The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Branden Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Branden Books

Hopefully I didn't miss anything in my search this time, because I couldn't find any previous discussions about this publisher.

They wanted to see the entire manuscript of my Natalee Holloway book, but their web site doesn't seem to feature many recent titles and the ones I could find had extremely low rankings and few reviews and copies on Amazon.

They state they've been in business since 1909. Does anyone here have any more info. about them? Thanks.

I'm guessing this is the web site: http://www.brandenbooks.com/

Their website looks to be aimed at readers & buyers rather than writers, so that's a good sign. On the other hand the blurbs and other text have some errors and awkward usages (it comes off a bit ESL) and the covers aren't impressive.
    Oh, the contact us page is aimed at writers - that's where the submission guidelines are. No mention of royalty rates.

They describe themselves as publishing award-winning books, but a quick browse-through doesn't mention any specific awards or titles. One author is described as an 'award-winning programme director in the radio industry'.

Their new products page suggests they publish perhaps three books a year. So, um, I guess they're not over-extending themselves.

The movie rights availability page boggled me a bit - is that usual?

Are you hoping for bookstore placement? There's no indication (that I found) of a catalogue or discounts or bulk shipping rate for bookstores, only the option of buying from the website.

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
    Their website looks to be aimed at readers & buyers rather than writers, so that's a good sign. On the other hand the blurbs and other text have some errors and awkward usages (it comes off a bit ESL) and the covers aren't impressive.
    Oh, the contact us page is aimed at writers - that's where the submission guidelines are. No mention of royalty rates.

They describe themselves as publishing award-winning books, but a quick browse-through doesn't mention any specific awards or titles. One author is described as an 'award-winning programme director in the radio industry'.

Their new products page suggests they publish perhaps three books a year. So, um, I guess they're not over-extending themselves.

The movie rights availability page boggled me a bit - is that usual?

Are you hoping for bookstore placement? There's no indication (that I found) of a catalogue or discounts or bulk shipping rate for bookstores, only the option of buying from the website.

-Barbara
    Bolding mine. I just have to drop a note that coincides with this. I got a rejection letter that was not even in a complete sentence. "We cannot use. Many thanks."

I enjoyed the rejection, especially it was not even a 12 hour turn around.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

Just the facts, please
    Cover quality varies widely, to put it politely.

Looks like standard POD (no e-books?) and hard-mail subs. No genre wants or likes, but ranging from mystery to thriller and lots of non-fiction biographies and some history. Not enough to go on here.

tri

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Has a separate site for ebooks: http://brandenebooks.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: