Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Has anyone out here had "multiple" careers as a published writer?

Just realized, I've had five with distinct breaks in between: kid's short stories, confessions, ESL materials, short non-fiction ... and soon to be fantasy. Not that I made all that much ... but it was nice to have checks dribbling in from time to time.

As I said, I'm curious ... but I thought it might be support for my contention that writers write. Others, just talk about writing a lot. [Of course, writers talk a lot about writing too.]

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
Well, I kinda have. I started with three thrillers that were published by one of the Big 6, branched into freelance nonfiction (magazine articles, PR materials, book reviews, etc.) and did that for several years after those first novels that were pubbed, but eventually gave it up. Now I'm back to novels but with a new name. Mysteries this time.

Beth

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to kick start my first published career. :(

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Me too! I was lucky enough to have Gary Provost as my first creative writing teacher. Gary ALWAYS said, if you can write - you can write anything. I started doing hard news and features for newspapers. Went on to sell humorous essays to the Op-Ed pages, confessions, short stories in the horror, romance, mystery and religious markets, then on to books - nine novels, three novella so far and one nonfiction book. What's next? Who knows - I just keep on writing.

Carlene

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Well, I write science fiction, mystery, romance & non-fiction, but it's really more of writing to the opportunity - sometimes simultaneously - rather than distinct career breaks.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I wrote non fiction books and articles in another life before I upgraded to fiction.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had poetry published in 'indie' anthologies [legit, not SPed]. I've been published recently in UK magazines, and I'm attempting to get a novel published.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Years ago, I had poetry published in small press magazines, and in recent years a few short stories published here and there. Now, I have two novels I'm working on (I am revising one, and the other is in progress). I also am a paralegal, which requires lots of legal writing on a daily basis.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write novel sin several genres under multiple pseudonyms, and I write short stories in several genres. I've also sold a fair amount of poetry, and a bunch of nonfiction. But I never thought of it as multiple careers. I have only one career, that of writer. I simply write whatever I feel like writing, and can find a market for.

Status
Not open for further replies.