The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Magazine] Bastards and Whores

[Magazine] Bastards and Whores

Has anybody dealt with the online magazine Bastards and Whores?

At Duotrope, submissions to B&W have brought a response in an average of 47 days, and a maximum of 89 days.

However, I submitted a story to them 136 days ago. After a few months, I sent a query. No response. A month later, I sent another query, only to find that their e-mail address no longer worked.

I found that B&W has a page on Facebook, so I posted there, requesting either an alternate e-mail address or a response. After I'd posted a few times, they responded (on Facebook) only so far as to tell me the e-mail address was working. So I sent another query. And, a week later, another.

That's where it stands now. If I don't hear back in a week, I'll withdraw the submission.

Has anybody had a different (better, I hope) experience with Bastards and Whores?
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Have you seen a copy of their magazine?

Are they still in business?

Are they so high-pay or high-prestige that you thought of them first when it was time to submit your work?

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Have you seen a copy of their magazine?

Are they still in business?

Are they so high-pay or high-prestige that you thought of them first when it was time to submit your work?
    It's entirely online. What I've read has been a very mixed bag, in both quality and subject. The site is asking for submissions by July 31 for the next issue.

Low-paying; no prestige that I'm aware of. According to my records, they were the sixth market to which I'd submitted that particular story. So, no surprise if they reject it; at this point I don't care. I just want a response.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Professional (Re)Writer
    I'd send them a letter withdrawing the manuscript. It's really not worth your time at this point.
    Latest Blog Post: ORDINARY e-book launch party!
    http://www.uninvoked.com/

Well, they've got an interestingly ecelctic mix of stuff. Wouldn't mind appearing there, but, yeah, I'll probably end up flogging that unwanted, unloved story elsewhere.

I just wondered if my experience was atypical.

ETA: In fairness, I need to note that I just saw a reply (on Facebook, which I only check a couple of times a week) from someone at Bastards and Whores. They posit that the address I've been using (which is the e-mail address they advertise as being the place for questions) doesn't work; I was given a personal address. So, I'll try that.
    Last edited by Manuel Royal; 05-22-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Went on "indefinite hiatus" Dec '12.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: