The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Hampton Roads Publishing Co. / Red Wheel/Weiser, LLC

Hampton Roads Publishing Co. / Red Wheel/Weiser, LLC

Anyone know anything about this publishing house? Months ago my MS was rejected by Hampton Roads and recently they keep calling my old house (just moved out ) and my family asks what it is regarding and they say that they are from Hampton Roads publishing and they don't know what it is regarding but need me to call them! Before this they called the first time saying they were interested in me self publishing with them (I'm not interested in this). My dad gave them my email, they did not email me...they keep calling this house that I'm not at and they are told I'm not there anymore and where to reach me....what do you all make of this ?

http://redwheelweiser.com/p.php?id=35
    Last edited by MoonStone; 05-27-2011 at 08:22 PM.

hmm, I guess there are no opinions for this one.

I'm still waiting for an email from them. They've been told I don't have a phone yet. That being said, I am being reviewed by another publisher and we are at the vision meeting stage, so i'm excited about that!

I'm guessing there are no opinions because (a) it's only been twenty-four hours (b) there aren't too many people who are familiar with the publisher and (c) it's pretty damn obvious that they're going to try another self-publishing hard sell with your previous information, so what exactly is there to say?
    'shay

Catbooks and Other Methods available now!

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    1) What attracted you to them in the first place?

2) Have you ever read anything they've published?

3) Has anyone you know ever read anything they've published?

4) If you walk into your nearest big-box bookstore, is there anything they publish physically on the shelves there?

Weiser Books has a long history as publishers of esoteric, occult teachings form traditions all around the world and throughout time.
    Emphasis mine. Proofreading their own web page is not an optional step.

They keep calling your former home, but they don't know why? Eh? Say what?

Hi James, I was sending my proposal to a few publishing houses that didn't require an agent, because there were no agents interested in a spiritual /Medium book. They rejected me so I did not think anything of them-I practically forgot about it. Llewellyn has taken an interest instead and that's where all my focus has been -busy getting things sorted for them.

And yep, there's a woman calling my former home and when my family asks what it is regarding (concerning my book) she states she doesn't know. They have my email and I've emailed them as well. I don't want to give them my cell number since I would have to pay for this call and I don't have a home phone for them to contact me on. I just found it strange that months after they rejected me they are calling about self publishing (another woman said this the first call, the rest of the calls have said "I don't know" lol) and they will not just send me an email.... I'm a bit confused by it all...but could be just one of lifes mysteries.. thank you

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    You're probably making a better choice with Llewellyn.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    You're probably making a better choice with Llewellyn.
    Definitely. Llewellyn most definitively does not engage in hard-sell tactics: when they decided to contract my first book, the editor forgot to call me to tell me the decision before going away on vacation.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Thanks, hopefully it will work out

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I know this is an old thread, but as my book is more spiritual and fiction I have looked at Hampton Roads, but no one seems to have anything good or bad to say about them.

I did notice that they state this under submission guidelines;

In addition to reviewing your work, we will be happy to add your email address to our mailing list and send you information about our publishing program from time to time.

Which makes me think they push for self-publishing?

Nope, they're not pushing for self-publishing, they're probably pushing for vanity publishing, which is entirely different.

Added: I checked them out on Amazon, where they have some decent current sales ranks. On their website, their Turning Stone imprint guidelines hint at vanity 'Collaborative' publication. Eh, go into it with your eyes open, and query their bigger competitors first?
    Last edited by Filigree; 01-06-2015 at 09:26 PM.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: