Writing under pseudonym and promoting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I need to ask. If I write a novel (and if I publish it with a traditional publisher) under a pseudonym, how do I promote it? Promoting with a pseudonym but being there in "real person" defeats the purpose of a pseudonym -- everyone is going to know who you are anyway.

Or am I missing something?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RS007, as an erotica author, I've thought about this, too. And talked to others.

Here's my plan. I will adopt the persona of my pen name for personal appearances, whether at signings or conventions, as if it were a role I play. I probably won't do signings in my own town, but the nearby city is anonymous enough. I'll plan to travel in the months after my novel is out, and pre-arrange promotional stuff in my destination cities, where I will arrive in persona.

I'm sure Author-Maryn will wear makeup, sit straighter, and speak with more confidence than [realname], who schleps around unconfident and unnoticed, quite on purpose.

Maryn, sitting up straight just for you

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I only use a pseudonym to separate my erotic novels from my mainstream, which if I'm published, will do so under my real name.

I don't really mind if anyone knows my real name so I'll use my blog, Twitter and FB to promote my book. I've set up a separate email account for my pseudonym but that's about it at the moment. I won't tempt fate and set up an FB 'fan' page because I'd be too embarrassed if only three people signed up for it!

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn and OP, I'm pretty sure this is what Gail Carriger does when she makes appearances--adopts her author persona.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to look into how Sophie Kinsella has promoted her books (zillions sold and a movie based on one series, the "Shopaholic" books).

--Ken

That's what I thought too, but then there is a difference between her books and my novel. I am no Salman Rashdie (nor do I write on that subject), but I'd much rather keep my identity completely secret because of the sensitive nature of my novel. Hence is the pseudonym. And hence are the issues of promotion.

I've already queried a few agents under the pseudonym and no interest so far. I cannot help but think that this promotion issue and the sensitive nature of the novel have something to do with it.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I'd much rather keep my identity completely secret because of the sensitive nature of my novel. . . . .
Ah, I see. That is a very different situation from that of Madeline Wickham/Sophie Kinsella. That is just a branding issue for different series, basically. Not so in your case.

--Ken

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see. That is a very different situation from that of Madeline Wickham/Sophie Kinsella. That is just a branding issue for different series, basically. Not so in your case.

--Ken

Hence is my dilemma. :(

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
You could do mainly blog tours. A lot of my RWA chapter mates have had great successes with doing those. You get the exposure without being exposed. :D

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I only use a pseudonym to separate my erotic novels from my mainstream, which if I'm published, will do so under my real name.

...I won't tempt fate and set up an FB 'fan' page because I'd be too embarrassed if only three people signed up for it!

My thoughts exactly. I have a pen name for my children's work, and a separate one for my other work, none of which is my real name. I keep my first name though :) I like it lol. My plan for my children's appearances is to be very "light," meaning happy, upbeat and very Sesame Street, for the kiddies. If/when my romance takes off, I will be more relaxed and such. Much like the real me, those will be author fronts. The real me doesn't do good in public ;)

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
You could do mainly blog tours. A lot of my RWA chapter mates have had great successes with doing those. You get the exposure without being exposed. :D

Excellent idea. Thanks!

Do publishers consider blog tours effective? Especially if done without other promos?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This may be a stupid question but I need to ask. If I write a novel (and if I publish it with a traditional publisher) under a pseudonym, how do I promote it? Promoting with a pseudonym but being there in "real person" defeats the purpose of a pseudonym -- everyone is going to know who you are anyway.

Or am I missing something?

What you're missing is this: "Author promotion" is vastly over-hyped. You don't need to do a lick of it, if you're published by a major (or even minor) publisher.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That would be why publishers and agents never, ever ask about "platform."

--Ken
They ask only to determine if an author has one s/he's able/willing to exploit -- not to force him/her to stump for one.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
They ask only to determine if an author has one s/he's able/willing to exploit -- not to force him/her to stump for one.
Not quite how I hear it from my literary agent friends. Nor what I hear from/observe of my author friends (small press, big publisher, little-known, NYTimes bestselling, fiction, nonfiction). But that is my little corner of the universe. Obviously all of those folks are mistaken.

(The question is not "force." It is expectation that their books will benefit from their self-promotion and that they start with an interested audience. No need to go all snarky.)

--Ken

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite how I hear it from my literary agent friends. Nor what I hear from/observe of my author friends (small press, big publisher, little-known, NYTimes bestselling, fiction, nonfiction). But that is my little corner of the universe. Obviously all of those folks are mistaken.

(The question is not "force." It is expectation that their books will benefit from their self-promotion and that they start with an interested audience. No need to go all snarky.)

--Ken
I apologize for sounding snarky. My point was to address the OP's concern that he/she'll be forced to self-promote under his/her real name.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent idea. Thanks!

Do publishers consider blog tours effective? Especially if done without other promos?

Honestly, I don't know. I do know that some publishers are making sure that their authors do blog tours. I think Carina Press is one of those, but I just don't know for sure.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
You're putting the cart before the horse. You don't need to be worried about how to promote a book that you haven't sold yet. If a publisher contracts it, you'll have access to plenty of advice on all of this. Right now, you should be focusing your energy on the book itself.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
At the end of the day, not all authors can travel for signings etc, and unless you are a mega seller, you're probably not going to be on Oprah, so it's not really a massive issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.