Multiple POVs in one novel (but not "omniscient")

MrSteve

Lost in a Library
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what genre, but has anyone ever read a book where one section is told from the MC's POV, and then the second section is told from a supporting character's POV?

The only example I can think of is HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, but that is a bit overkill, since it jumps POV at times between one paragraph and the next.

The reason I ask is that I'm working on a novel that is told from a female MC's perspective in the first part. Then it's told from a male supporting character's perspective in the second part ... and we find out things are not really what the MC perceived.

Surely, I'm not the first to attempt this device? It's done in sitcoms all the time on TV.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what genre, but has anyone ever read a book where one section is told from the MC's POV, and then the second section is told from a supporting character's POV?

The only example I can think of is HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, but that is a bit overkill, since it jumps POV at times between one paragraph and the next.

The reason I ask is that I'm working on a novel that is told from a female MC's perspective in the first part. Then it's told from a male supporting character's perspective in the second part ... and we find out things are not really what the MC perceived.

Surely, I'm not the first to attempt this device? It's done in sitcoms all the time on TV.

John Fowles' The Collector. The first half is by the kidnapper, and second half from the kidnapped girl.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am currently reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz.)

It switches between the voice of a particular un-named (so far) narrator who spends some time explaining the story from Character 1's POV, then from Character 2's, etc., although he himself is sort of a character too, and not merely a distant narrator, as it's made clear early on that he knows all these characters personally. The effect is something between first-person (from the narrator/faceless character) and close third, since the narrator restricts himself to the life and experience of one character at a time, and stays very close to his or her perspective while he's telling the story from their viewpoint. The book also has parts that are pure first-person narrative from one of the characters, without the aid of the unnamed narrator-character.

Sounds confusing, I know, but if your aim is to study multiple POV, this would be an excellent book to read. It's fantastic -- won the Pulitzer and the National Book Critics' Circle Award, too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Common as dirt. There are thousands of such novels out there.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just about every romance novel I've ever read is from both the hero and heroine's POV, often with other characters having POV time.

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
My novel is like that actually (switches back and forth between a male and female MC in 3P, and it's a mystery and both are occasionally unreliable). Of the many, many reasons given to me in the past for rejecting my novel, no one has ever taken issue with the POV. I found it more fun to write with two perspectives.