The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Display site] Red Lemonade

practical experience, FTW Dave Veri's Avatar

[Display site] Red Lemonade

Doesn't anyone know anything about Richard Nash's new publishing project, Red Lemonade? (http://redlemona.de/) He once ran the iconic indie, Soft Skull Press, and now he's set up a publishing website. (I just checked and it's off line right now). It has "published" 3 books so far and says he'll publish more in a "community" mode, by using the Internet and his website like a forum such as this to publish the books online where people can interact with them. The process, however, seems impenetrable to me. Does anyone know what he's up to? Does any of this seem innovative, or does it feel like a waste-of-time?

Not sure I got it figured out, but after looking around it seemed a cross between SYW and JADS, except grammatical, almost aggressively literate, and with a pretty strong MFA-in-Creative-Writing vibe. Useful? Could be. Innovative? Not so much.

A bit worried by "you retain all the rights" coupled with displaying works in their entirety, not behind a password or other wall. Seems that might use up first electronic rights, at the least?
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript job's Avatar
    The 'Display Site' concept has been around a while. Google "display site" and you will find a bunch of these. I gather you post your manuscript, folks read it and comment on it, and you have the satisfaction of sharing your work.

If you have a manuscript good enough that folks want to read it . . . why not sell it to an e-press?

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript job's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    A bit worried by "you retain all the rights" coupled with displaying works in their entirety, not behind a password or other wall. Seems that might use up first electronic rights, at the least?
    I don't know what the legal status would be. ISTM you would have to mention this when you sold. My understanding is that, (in SF/F at least,) editors who pay for content want material that is not already available for free on the net.
    Last edited by job; 05-21-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Activity increasingly sporadic after '13, and site's currently offline. Anyone have recent contact?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: