• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] Red Lemonade

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone know anything about Richard Nash's new publishing project, Red Lemonade? (http://redlemona.de/) He once ran the iconic indie, Soft Skull Press, and now he's set up a publishing website. (I just checked and it's off line right now). It has "published" 3 books so far and says he'll publish more in a "community" mode, by using the Internet and his website like a forum such as this to publish the books online where people can interact with them. The process, however, seems impenetrable to me. Does anyone know what he's up to? Does any of this seem innovative, or does it feel like a waste-of-time?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I got it figured out, but after looking around it seemed a cross between SYW and JADS, except grammatical, almost aggressively literate, and with a pretty strong MFA-in-Creative-Writing vibe. Useful? Could be. Innovative? Not so much.

A bit worried by "you retain all the rights" coupled with displaying works in their entirety, not behind a password or other wall. Seems that might use up first electronic rights, at the least?

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
The 'Display Site' concept has been around a while. Google "display site" and you will find a bunch of these. I gather you post your manuscript, folks read it and comment on it, and you have the satisfaction of sharing your work.

If you have a manuscript good enough that folks want to read it . . . why not sell it to an e-press?

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
A bit worried by "you retain all the rights" coupled with displaying works in their entirety, not behind a password or other wall. Seems that might use up first electronic rights, at the least?

I don't know what the legal status would be. ISTM you would have to mention this when you sold. My understanding is that, (in SF/F at least,) editors who pay for content want material that is not already available for free on the net.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Activity increasingly sporadic after '13, and site's currently offline. Anyone have recent contact?