Demand copy editor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

writernow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if anyone here does copyediting for Demand? Can you tell me whether the editors can see the names of writers when they choose what to edit? I have had a few articles lately--by the tone/style of writing, I think all from the same copy editor although since writers don't see their names, obviously can't tell--where the nature of the editing seems directed against me rather than the technical aspects of the article. I don't know if the person doing this is having a bad day, has me confused with an evil ex of theirs, or is there some kind of secret copy editor blacklist? This just started happening to me fairly recently so I don't know if that department is being encouraged to get on writers' cases or if they recently made some new hires who let the "power" of the position go to their heads or what.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, no offense, but if your pieces on there need as much editing as this post, they will get swift attention from any copy editor.

writernow

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with being edited but whoever handled some of my stuff on Demand wrote some very insulting personal comments. They weren't about grammar and spelling--which I admit get wobbly for me when I am upset like when I wrote the post above--but about my choices of what to include in the articles. I showed the editorial comments to a friend of mine who works for an academic publishing house and she said if she handled edits that way she'd get fired.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed Demand getting more strict since the new year began. With the loss of the title clarification forums, new style guides and of the like, it's been one heck of a ride.

The editors are harsher than before, but I'm learning to adjust. I've been claiming titles for how-to and topic view, which have different style guides. If you haven't done so already, you may want to read over them again as a few key items have changed.

As to the editor not liking what you included in the article, you can either try a full rewrite or ignore the rewrite request. I suggest letting it go and working on something new. There were two rewrites I did last month that I worked hard on and still go rejected.

So now, if a rewrite comes back that isn't general edits, I let the request expire. It just isn't worth my time when you consider after taxes, we make $9.00 an article.

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
The copyeditors can see your bio, and therefore your name (or your pen name.) But that doesn't mean they are having a personal issue with you. And I believe they can't see it until near the end of the process, so when they first claim the article to edit it, they don't know who wrote it.

I've noticed the occasional CE who is snippy or passive-aggressive, and I think it's just sort of...something you have to deal with. I assume that these people are probably seeing a mistake they've seen a thousand times already that day and are exhausted, or had a bad day, or are just not a great communicator and aren't actually meaning to sound the way they do. I second Kyva's advice that if a rewrite is really extensive, just let it go. Unless you're finding that they're always really extensive, in which case the issue probably lies with you and you might want to reread some of the guidelines and see where you might be struggling.

Sometimes getting criticism can feel personal even when it's not, so it might help to step back and take a few deep breaths and try to look at it through a less personal lens. CEs are allowed to comment on content as well as grammar. And if they're legitimately being malicious, I'm pretty sure there's a reporting form or some such thing. I would think carefully before using it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.