AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Quicksilver Books Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PurpleLady's Avatar

Quicksilver Books Literary Agency

What does anyone know about this agency? Note some of the titles at the following link:

http://artsnet.net/qb/representing.htm

However, they also have promoted:

http://artsnet.net/qb/recent.htm

Not much information about the agency available through their web site.
    The sky's the limit.

It's worth noting that their "Recent Placements" includes a book published in 1991. (I routinely check a pattern, since I don't have enough invested in looking into this to check them all, and today's diagonal line led to this.)

I have to wonder about showing one's accomplishment some 14 years back--it looks like resume padding to me. But I'll reserve my judgment until someone who's dealt with them comes along.

Maryn, who sees some big-name publishers in there, too
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Always a writer Daughter of Faulkner's Avatar

Post I know of them

I found the guy (forgot his name!) to be very professional and got back to me within two weeks. I think that he deals with blockbuster type of materials, at least that is what he wrote to me.

That's all I know...
    Always a writer,
    Eileen St. Lauren
    Author

http://mysite.verizon.net/eileenstlauren

figuring it all out
    What would I send to this agency since it only asks for a query letter but no synopsis and sample chapters?

Author Waiting in the Wings Maprilynne's Avatar
    Um, how about a query letter with no synopsis or sample chapters? <scuze the flippant tone.>

Maprilynne
    Wings: the first of four from Harper Teen debuting May 5th, 2009.

You can Pre-Order my book from Amazon!
    (Come on, you know you want to.)

Always a writer Daughter of Faulkner's Avatar

Lightbulb He wants the querry letter only because

that clues him in IF your work will be a fit or of an interest to him.

His name slips me again (Bob, maybe?) however he is very professional and I do believe he has had a great deal of success. Are you sure this is your only website link for I remember him having a great site and current authors as well?

Regardless, all good wishes to you.

Keep writing!
    Always a writer,
    Eileen St. Lauren
    Author

http://mysite.verizon.net/eileenstlauren

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Lots more books now, including a few pubbed in 2007. Publishers Marketplace also lists a couple sales in 2007 to be pubbed 2008, etc.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Momentary lapse of reason Sweetleaf's Avatar
    At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But with internet.
    Quicksilver published the worst book I have ever read in 1990. I don't really want to name it, as I think that could be bad form on my part, but rest assured - it sucked.

Since agencies don't publish books, are you referring to one of the handful of publishers also named Quicksilver?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Momentary lapse of reason Sweetleaf's Avatar
    At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But with internet.
    I'm sorry CaoPaux, I thought we were talking about a publisher!
    Shows how much I pay attention. But yes, you're right. It was 'in conjunction with Jove books'. And it was a shocker. Part of my inspiration to start writing seriously, actually. I thought I can do way better than that piece of garbage!

working hard - hard at work? iwannabepublished's Avatar
    RE: Quicksilver Books Literary Agent:

The agent's name is Bob Silverstein. I sent him an e-mail query yesterday, 01/20 (yea, while I was watching the inauguration). Got an e-mail from him this morning.01/21, which simply said " [FONT=&quot]If possible, please email us the first two chapters as a Word attachment. We'll go from there." I just sent off the 2 chapters. Will post whatever I hear from him.
    Last edited by iwannabepublished; 01-21-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Ken

working hard - hard at work? iwannabepublished's Avatar
    Thought you might like to know - I just took another look on P & E under 'B' and found Bob Silverstein, an agent with Quicksilver, (he's actually listed as the president) with a "$". So I guess he has represented writers that have been published.
    Ken

Any idea where they are located? Thanks!!

Don't know where he is from, or his land base. I just get the impression, considering his background and mission statement, that he is interested in high concept ideas that might translate to film. You know, like those one liners: "DNA brings dinosaurs back to life." That type of thing. He has extensive packaging and film experience, so I would say he was a rep who was on the lookout for stunning visuals.

Tri

Thanks! That is very useful information.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    Don't know where he is from, or his land base. I just get the impression, considering his background and mission statement, that he is interested in high concept ideas that might translate to film. You know, like those one liners: "DNA brings dinosaurs back to life." That type of thing. He has extensive packaging and film experience, so I would say he was a rep who was on the lookout for stunning visuals.

Tri

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MelMel's Avatar
    Hey everyone,

Mr. Silverstein read the first two chapters of ours like others here, then wrote back with one of the nicest rejections. He stated that the writing was well done and with the "hot market" for our project, he was sure we'd get representation, but he felt that the writing was a little "too feminine" for him.

I don't think he'd take the time to say all that if he didn't truly think/feel it.

The only bummer is that our third chapter was from our main male character's POV...if he had read that, he might have a totally different opinion on how feminine the story is. Oh well.

Mel

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Here's Bob Silverstein's website: artsnet.net/qb.htm

Michael

I agree with Maryn that the books he has listed for sales on his web site are thin, in the sense that many of them are for the period from 1991 to 1999. I'm fairly new to agent-searching and to AW. Could anyone advise me whether it would be kosher to e-mail Bob S. and ask him for a list of his book sales for 2008 and 2009 before I formally query him (if I do)? Thanks.
    bene vale vobis

web site- http://www.Nardopublishing.com
    Wikipedia article- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Nardo

Latest published books:

The Epics of Greek Mythology
    The Gods and Goddesses of Greek Mythology
    The Scientific Revolution
    Classical Civilization: Greece
    Classical Civilization: Rome

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Anyone have any fiction sales for this agency? Looking at the books he's done, it looks like a ton of non-fiction, but he also says he's looking for fiction, so I'm not sure. Is he just recently branching out?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

current view on fiction

Just queried my novel, here's Bob's reply:

Thanks for the query, but I’m afraid this doesn’t come across as something we’d want to pursue at this time. (We’re cutting back on fiction.) Good luck, though, in finding the appropriate agent and publisher.

Fast, professional, just not cooking tons o' fiction today.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    I agree with Maryn that the books he has listed for sales on his web site are thin, in the sense that many of them are for the period from 1991 to 1999.
    The books I'm seeing there are real, but they all look small-to-medium -- no real standouts, and nothing startling or new. I'd love to know more about the shape of his intake scoop.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    I agree with Maryn that the books he has listed for sales on his web site are thin, in the sense that many of them are for the period from 1991 to 1999. I'm fairly new to agent-searching and to AW. Could anyone advise me whether it would be kosher to e-mail Bob S. and ask him for a list of his book sales for 2008 and 2009 before I formally query him (if I do)? Thanks.
    I received a email from Bob about a week ago requesting a book proposal and 2 chapters. How long does it normally take to hear back from an agent, after sending partials? Not sure about this agency. I just came across this forum. It is very enlightening.

Mr. Silverstein passed away in Nov '12 (obit). Agency closed to new queries.
    ICAO
    ---------