• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Quicksilver Books Literary Agency

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth noting that their "Recent Placements" includes a book published in 1991. (I routinely check a pattern, since I don't have enough invested in looking into this to check them all, and today's diagonal line led to this.)

I have to wonder about showing one's accomplishment some 14 years back--it looks like resume padding to me. But I'll reserve my judgment until someone who's dealt with them comes along.

Maryn, who sees some big-name publishers in there, too

Dark Sim

Registered
Reaction score
What would I send to this agency since it only asks for a query letter but no synopsis and sample chapters?

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
He wants the querry letter only because

that clues him in IF your work will be a fit or of an interest to him.

His name slips me again (Bob, maybe?) however he is very professional and I do believe he has had a great deal of success. Are you sure this is your only website link for I remember him having a great site and current authors as well?

Regardless, all good wishes to you.

:e2BIC:
Keep writing!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Lots more books now, including a few pubbed in 2007. Publishers Marketplace also lists a couple sales in 2007 to be pubbed 2008, etc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since agencies don't publish books, are you referring to one of the handful of publishers also named Quicksilver?

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I'm sorry CaoPaux, I thought we were talking about a publisher!
Shows how much I pay attention. But yes, you're right. It was 'in conjunction with Jove books'. And it was a shocker. Part of my inspiration to start writing seriously, actually. I thought I can do way better than that piece of garbage!

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
RE: Quicksilver Books Literary Agent:

The agent's name is Bob Silverstein. I sent him an e-mail query yesterday, 01/20 (yea, while I was watching the inauguration). Got an e-mail from him this morning.01/21, which simply said " [FONT=&quot]If possible, please email us the first two chapters as a Word attachment. We'll go from there." I just sent off the 2 chapters. Will post whatever I hear from him.

Last edited:

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
Thought you might like to know - I just took another look on P & E under 'B' and found Bob Silverstein, an agent with Quicksilver, (he's actually listed as the president) with a "$". So I guess he has represented writers that have been published.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Don't know where he is from, or his land base. I just get the impression, considering his background and mission statement, that he is interested in high concept ideas that might translate to film. You know, like those one liners: "DNA brings dinosaurs back to life." That type of thing. He has extensive packaging and film experience, so I would say he was a rep who was on the lookout for stunning visuals.

Tri

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Thanks! That is very useful information.
John

Don't know where he is from, or his land base. I just get the impression, considering his background and mission statement, that he is interested in high concept ideas that might translate to film. You know, like those one liners: "DNA brings dinosaurs back to life." That type of thing. He has extensive packaging and film experience, so I would say he was a rep who was on the lookout for stunning visuals.

Tri

MelMel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Mr. Silverstein read the first two chapters of ours like others here, then wrote back with one of the nicest rejections. He stated that the writing was well done and with the "hot market" for our project, he was sure we'd get representation, but he felt that the writing was a little "too feminine" for him.

I don't think he'd take the time to say all that if he didn't truly think/feel it.

The only bummer is that our third chapter was from our main male character's POV...if he had read that, he might have a totally different opinion on how feminine the story is. :( Oh well.

Mel

smenders2

Registered
Reaction score
Here's Bob Silverstein's website: artsnet.net/qb.htm

Michael

Leonidas

sui generis
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn that the books he has listed for sales on his web site are thin, in the sense that many of them are for the period from 1991 to 1999. I'm fairly new to agent-searching and to AW. Could anyone advise me whether it would be kosher to e-mail Bob S. and ask him for a list of his book sales for 2008 and 2009 before I formally query him (if I do)? Thanks.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any fiction sales for this agency? Looking at the books he's done, it looks like a ton of non-fiction, but he also says he's looking for fiction, so I'm not sure. Is he just recently branching out?

ton-sur-ton

Registered
Reaction score
current view on fiction

Just queried my novel, here's Bob's reply:

Thanks for the query, but I’m afraid this doesn’t come across as something we’d want to pursue at this time. (We’re cutting back on fiction.) Good luck, though, in finding the appropriate agent and publisher.

Fast, professional, just not cooking tons o' fiction today.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn that the books he has listed for sales on his web site are thin, in the sense that many of them are for the period from 1991 to 1999.
The books I'm seeing there are real, but they all look small-to-medium -- no real standouts, and nothing startling or new. I'd love to know more about the shape of his intake scoop.

LoLo

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn that the books he has listed for sales on his web site are thin, in the sense that many of them are for the period from 1991 to 1999. I'm fairly new to agent-searching and to AW. Could anyone advise me whether it would be kosher to e-mail Bob S. and ask him for a list of his book sales for 2008 and 2009 before I formally query him (if I do)? Thanks.

I received a email from Bob about a week ago requesting a book proposal and 2 chapters. How long does it normally take to hear back from an agent, after sending partials? Not sure about this agency. I just came across this forum. It is very enlightening.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Silverstein passed away in Nov '12 (obit). Agency closed to new queries.