Winter outside a house with children in a horse-drawn sleigh

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What is your memoir or biography about?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin insolentlad's Avatar
    I am quite unlikely to ever write a memoir, as I have slipped far too much of my own life into my fiction. However, I have completed a biography of my late mother, a moderately well-known painter in her time, heavy with illustrations of her artwork. A labor of love, so to speak, and I was happy to get it finished before she passed away. I knew much of the story, of course, but learned more delving into the records and photos. Most importantly, it helped me understand her as an artist, something I had never really thought deeply about—she and her work were always just there, you know?

Uses loquacious in sentences sommemi's Avatar
    Just had to say that I love reading everyone's responses! This is why I love reading so much... so many unique experiences! And I'm really glad this post was started. :-)

Years and years ago I had been on absolute write trying to get some help and feedback about my Father's memoirs, but after he passed away, I didn't have the heart to edit them too much and so I went with the self-pub route to ensure that his stories would remain in tact. I have enough for 3 volumes, but have already published the first volume of them that I have had the time to edit (for punctuation and typos and ensuring names got proper permissions, etc).

My Father was a really unique man - his stories include things like his experience in the Soap Box Derby, stories from his service in the Korean War, and especially some stories about Roller Speed Skating which was a huge part of his life. He was a complete goofball and most of his stories resemble something from a cartoon, so I was lucky enough to commission a cartoonist to draw his book cover. :-)

(If you wanna see the awesome cover, here is the link to the book: http://a.co/jfd8QwH)

Thanks for listening! And good luck to all of you in your writing adventures!!! xoxo
    "80% of interruptions at work are considered trivial"
    Yes, I have WIPs. No, that's not some kind of STD. Tell you about my story? Um no. Still editing my three novels... for the last 20 years.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456