Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bumped to a later release

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Bumped to a later release

Who can tell me what it means if you are bumped to a December release? Is December as bad a time to release as everyone says?

Around AW Moderator
    It could mean anything--the publisher doesn't want you competing with a similar title on your old release day, they think the originally scheduled date is over-crowded, etc...

December isn't necessarily a bad month. On one hand, people are doing their Christmas shopping and might pick your book up and give it away. On the other hand, people are doing their Christmas shopping and might not have extra money budgeted for fun things like your book.
    Blog: Organized Chaos | Pinterest | Facebook | Website | Twitter

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

I've been bumped a few times and asked my agent about the December thing. She had no idea what I was talking about. I think it's a writer-myth.

Being bumped happens a lot, for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't stress over it.
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com

resident curmudgeon
    I WANT my books in the stores for Christmas. A lot of books sell as Christmas presents.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Sounds good to me. No one has any money left by January!

Don't get all invested in reading the entrails. There are no entrails.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    I'd rather be released in December than in January.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

resident curmudgeon
    Yeah, January is the month I don't want a book released. I had that happen once, and it took forever for sales to reach acceptable levels. Christmas drains bank accounts, and better to have you book available while people still have money to spend.

Although, gift cards are becoming more and more popular, such that a January release might not be the death knell it once was.
    Matthew Borgard

Check out my Website/blog for essays, reviews and original fiction! Also Twitter, Facebook and Google+.

We Are Not The Favored Children - Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations, Dark Moon Books (Antho nominated for a 2012 Stoker!)

The Boy and the Nymph - Timeless, Cool Well Press.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I've heard that Fall is the best time to release

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cagedrobin View Post
    Who can tell me what it means if you are bumped to a December release? Is December as bad a time to release as everyone says?
    "Bumped to a later release" means "didn't get enough bookstore pre-orders."

December, Christmas gift-buying season? What's not to like?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    December is not a good time to release an ebook as these are general purchased purchase by people for themselves not as gifts--and self-buying does down around Christmas. For a print book it is fine.

resident curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by zegota View Post
    Although, gift cards are becoming more and more popular, such that a January release might not be the death knell it once was.
    True, but books as gifts will always be bigger than books bought for yourself. The best thing about books as gifts is that a God Almighty lot of them are bought for people who, on their own, buy very few, or no, books.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    "Bumped to a later release" means "didn't get enough bookstore pre-orders."
    Not necessarily! Now you're reading entrails for the OP. In my own experience (on both sides of the desk) bumps are far more often because someone messed up with scheduling, or because a big-ticket title was moved ahead of schedule, or because a big-ticket author delivered too late to meet their original schedule so dominos fall all down the line.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
    Not necessarily! Now you're reading entrails for the OP. In my own experience (on both sides of the desk) bumps are far more often because someone messed up with scheduling, or because a big-ticket title was moved ahead of schedule, or because a big-ticket author delivered too late to meet their original schedule so dominos fall all down the line.
    I've been bumped from my original slot 3 times. Two were to give me a back to back release, and my third was because there was too much paranormal stacked in my release month, and to get better distribution, I got moved to a later month. It was all before anything was sent to sales, ever.

And it happens a lot with some publishers. I agree with ICE - don't stress!
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com