What is your memoir or biography about?

Daveofkan

Registered
Reaction score
Sun Religion

I suppose it's mostly memoirs on here but you never know. What is your memoir/book about?

My memoir is about being cursed by a catholic priest. It's properly called an ecclesiastical curse, and how the mad bastard priest sent catholics to gang stalk me, harass me, slander and drug me. It went on for years and years throughout most of my life.

The first part is my high school years at an all boys catholic boarding school. The next part is my military years. The last part--which I haven't put together--is my civilian life. Throughout is the gang stalking, harassment, slander and drugging's.

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of good descriptions of memoirs that I will slowly add to my read stockpile I have been adding to over the years. I wish everyone many blessings in future sales in the up coming days.

I have been working on my current memoir for a couple years now. It's about my life from a child up to this point and the abusive relationship with my mother and the ultimate decision to move on with my life without her in it. I guess if I had to be honest the book is more of a theraputic attempt to say all the things that I have never said before in the attempt to shed a few skeletons from my closet. I would like to say that I may get a few sales when I self publish it but if I don't then that's fine. I am mainly writing this book for personal reasons to help with myself from within if there are any that are sold then that is just a bonus.

The next memoir I plan on writing is going to be more of a love letter to my wife.I am not sure how I will construct it until I begin writing it. I don't want to begin thinking about it more than just the concept because I want all my focus to be on current book.

The next three memoirs I have planned is about me writing to each one of my kids to teach them everything I know that is unique for them. It's more of a life lessons I have learned that I think each kid needs to hear based upon their personalities at this point. I'm not sure about these memoirs yet but if I did write them then I would probably write them all and publish at the same time so that I could give it to them all at once.

thanks
iron

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, right now it's about me. I am writing practically everything I remember from birth on, censoring myself only a little as I want to produce something at least acceptable for family and friends to read without pissing off everybody, but being honest. After I have it all down, we'll see if there's anything interesting enough to make a commercially marketable book.

gutterfaery

Registered
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to create an account on here so many great stories.
My own memoir is about my hitch hiking, homeless days I lived off and on the streets for over 10 years . I found a sense of community the rest of the world seemed to be lacking . But I did not quite fit into the "Hippie scene" or the "gutterpunk scene " but intermingled in the two worlds surviving multiple rides that I was lucky to escape. I will share the reasons people chose this life the sense of family and codes and morals of what it takes to survive on the streets , why its so hard to leave .
But it has a long way to go .it will all lead up to the adventure that is normal living after only knowing this lifestyle .

tatygirl90

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about the beginnings of my mental illness and up until about four years ago when I left the hospital for the last time (At last as of now.) I sort of have an outline and some written but it's all over the place at the moment.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about being cursed by a catholic priest. It's properly called an ecclesiastical curse, and how the mad bastard priest sent catholics to gang stalk me, harass me, slander and drug me. It went on for years and years throughout most of my life.

The first part is my high school years at an all boys catholic boarding school. The next part is my military years. The last part--which I haven't put together--is my civilian life. Throughout is the gang stalking, harassment, slander and drugging's.

Sounds absolutely terrifying.

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
Nakhon Pathom, Thailand; or somewhere in the world
Dunno, and that's just all right by me...

My memoir has been about experiences and adventures, mostly.

I set out at age 9, wanting to know what is the meaning of life. I answered my own question in time and experience, in just living my life.

My parents taught that life is work, hell, misery, death, and pain, and that hopefully you could beat the devil and get to go to heaven when your life comes to an end.

I never thought that way. I always enjoyed being alive. Life was never miserable for me. They made life miserable for me. But I took my life back away from them and threw all their nonsense in their faces and won.

Life is an adventure; nothing more, nothing less. That's all it is. That's all it can be.

If you're satisfied with dragging your butt back and forth to work each day at the canning factory, so be it. It's your life and no one can tell you how to live it.

As for me, I just like the adventure of it all.

Life is learning, thinking, growing, discovery. If we're not doing that, we're not doing anything at all, and we've missed what life is really all about.

Life is a story. All things begin and end with stories.

I just keep on stacking up those piles of experiences as I write them. They will undoubtedly unfold into a good story one of these days.

I don't really know where I am going with it. And that's cool by me, for now. Because most of life is like that anyway. We don't really know where we're going with it most of the time. I want my work to reflect that openness and willingness toward discovery. That knowledge which we have today might become obsolete tomorrow. I want to be open to correction.

I just want to keep writing it for now. I love it.

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
Nakhon Pathom, Thailand; or somewhere in the world
My memoir has been about experiences and adventures, mostly.

I set out at age 9, wanting to know what is the meaning of life. I answered my own question in time and experience, in just living my life.

My parents taught that life is work, hell, misery, death, and pain, and that hopefully you could beat the devil and get to go to heaven when your life comes to an end.

I never thought that way. I always enjoyed being alive. Life was never miserable for me. They made life miserable for me. But I took my life back away from them and threw all their nonsense in their faces and won.

Life is an adventure; nothing more, nothing less. That's all it is. That's all it can be.

If you're satisfied with dragging your butt back and forth to work each day at the canning factory, so be it. It's your life and no one can tell you how to live it.

As for me, I just like the adventure of it all.

Life is learning, thinking, growing, discovery. If we're not doing that, we're not doing anything at all, and we've missed what life is really all about.

Life is a story. All things begin and end with stories.

I just keep on stacking up those piles of experiences as I write them. They will undoubtedly unfold into a good story one of these days.

I don't really know where I am going with it. And that's cool by me, for now. Because most of life is like that anyway. We don't really know where we're going with it most of the time. I want my work to reflect that openness and willingness toward discovery. That knowledge which we have today might become obsolete tomorrow. I want to be open to correction.

I just want to keep writing it for now. I love it.

Fort Ott

Registered
Reaction score
SWINGING SCHOOL DAYS
http://swingingschooldays.blogspot.com

My memoir is about growing up calling two places home--a Canadian city and an American city, and being raised in North America by people who are neither Canadian-born, nor American-born. An entire childhood spent traveling back and forth between the same two cities and the psychological effects it had on me, plus how it effected my relationships with girls from school. Plus, there are immigration issues which I won't get into here. You'll have to wait for me to finish the story and post the whole thing on my website.

Last edited:

tomz563

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about a 28 day stay in rehab I didn't want. I kept a journal throughout and looking back over once I was finally free I couldn't help but laugh at myself. It's kind of a satirical memoir showing the selfishness, recklessness, and superficiality that my generation is known for, as well as the problem with the popular belief that rehab is an easy fix for bad behavior.
I was basically a directionless privileged kid and after my mom got sick of paying for me to party professionally, I was given the option of rehab or being cut off. So I went to a fancy rehab and bitched and complained and made things more difficult for everyone. As soon as I left, I went back to my usual debauchery until I had an aha moment at a music festival. Ironically it was in the least rehab condonable way possible that I finally realized it was time to grow up.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about being in the adult industry for 10 years. I sort of have an outline and some written but it's all over the place at the moment. However, i kept a journal throughout expressing my feeling about being an phone entertainer to cam model recruiter. It will be finished in 2015.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
I'm publishing a Gonzo memoir about my experiences setting up my own travel guide company in Colombia and the four years of chaos that followed. My story takes me all over the world, chasing my dream and my own demons. I hope to have the Kindle out early next week.

www.colombiadreaming.com
www.gotocolombia.com

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about surviving a childhood of physical and mental abuse, at the hand of my mother - and of how I've coped with life after the suicides of both my parents, seven years apart. It is also a story of events leading up to, and surviving, my own suicide attempt at age twenty - just a week before my father's suicide. It also deals with the culture clash, my parents' prejudices, and the lack of love and affection within our family. I have lots of diaries documenting my life up until I moved out, written as my depression and insecurities flourished during my youth and carried over into my adult life. Much of which, to this day, I've never had closure for.

This is primarily because I have only three living relatives - my three younger sisters. We have no relatives in America, and have no connection to any relatives we may have elsewhere. Rather than discussing anything they've chosen to bury the past, ashamed of our parents - immigrants from Cambodia, raising us while on the welfare system - and then dying in the manner that they did; and ashamed of me, the eldest sister, for nearly dying by the same means. So I'm mostly just writing this for personal therapy, even if it's never published.

But, in the event that it may be marketable, it would also be an inspirational story of never losing hope in the midst of disparity, and a message to all (today) who may relate to some of my experiences, that - even in the worst of times - suicide is not the answer. Because every life is precious.

My memoir won't be dark and gloomy, even though that's how my life was back then; instead, I intend for it to be written with a more lighthearted feel. If that makes any sense. Because that's how I am today, and that's how I want my voice to be heard. But everything will be factual, nonetheless. I posted a small bit in SYW, but it's only a beginning. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I've already decided to take my time on it and that it will just be a work in progress for awhile. In the meantime, I'm primarily focusing on my current fiction novel in prep for query, and am presently assisting a few members by beta reading.

Happy writing, peoples! :)

Howleyer Than Thou

Registered
Reaction score
So many stories, so many lives here.

I am thinking that I will have to write several memoirs. Right now my ideas are vague but beginning to ask for solidity.

One of my memoirs will be about a specific strip club that I worked at for 2 years. It was a club on the American border in Ontario and there are a lot of great characters in it. It was a highly charged time in my life where it seemed my brain finally began to work after taking a decade or so off. I was also a hard core feminist nut case during this time so that makes it pretty interesting too. How I walked the line between ideologies.

I think another will be the beginning of my stripping career which began at 18 and went until I was 34.

I'd also like to write about the 12 years since I quit to explore the spiritual paths that have opened themselves up to me and how I have dealt with being a civilian after an adulthood of living in the shadow world.

DNsearching

Registered
Reaction score
Me too

I hear you. I am writing about my life experiences, which are not nearly as tragic as yours. Giving the readers the message that life is precious and there is always hope.

DNsearching

Registered
Reaction score
Mental Illness, our connection

I am hoping you are doing well.
I, too, have always had symptoms of depression.
I'm doing ok too, but will always have to be on meds, but that's a different story.
Keep writing, it is therapeutic, and there are books being published about our issue.
If you need help, please look to my website. It should be listed here, but being new to this forum, I'm not sure.
I have subscribed to this thread, so will get an email if you reply.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Check out my travel + business memoir I just published on Amazon.

Its my story is about my journey to start my own travel guide company in Colombia and the chaos that followed around the world.

Free on Amazon for the next few days ;)...

Thanks!

maceleon

Registered
Reaction score
Sexual identity, drug experimentation, and traveling across the globe while searching for raison d'etre. From rural beginnings to the Ivy League to the gutters of male prostitution and then back to some sort of equilibrium.

kellula

Registered
Reaction score
It is a memoir of our family's move to a tiny village in Spain, ten years ago, through the eyes of my young daughter.

It's "ghost" written but the idea is that it is openly ghostwritten so that the vocabulary is not limited to that of a seven-year old. It still has a distinctly child-like voice but the ghostwriting process is actually weaved into the story.

I sometimes wonder whether it would have been more interesting to write it from my own perspective but it would mean re-writing a lot of material and I find it harder to find a central thread in my own version.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first memoir in 2011 "From Agoraphobia to Zen" about healing from trauma and an anxiety disorder. I am now editing my second memoir about sanity with a thread running through it about my adventure in the Philippines during the Desert Storm Gulf War. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849915237/?tag=absowrit-20

GetShorty

Registered
Reaction score
Well my biography is naturally about my life but the only problem I have is how long and detailed its becoming which is important to the overall story of my life. How long is too long? Does it matter is its super long if its an interesting and continuous read?

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
It often feels as if I'm the only non-memoirist on here! I'm a biographer, and the subject of my next biography is this guy:

latest

It'll be in your hands December 6.

MichaelAnthony

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about coming out this December and is about returning from the Iraq war and dealing with some of the struggles that many veterans face: Civilianized: A Young Veteran's Memoir. It's dark, but there's a good amount levity there, too.

I was depressed and, among dealing with drinking, and smoking and Vicodin, I got involved with the Pick-up Artist community, thinking that maybe meeting girls, and getting laid might make a difference.

Annmarie

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about three young women just out of college who bond during the coming of age of big technology - mid-to-late 1980s. I am calling it Digital High School, because it was a very naive period for the people involved as well as for the technology. BTW - the technology we use today is virtually the same we used back then, just on a larger scale. It has a lot of humor, because life in an office is inherently funny and it has some drama and some low-level technical sabotage. I am about mid-way through and hoping to finish in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck!