kewl military/government VTOL aircraft

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
in my WIP, my MC's, currently residing at a superhero boarding school in Massachusetts, get taken for a field trip of sorts by the government to resolve a problem in NYC.

I think I need a VTOL for this as the school wouldn't have a landing strip. the aircraft would have to hold five students and a couple of military officers, so nothing too tiny. even though, in prose you can't see it, I would like to make the VTOL something visually appealing and ideally I would like to know what the interior would look like to the students.

definitely do not want a helicopter.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Helicopter of some sort or a V-22 Osprey.

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
thank you. I don't want to have a helicopter, though.

If you want something real you're pretty much stuck, because the only operational VTOLs I can think of which aren't pure helicopters are the Harrier and Osprey. The Germans built a prototype of a VTOL transport plane based around Pegasus engines, but it went to a museum long ago.

The Grift

Registered
Reaction score
thank you. I don't want to have a helicopter, though.

The V-22 Osprey isn't a helicopter. Do you mean you don't want something with rotors?

If you want something real you're pretty much stuck, because the only operational VTOLs I can think of which aren't pure helicopters are the Harrier and Osprey.

Yup. And a Harrier or an F-35 or other fighter wouldn't hold enough people.

I am unaware of any vector-thrust aircraft with VTOL capability that would hold more than a couple of people. Most are unmanned or light fighters.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Why not a helicopter? The Trump just did the trip from NYC to New Hampshire via helicopter, and if it's good enough for the Donald, it should be good enough for your character. It's also easier and faster than any other combination. I think VTOL are designed for longer trips.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
V-22 is the only tiltrotor currently in existence. Bell has a DEM/VAL version of a civilian aircraft called the V-605, or something like that, but there's only one flyable prototype.

Those are your only choices.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
V-22 is the only tiltrotor currently in existence. Bell has a DEM/VAL version of a civilian aircraft called the V-605, or something like that, but there's only one flyable prototype.

Yep. If you want real-world stuff, the V22 Osprey is your only option.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
BTW here is a pic of a luxury helicopter interior:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/gallery/2010/05/eurocopter-ec145-by-mercedes-benz-style/6/

And here is a pic of the comfy and spacious interior of a V-22 osprey:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyrod/3486847487/

This may or may not affect your decision.

That's a little unfair and compares apples to oranges.

Most aircraft manufacturing companies don't do that kind of interior work anyway. All custom stuff like that is done by finishing companies. If a person could buy a V22, then they can certainly take it to a finishing company and get a very posh interior installed very easily.

The Grift

Registered
Reaction score
That's a little unfair and compares apples to oranges.

Most aircraft manufacturing companies don't do that kind of interior work anyway. All custom stuff like that is done by finishing companies. If a person could buy a V22, then they can certainly take it to a finishing company and get a very posh interior installed very easily.

It was a joke. I am well aware that most helicopter interiors look more like Osprey than the Mercedes. And as an aside, that's actually how that Mercedes copter is supposed to look stock.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The V-22 Osprey isn't a helicopter. Do you mean you don't want something with rotors?

no, I meant no helicopters specifically.

I like the look of the V-22 Osprey fine. in fact I think I will go with that one. sincere thanks for this. I could have found them on my own, but you saved me some time.

I think that I saw some in the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. didn't know that they existed in real life.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

thank you!

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Why not a helicopter?

because I didn't fit in with the aesthetics of the book and the scene. I wanted something that would feel more exotic and futuristic.

Last edited:

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
The Harrier is not the only one. Russia developed the Yak-36, Yak-38, and Yak-141. But these are/were all single or two seat aircraft. They also produced the Antonov AN-606 and this was/is the only known VTOL with a cargo capacity (only 5 prototypes were produce—one used by Medvedev. Helicopters would be your best bet. Not wanting that, you could go to Tilt-Rotor-Aircraft (see the Bell V-22 Osprey or the BA-609 Augusta—the Russians had the Mikoyan 009 and build 3 prototypes in the late ‘90s, one given to Iran. How about a STOL (Short Takeoff) like the GAF Nomad? It would meet your passenger requirements and could take off from a football field. You could look up Aero Commander (500 and 600 series), Piper Aerostar, Antonov Pechalka, Antonov AN-28, Dornier mad a good one in the ‘70s, the Helio Courier will carry 6, the Arava (Israeli build 12 seat), AP Pac-750 (10 seat), the Pilatus PC-6 (10 seat). Poland and France made STOL but can’t remember what they are called (and don’t have time to look it up—but you can.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It would meet your passenger requirements and could take off from a football field.

well, aesthetics come first. I had decided already that I wanted a VTOL, specifically. (also, the school doesn't have a football field.)

anyway, I have already decided on an Osprey.

Last edited: