crowded nightclub being set on fire with 50+ deaths, but readers never blame him.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably blame him, but it wouldn't necessarily make me dislike them. Ex. I wholeheartedly blame Harry for Cedric's death, and for Sirius's, but that doesn't mean I love him any less.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand Sirius, but how is Harry responsible for Cedric's death? There was literally absolutely no way he could have known that the cup was a portkey.

And even Sirius isn't entirely his fault - the kid was fifteen. That's my age. Is he partially to blame? Well, yeah, a lot. But it wasn't entirely his fault.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's knowingly responsible, but if he hadn't insisted that Cedric take the cup with him, that death wouldn't have occurred. He's also not knowingly responsible for Sirius's death, but it is still the result of a choice he made.

It's like the anime I compared it to. Takano wasn't knowingly responsible for Rika/Keiichi/Satoko/Shion/Mion/Tomitake/Irie/other people dying 19358890589 or so times, but it was the result of a choice she made. That's what I'm getting at.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's knowingly responsible, but if he hadn't insisted that Cedric take the cup with him, that death wouldn't have occurred. He's also not knowingly responsible for Sirius's death, but it is still the result of a choice he made.

It's like the anime I compared it to. Takano wasn't knowingly responsible for Rika/Keiichi/Satoko/Shion/Mion/Tomitake/Irie/other people dying 19358890589 or so times, but it was the result of a choice she made. That's what I'm getting at.

You "wholeheartedly blame" Harry for Cedric's sudden, shocking murder solely because Harry was fair-minded enough to insist that they take the Triwizard Cup together? Yikes. I sure hope I never invite somebody for coffee and they end up getting hit by a random drunk driver. :tongue

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be all your fault Para :rant:

Just kidding. I do blame Harry, but it's more of a "godammit Harry, stop being such a good person" than an angry thing. I don't think I'm explaining it very well--I've never tried to put it in words before :tongue

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I understand what Ari is saying, though it's one of those times where you know, but you don't know how to explain how you know...

Yeah... I'm confusing myself here, too.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be 26 next month. But I haven't aged since 15. So in my head I'm however old I look/behave. haha Not hard to do, really. No one in their right mind would think/believe I'm the age I am.

This Kony thing is bugging me. For realz. It's ALL over my twitter timeline. -.-

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. No i know full well as do both MC that they are responsible for everything that takes place. They wanted these outcomes, sometimes not to the extent they happened, but they feel they are doing it for the "right" reasons. The right being that of hard core revenge, and to "free" themselves of the pain they caused.

The intent of this was to see if they were actually considered evil. Which I want them to be by the end. I'm just hoping there awesome personalities, and heartbreaking flashbacks, makes the reader practically want the bullies dead as much as the MC's do. I want readers to see them as evil geniuses, but understand and almost agree with there actions. I know that not all will and that's actually what i'm hoping for, some controversy.

I can see finding beta readers for this book is going to be really really really hard already

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am definitely going to be buying Fur Fighters as a reward for something one day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.