The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Mslexia Publications Ltd. / Women's Novel Competition

Mslexia Publications Ltd. / Women's Novel Competition

http://www.mslexia.co.uk/whatson/msb...comp_rules.php

I'm considering entering this competition, but when I saw this it concerned me:

Copyright of the novel remains with the author, but Mslexia has the unrestricted right to publish extracts in its magazine and on its website, as well as retaining unrestricted rights to use extracts from the novel and any related material for PR purposes. This does not affect the rights of any future publisher of the novel.

Can anyone decode this for me? Where would this leave an author re: first rights. Will it affect my chances with an agent or publisher?

The Speculator: On submission.
    Aelia: Work In Progress

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    As I read it, it just means that if you win, they have the right to publish one or more excerpts from your novel, and also to use one or more excerpts in publicizing the contest once the winner is declared. IMO, not a concern.

I don't see any major red flags or "gotchas" in the guidelines, though the entry fee seems a tad steep to me.

The most important question to ask, though, before entering this--or any--contest: is it worth bothering? In this case, entering doesn't tie up your submission with any kind of exclusivity (which means you can keep submitting, which is a good thing), and the money prize is pretty sweet. But if you're thinking of entering in order to try and build your writing resume, make sure that winning this competition actually carries some prestige. Agents and editors are probably not going to be impressed by a win in a contest they've never heard of.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    As I read it, it just means that if you win, they have the right to publish one or more excerpts from your novel, and also to use one or more excerpts in publicizing the contest once the winner is declared. IMO, not a concern.

I don't see any major red flags or "gotchas" in the guidelines, though the entry fee seems a tad steep to me.

The most important question to ask, though, before entering this--or any--contest: is it worth bothering? In this case, entering doesn't tie up your submission with any kind of exclusivity (which means you can keep submitting, which is a good thing), and the money prize is pretty sweet. But if you're thinking of entering in order to try and build your writing resume, make sure that winning this competition actually carries some prestige. Agents and editors are probably not going to be impressed by a win in a contest they've never heard of.

- Victoria
    Thanks Victoria.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    I must be missing it: what's the prize?

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    I must be missing it: what's the prize?

http://www.mslexia.co.uk/whatson/msb...comp_rules.php

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicangel View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, it's a nice chunk of change. And they're a respected mag. But the entry fee is a bit high....

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Myslexia has a pretty good profile so this would mean something to most UK agents

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, it's a nice chunk of change. And they're a respected mag. But the entry fee is a bit high....
    It's the same fee as the CWA charge for their Debut Dagger Award, so that doesn't concern me too much.

Myslexia has a pretty good profile so this would mean something to most UK agents

I've been a subscriber for a few years, and agree with Waylander. If I do enter it would be more to do with building up a CV/prestige than the cash.

Thanks.