• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Bastards and Whores

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Has anybody dealt with the online magazine Bastards and Whores?

At Duotrope, submissions to B&W have brought a response in an average of 47 days, and a maximum of 89 days.

However, I submitted a story to them 136 days ago. After a few months, I sent a query. No response. A month later, I sent another query, only to find that their e-mail address no longer worked.

I found that B&W has a page on Facebook, so I posted there, requesting either an alternate e-mail address or a response. After I'd posted a few times, they responded (on Facebook) only so far as to tell me the e-mail address was working. So I sent another query. And, a week later, another.

That's where it stands now. If I don't hear back in a week, I'll withdraw the submission.

Has anybody had a different (better, I hope) experience with Bastards and Whores?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Have you seen a copy of their magazine?

Are they still in business?

Are they so high-pay or high-prestige that you thought of them first when it was time to submit your work?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Have you seen a copy of their magazine?

Are they still in business?

Are they so high-pay or high-prestige that you thought of them first when it was time to submit your work?
It's entirely online. What I've read has been a very mixed bag, in both quality and subject. The site is asking for submissions by July 31 for the next issue.

Low-paying; no prestige that I'm aware of. According to my records, they were the sixth market to which I'd submitted that particular story. So, no surprise if they reject it; at this point I don't care. I just want a response.

amkuska

Professional (Re)Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'd send them a letter withdrawing the manuscript. It's really not worth your time at this point.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, they've got an interestingly ecelctic mix of stuff. Wouldn't mind appearing there, but, yeah, I'll probably end up flogging that unwanted, unloved story elsewhere.

I just wondered if my experience was atypical.

ETA: In fairness, I need to note that I just saw a reply (on Facebook, which I only check a couple of times a week) from someone at Bastards and Whores. They posit that the address I've been using (which is the e-mail address they advertise as being the place for questions) doesn't work; I was given a personal address. So, I'll try that.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Went on "indefinite hiatus" Dec '12.