eHow removing user-added articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an email because I wrote one article long ago for promotion purposes and put it on ehow. They're removing all of the user-submitted articles and completely shutting down their compensation program where people make revenue through Adsense. Any article not submitted through their cutting "vetting" process, aka Demand Studios, is going.

I know several people who make good, good money after putting hundreds of articles on eHow over the years. This is no doubt huge for those who enjoy passive income from the site.

Always diversify, because this could happen anywhere you don't own the medium.

Shelley

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
A friend who has about 18 articles on ehow just received her offer from Demand Media to purchase the articles outright. She's been offered $4. Not per article. $4 total for 18 articles, to be paid in 2 installments. $2 in June and $2 in July.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Tell your friend to take those articles, change them a little bit to be less like eHow and more like a general article (if they're the how-tos) and put them on Hubpages, and assign her adsense to them. She'll make more that way. Even if she makes $5 in a year's time rather than the $4 they're offering, at least it's in her pocket and not theirs. She could make much more. A lot depends on the articles, the keywords and how active you are on Hubpages, I'm told.

One Internet marketing guy put 100 articles on Hugpages in a months. He reliably makes around $400-$500 per month with those--at least he did before Google big shift a couple of months ago, I don't know if he does know. I'm guessing he's probably at least close. He knew which keywords to hit, of course, but it does show that a person can probably make at least a little money without too much effort.

Constant Content is another option. She can offer them all probably with very little time spent. It's worth looking into, at least.

Shelley

Last edited:

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Given that, demand is talking out of both sides of its mouth.

If they're removing all the user-submitted articles because of the lack of fact-checking and quality issues, why would they offer to buy them? eHow has always had a review process whereby poor quality articles were turned down.

They're just using that excuse, it seems like, while they'll be keeping articles but paying a pittance for them outright and then collecting all the ad revenue from here to eternity instead of sharing it with the writers as they used to. What a screw-you deal.

Shelley

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to take the $1600 offer they gave me simply because I've no use for the articles that are on the site and they were all so very old to begin with;)

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, she's turning down their offer. She's an artist and has some detailed articles on design and art that she can use elsewhere. But I think people on ehow are expecting more than pennies per article for the buyout.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to take the $1600 offer they gave me simply because I've no use for the articles that are on the site and they were all so very old to begin with;)

Tina, I'm curious how many articles you had? Is what they offered reasonable given how much the articles earned per month?

It could very well be that small groups of slow earners get offered very little while the higher earning articles, particularly large batches, are getting offers more in-line with their potential.

I'm glad to see they're not offering every single person just a few dollars. (And I'd have probably taken that, too, especially if it's a lot of articles. Time putting them somewhere else counts, and may not be worth it.)

Shelley

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Tina, I'm curious how many articles you had? Is what they offered reasonable given how much the articles earned per month?

It could very well be that small groups of slow earners get offered very little while the higher earning articles, particularly large batches, are getting offers more in-line with their potential.

I'm glad to see they're not offering every single person just a few dollars. (And I'd have probably taken that, too, especially if it's a lot of articles. Time putting them somewhere else counts, and may not be worth it.)

Shelley

I had 277. But for honesty sake, only about 30 of them earned any money month to month, the others were game articles that were very very aged and not of use anymore to anyone.

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
She had 18 articles. She admits that they are older and not big earners. But there is no sense in giving them up for $4. Remember -- that's $4 for all 18 articles.

I suspect there may be more disappointing offers than good offers.

Nerwen

Registered
Reaction score
I got the email while at work, and didn't look into it until I got home. In the interim, I assumed there would be a separate offer for each article and I could choose which I wanted to sell. I also worked out that a fair price would have to be something like WCP-lifetime earnings times 5.

The actual offer works out to about $5.80 per article. So, no. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.