• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hirst Publishing / 100 Publishing

sage1940

Registered
Reaction score
Sto689 in the thread 'Lulu or CreateSpace' asks if anyone has come across the company '100 Publishers' based in Andover U.K.

On it's web-site the Company quote an all-in price of £599, for which the author receives 100 copies of the book, with a charge of £350 for further batches of 100 books.

The usual templates require Microsoft Word, not pdf.

The package includes ISBN number, listings with Gardners, Betrams, Waterstones, Amazon and WH Smith.

The Company also offers "basic proof reading" (whatever that may mean - later, they quote £2.00/thousand words), payment in two stages, a free basic cover, a free specific e-mail address, legal cover, etc.

As sto689 says, "it all seems to good to be true".

A search of the internet does not reveal any blogs, reviews, etc, about 100 Publishers.

Has anyone had any direct experience of the Company (quality of product, ease of use, efficiency, total cost, etc.)

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

sage1940

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Old Hack.

I seems that 100 Publishing no longer exists, at least in the quoted form. I thought it was too good to be true.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband knows Tim Hirst, who owns both Hirst Publishing and 100 Publishing.

http://www.hirstpublishing.com/
http://www.hundredpublishing.com/index.html

Hirst is a very legit publisher who has had a lot of success in a small space of time, with several bestsellers. It started as a one man operation to publish a couple of books and within a year Tim took it on as a full time job.

100 publishing is owned by Tim too, but is a separate company and is more of a printer/vanity press. There is no 'refferal' to 100 or anything like that, and the two companies have always been separate.

100 publising will do simply that - print 100 copies of your book for a set fee.

Hirst Publishing does tend to attract many TV types, due to Tim's own interests, with many actors and actresses from, mostly cult sci-fi, writing books published by him.

The books are available in bricks and mortar stores, with an active push for author signings and appearances etc. You can check out photos on the facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=432235978598&set=a.432228388598.206121.146539213598&type=1&theater

As for the Dr Who books: Hirst publish a lot of Dr Who related stuff, books that are a sort of fanzine - like Shooty Dog Thing, books by cast members, biographies and autobiographies etc.

They don't publish DW novels or fanfiction or anything like that.

All in all it's a small and quite speciailised publisher - as you'l see from the list - but Hirst knows what he likes and he knows what he can sell and who too. In all it's a publisher which really knows their corner of the market well.

Last edited:

sage1940

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Shaldna,

It has been very rude of me not to to ackowledge your information earlier but I have only just picked up your message - apologies.

Your information is very informative and reasonably encouraging although it seems that Hirst are only in the market for supplying small quantities. I am contacting them again to find out details of further print runs.

Meanwhile the search continues.

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards

Sage 1940

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
In the interest of being honest and impartial, I have to point out that things have changed considerably since my last posting on this thread.

For the last few months there has been some sort of supply problem with Hirst, which seems to be centred around the pre-orders. It appears that Hirst have been using the income from pre-orders to fund printing of books which, instead of fulfilling the pre-orders, he's then sold at fan conventions. This has led to a number of folks being very displeased at not recieving their pre-ordered books. In addition, using pre-orders to fund printing isn't good business.

I know that there was some issue earlier in the year with books not being delievered and no one was responding to complaints about it, again, ignoring your customer queries is not a good idea.

I'm not sure what's caused this change, but right now things seem to be in a bad way for Hirst. That said, they still produce quality books from good writers, but for the moment I'd be wary.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
Further update - as of this week Hirst no longer seem to be trading. The main site is undergoing 'restructuring', the facebook page has gone completely and several of their authors have jumped ship to other publishers.

Tim still isn't responding to folks - and the problems are adding up - authors are complaining of lack of response, payment issues, and customers are complaining about orders not being fulfilled.

In the meantime Tim Hirst, if going by his other online activity, has been spending much of his time on holiday, which is further infuriating his customers and authors.

For now I would this is one to avoid.

100 Books still seems to be operating though.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
100 Publishing site is still up, but hasn't published anything since '11.