AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Derail from Book Promo thread

  1. #1
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between two realms
    Posts
    997

    Derail from Book Promo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    Please please please don't rely on Flash for a book-related site.
    My visitors doesn't really have any problem with flash at all (Actually they love it. Link is in my signature.). And I also say, there is no problem with flash at all. It's a pretty good content protecting system, where you also can use pretty good visuals, combined with audio elements (If you want.). The only problem with flash is the loading time. Sometimes that's used to be a problem.

    Google won't spider your site, and neither will any other search engine.
    Who told you this? My site is a 85% flash site (The previous was 100% flash site) and the last version and the new version is also #1 on Google with different search patterns. Google and other nice bots are also visiting my site regulary (FB bots included). Statcounter love to present the bots as visitors, so I see them regulary on my site. Meta tags and SEO are your friends.

    I just wrote a glowing review of a self-published niche book, and I can't link to the purchase page because it's a Flash-driven site; the page as a page doesn't actually exist. It's all Flash-rendered.
    That's bad site execution, nothing else. But every site can be linked and if the purchase is on a different non-linkable part of the site, let the reader to discover it.
    Last edited by Freelancer; 05-04-2011 at 03:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    My visitors doesn't really have any problem with flash at all (Actually they love it. Link is in my signature.). And I also say, there is no problem with flash at all. It's a pretty good content protecting system, where you also can use pretty good visuals, combined with audio elements (If you want.). The only problem with flash is the loading time. Sometimes that's used to be a problem.
    It doesn't work with any screen reader at all.

    You're completely locking out visually disabled readers. The largest single-class of ebook buyers in the world.

    If you're self-published, you really can't afford to lock out any part of your audience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    Who told you this? My site is a 85% flash site (The previous was 100% flash site) and the last version and the new version is also #1 on Google with different search patterns.
    I'm speaking from professional expertise; considerable professional expertise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    Google and other nice bots are also visiting my site regulary (FB bots included). Statcounter love to present the bots as visitors, so I see them regulary on my site.
    You know that you have a page rank of 0?

    You know that you have almost no text at all that spiders can use to index the site?

    Your indexing is based completely on your metadata.

    Your site isn't actually indexed, because there isn't actual text.

    Most of the Flash text images are so small that people like me can't even read it--even with fairly sophisticated tools at my disposal. It's imaged text with very little contrast, so the usual adaptive technologies can't do anything with it at all.

    The site doesn't work at all on an iPad; it displays a non-functioning nav bar.

    As a reviewer, a site like that isn't going to impress me. You're selling a book, not a game. I can tell considerable effort went into to making it appealing, but it's not going to help customers find your books without knowing about you and the books to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    Every site can be linked and if the purchase is on a different non-linkable part of the site, let the reader to discover it.
    It's not a reader's job to find books. It's not a reviewer's job to spend time trying to find a page with, say, a concise plot summary, that they can link to in a review. They're not going to bother.

    In fact, I can't find any actual reviews that link to your site at all; all I can find are your posts on various forums and Web sites.

    If I Google, Yahoo, or use Bing to find your books, with the phrase

    "Crystal Shade" novel

    your site isn't even on the first page of hits.

    You can create a backend spider-only site, or use better metadata, with good effect.

    There's a reason that Baen, and DAW, and Tor and Bantam Spectra aren't using Flash-driven Web sites to do book PR.

    Flash is a useful technology; it's super for eye candy, for short films, for games, and for animations.

    It's not super for book PR. An awful lot of users don't install Flash at all.

    Also? Music on a site that plays automatically? Really not at all professional, though at least you let people turn it off, and remember to keep it off.

    Also, I note that I can't get Home from your 3rd volume page, via the Home button.

    You know exactly what sort of readers will love your book; you need to help them find your site and learn about your book; one way is to have text that will be indexed, so that search times related to your genre and specific kind of novel will lead readers to your site.
    Last edited by Medievalist; 05-04-2011 at 04:22 AM.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  3. #3
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between two realms
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    It doesn't work with any screen reader at all. If you're self-published, you really can't afford to lock out any part of your audience.
    Actually I can afford it as a website is just a tool, nothing more. The nice, shiny website is only to grab one part of the readers. The other part is an always grabbed by the "word". If you put every effort only to a single website, that product is dead. This website is simply to share information that the product is existing.

    I'm speaking from professional expertise; considerable professional expertise.
    Considering that I'm also a professional, I also speaking from professional experience.

    You know that you have a page rank of 0?
    I simply don't care with it. Some says it has a meaning, but it's just a fancy number for some snobbish guy. Do you really believe that has an essence? Yeah, some guy can tell; oh, my I have a PR7 page. Hooray. Who cares? Since there are PR boosters, the PR numbers worth nothing.

    You know that you have almost no text at all that spiders can use to index the site?
    I also know that.

    Your indexing is based completely on your metadata.
    That's what meta data is usually do.

    Your site isn't actually indexed, because there isn't actual text.
    It's there, yet it's not there. Strange, isn't it? It's working, right? Then who cares.

    Most of the text is so small that people like me can't even read it--even with fairly sophisticated tools at my disposal. It's imaged text with very little contrast, so the usual adaptive technologies can't do anything with it at all.
    That's standard font 11+, what you can see in dozens of books. So if they can't read this, they can't even read the novels either. Although the texts are experimental, so they're not final.

    The site doesn't work at all on an iPad; it displays a non-functioning nav bar.
    I don't have iPad, so I never tested on it or even Android. But this is presenting what's the problem with iPad in general. It's an overhyped stuff. Plus if a site is working fine on various computers (PC / Mac), then it's not the website's fault if an iPad, which was made in 2011 can't open a standard flash website (As this is a very basic flash website. There is nothing fancy in it.). The earlier version of this website, which used the very same flash setup was opened with even simple phones back in 2009.

    As a reviewer, a site like that isn't going to impress me. You're selling a book, not a game.
    If it's not impressing you, honestly I don't really care. I care only with those whose are impressed. And it's not a game. However life is a game and marketing is a game. I won't do rigid marketing. The arts are also simple arts (Sorry. I can create these ones in this style.). If you want I can present you some game arts. Now, those are different.

    It's not a readers job to find books. It's not a reviewers job to spend time trying to find a page with, say, a concise plot summary, that they can link to in a review. They're not going to bother.
    And it's not my job to care with lazy people.

    In fact, I can't find any actual reviews that link to your site at all; all I can find are your posts on various forums and Web sites.
    Because the actual site was launched two days ago. Prior that time there was a nice clean up.

    If I Google, Yahoo, or use Bing to find your books, with the phrase "Crystal Shade" novel. your site isn't even on the first page of hits.
    Google "Crystal Shade". First page, first hit. The very first. "Crystal Shade: Angeni". First page, first hit. Bing "Crystal Shade" first page, second hit. Yahoo "Crystal Shade" first page, third hit. So I don't have a clue what about you're talking. I can send you these results as snapshots if you want. My "Crystal Shade" is usually between the first three. With "novel" however and maybe you tried that way, you won't find it... yet, just within few days as the site was launched two days ago and that meta tag wasn't used in the previous version. But as there is only one world with this name, it's enough if people are using the name "Crystal Shade".

    Also? Music on a site that plays automatically? Really not at all professional, though at least you let people turn it off, and remember to keep it off.
    Now the music got one of the best feedbacks along with the graphic arts. So it seems my site is an exception and what you hate is maybe just a personal taste, nothing else. Until readers (Age 9-79) don't have a problem with #1; the arts, #2; the music, #3; with the flash, this site stays as it is. I know that people love to create rules, love to force it on others, but I never loved rigid rules and I always loved to create exceptions.

    Also, I note that I can't get Home from your 3rd volume page, via the Home button.
    Well, it's working here. Maybe the problem is on your side.
    Last edited by Freelancer; 05-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.

  4. #4
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    Then you're simply blind.
    Wow, you just won the cultural sensitivity award for the week.

    Yes, oh professional one, I am blind.

    I can see you have real talent for PR.

    If people don't know about your books already, how are they going to find them, oh perspicacious one?

    Think about your readers. What do you know about your books that will help them find your books?

    I assume you do actually want readers (as long as they're not blind. Or using an iPad. Or an Android.)

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  5. #5
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between two realms
    Posts
    997
    Then you're simply blind.
    Wow, you just won the cultural sensitivity award for the week.
    How do you say when someone can't see something; blind. Sorry, but if I can find what you can't, then what should I say? That you're right? Sorry, I won't do that.

    I can see you have real talent for PR.
    You misunderstood me. I simply don't care about the Page Rankings.

    Think about your readers.
    Trust me. I do. But I can't and I won't care with nitpicking and oversensitivity.

    If people don't know about your books already, how are they going to find them, oh perspicacious one?
    With all due respect, with the exception of you, everyone was capable to find it.

    cultural sensitivity award for the week.
    And you've just won the oversensitivity award of the week. I don't know which is worse. A direct, honest reponse, or damned great oversensitivity.

    May I ask what the hell is going on here today? You're continuously offending, nitpicking and trying to discredit everyone who has a different opinion. You did this with someone else in a different thread, now here, because I have a different opinion. I know that AW is famous about this; create a mocking situation, then tweet the world with it to others like as if you would be the victim as mocking and discrediting is cool at AW (Nope, it's not), but you never did this before.
    Last edited by Freelancer; 05-04-2011 at 05:22 AM.

  6. #6
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    May I ask what the hell is going on here today? You're continuously offending, nitpicking and trying to discredit everyone who has a different opinion. You did this with someone else in a different thread, now here, because I have a different opinion. I know that AW is famous about this; create a mocking situation, then tweet it to others like as if you would be the victim as mocking and discrediting is cool at AW (Nope, it's not), but you never did this before.
    I'm not trying to "discredit" anyone; you're doing that all by yourself. Magnificently. As you have in previous threads.

    There's a thing where someone looks at something--say, publishing books. Or designing a PR (That's Public Relations, not Page Rank) Web site. And they think "I can do that."

    They likely have some of the skills; they aren't very likely to have all the skills they need. But they don't realize just how very badly they're doing.

    You're in that group. You've got a visually attractive Web site.

    It's not findable by someone who doesn't know you or already know about your books.

    It's not because you "have a different opinion." It's because, once again, you don't in fact know what you're talking about.

    I was laboring under the assumption that you actually wanted people to read and buy and review your books. I was mistaken.

    Also? You're welcome to leave AW at any point. Moreover, I'm perfectly willing to help you find the door, should you need assistance. The only reason I'm not doing it right now, is that I think your performance in this thread deserves a wider audience.

    Finally, I'm willing to put up with a fair amount of crap from you.

    You've pretty much hit all the tropes an arrogant sighted person can hit when referring to someone less fortunate.

    Don't you ever refer to another member the way you have me. I'll put my funny Admin hat and ban your ass so fast you'll be dizzy.

    Good luck with your books.
    Last edited by Medievalist; 05-04-2011 at 06:49 AM.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  7. #7
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between two realms
    Posts
    997
    It's because, once again, you don't in fact know what you're talking about.
    And you're going to tell me what experience do I have. Yeah, right.

    Or designing a PR (That's Public Relations, not Page Rank) Web site. And they think "I can do that."
    I was a marketing manager for few years, so maybe I can create a PR if I want and when I want. Although I assumed Page Rankings because we've spoken about that and not about Public Relations.

    The only reason I'm not doing it right now, is that I think your performance in this thread deserves a wider audience.
    If it's not evil discrediting, then what? Typical AW style. And you're wondering why this site has a bad reputation between the professionals (The real ones. And I'm not talking about myself.). Tsk-tsk-tsk. Don't wonder. If you believe you're discrediting me, you're mistaken. You're just discrediting AW. But that's not my problem.

    I was laboring under the assumption that you actually wanted people to read and buy and review your books. I was mistaken.
    Reverse psychology won't work.

    I'll put my funny Admin hat and ban your ass so fast you'll be dizzy.
    Do me a favor and do it.
    Last edited by Freelancer; 05-04-2011 at 05:44 AM.

  8. #8
    'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Out on a limb
    Posts
    21,482
    Do me a favor and do it.
    Looks to me like Medievalist walked away from this conversation a few hours ago. But I'm happy to oblige. Freelancer has been nothing but difficult during his tenure here, and I'm heartily sick of it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search