• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mslexia Publications Ltd. / Women's Novel Competition

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.mslexia.co.uk/whatson/msbusiness/ncomp_rules.php

I'm considering entering this competition, but when I saw this it concerned me:

Copyright of the novel remains with the author, but Mslexia has the unrestricted right to publish extracts in its magazine and on its website, as well as retaining unrestricted rights to use extracts from the novel and any related material for PR purposes. This does not affect the rights of any future publisher of the novel.

Can anyone decode this for me? Where would this leave an author re: first rights. Will it affect my chances with an agent or publisher?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As I read it, it just means that if you win, they have the right to publish one or more excerpts from your novel, and also to use one or more excerpts in publicizing the contest once the winner is declared. IMO, not a concern.

I don't see any major red flags or "gotchas" in the guidelines, though the entry fee seems a tad steep to me.

The most important question to ask, though, before entering this--or any--contest: is it worth bothering? In this case, entering doesn't tie up your submission with any kind of exclusivity (which means you can keep submitting, which is a good thing), and the money prize is pretty sweet. But if you're thinking of entering in order to try and build your writing resume, make sure that winning this competition actually carries some prestige. Agents and editors are probably not going to be impressed by a win in a contest they've never heard of.

- Victoria

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As I read it, it just means that if you win, they have the right to publish one or more excerpts from your novel, and also to use one or more excerpts in publicizing the contest once the winner is declared. IMO, not a concern.

I don't see any major red flags or "gotchas" in the guidelines, though the entry fee seems a tad steep to me.

The most important question to ask, though, before entering this--or any--contest: is it worth bothering? In this case, entering doesn't tie up your submission with any kind of exclusivity (which means you can keep submitting, which is a good thing), and the money prize is pretty sweet. But if you're thinking of entering in order to try and build your writing resume, make sure that winning this competition actually carries some prestige. Agents and editors are probably not going to be impressed by a win in a contest they've never heard of.

- Victoria

Thanks Victoria. :)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must be missing it: what's the prize?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Myslexia has a pretty good profile so this would mean something to most UK agents

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yeah, it's a nice chunk of change. And they're a respected mag. But the entry fee is a bit high....

It's the same fee as the CWA charge for their Debut Dagger Award, so that doesn't concern me too much.

Myslexia has a pretty good profile so this would mean something to most UK agents

I've been a subscriber for a few years, and agree with Waylander. If I do enter it would be more to do with building up a CV/prestige than the cash.

Thanks. :D