Majusculation

Colin Fiat

I Own A Metronome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lulu.com
Majusculation: The act of beginning a line of text with a capital letter when it is not the beginning of a sentence. (1) (2) (3)

…must remember that "majusculation" is an imaginary word and stop using it as an actual literary term robinschaer

Professionalism
The greatest problem with calling a method of writing, especially poetry with all of its artistic freedoms, "unprofessional," is that the art itself is unprofessional. Poetry is not about looking professional; poetry is about bringing to life emotions and points of view that may not have a perceived beginning, ending, or definite form. Poetry is certainly not about being professional, and if that's the sort of thing you're looking for, you're working the wrong medium. divBy0

Rationalism
Traditionally, the first letter of each line of a poem is capitalized, even if it isn’t the beginning of a sentence. However, poets enjoy trashing (sorry, I meant reinterpreting) rules. In poetry, anything goes, including capitalization rules. English Grammar For Dummies, 2nd Edition

Verse Style
For this style of poem, there will be 4 lines per verse (you may think of a verse as a ‘poem paragraph'), and every second line will rhyme. You also need to note that every line of a rhyming poem is capitalized. How To Do Things

Essay
Capitalizing the first letter of each beginning word in a line of poetry is traditional, if not contemporary and common. Historically, this is how poetry has been distinguished from other art forms when rendered on the page, and writing it this way is still often taught in elementary and secondary schools. In scholarship, of course, it is de rigueur that one be careful to note this capitalization, and to reproduce it faithfully when quoting.

In professional contemporary letters, however, the waters have been muddied. As a reaction to tradition, with plenty of examples even within the tradition, American poets often stopped capitalizing their lines beginning loosely with the second half of the 20th Century, a period generally associated with free verse. The abandonment of this particular custom has become the ready practice, so much so that contemporary readers now encountering capitalized first words in lines may find them startling.

Why poets even did this has essentially been lost to us, beyond the historicity of being able to say that poets just always did this. The original truth of its why may be as simple as housekeeping--poetry like this, prose like that. Or it may reside in some nobler ambition, such as attempting to reflect a studied anticipation at the great orator's next line. If the line was delivered in appropriately dramatic fashion, the capital letter in this circumstance became a cue to the reader that a deep breath was taken at this place.

The idea of a breath being taken, or a dramatic point being made, may also be a useful consideration in trying to understand line breaks. It is reasonable to thing that the two worked in concert: The line break was made clear and certain for the reader by the capitalizing of the first word of the next line, this visual cue serving as assurance to the careful reader that, indeed, a line break was intended even if there was no other punctuation at the end of the line to so indicate.

The convention of capitalizing, however, was likely such a pro forma convention that it was never deemed necessary to write its usage into the rules of formal verse writing. The sonnet may have 14 lines and a variety of other defining aspects, but nowhere do the rules say that the first word of each line in a sonnet particularly must be capitalized. This is probably not because it was unimportant to the form, but rather that it was so strong an unspoken convention in poetry generally that nobody thought to include mention of this practice in any specific rules. And since it was not written into the rules, the contemporary writer has taken this to mean that capitalizing of this sort is not, therefore, one of the rules. Alberto Rios

Style Guide
Capitalize the first word of the following:
a sentence, e.g. I am confused.
a complete sentence after a colon, e.g. The crowd all realized the same fact: The band was not sober.
a quotation, if it is a complete sentence, e.g. The teacher said, "Today we will review Chapter 11."
an independent question within a sentence, e.g. The question is, Am I doing the right thing?
each line of a poem, e.g. Walking the shore that day, each reaches down
the salutation/greeting of a letter, e.g. Dear Barbara
the complimentary close of a letter, e.g. Yours truly
each item in an outline or list, e.g. Buy groceries, Go to the post office, Pick up dry cleaning
Dictionary.com

Classical Editing
A typical manuscript for a poem might include several undated versions, with varying capitalization throughout, sometimes a "C" or an "S" that seems to be somewhere between lowercase and capital, and no degree of logic in the capitalization. While important subject words and the symbols that correspond to them are often capitalized, often (but not always) a metrically stressed word will be capitalized as well, even if it has little or no relevance in comparison to the rest of the words in the poem. Early editors removed all capitals but the first of the line, or tried to apply editorial logic to their usage. For example, poem 632 is now commonly punctuated as follows:

The Brain – is wider than the Sky –
For – put them side by side –
The one the other will contain
With ease – and You – beside –

The above capitalizations, which include such seemingly unimportant words as "Blue," "Sponges," and "Buckets," capitalizing "Sky" but not "sea," were regularized into the following traditional capitalization and punctuation by early editors:

The brain is wider than the sky,
For, put them side by side,
The one the other will include
With ease, and you beside.
Poets.Org: Emily Dickinson

Limericks
Rules should be followed in the case of limericks, except when speech is meant to be substandard due to the character of the speaker. All punctuation should be correct in the use of periods, commas, and semi-colons. Each new line of the poem, however, should be capitalized, even if it is not the beginning of a sentence. The language should appear natural other than, as above, when the character of the speaker is meant to be of a particular nature, manner, or ancestry. onlineschools.com

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Whether this proves a point toward the archaic and outdated by way of anti-thesis or strengthens an ideal is subjective and eventually opinion - I may be opinionated and at times my opinions may be wrong - unashamedly. I already accepted making an incorrect statement and illustrate that here. Cheers for answering my question about why you felt the need to do this - most enlightening, however anachronous the reasons may seem to me.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Love your post Colin, especially the part about rationalism. I totally am a poet because I don't want to follow any stinking rules, except the ones that I do.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with you Colin.

However, the drubbing you got did apparently stir you enough to really get you thinking about an element of your style. In that sense, it did you an odd sort of favor, even if not in the most pleasant of fashions. After this much thinking about it, you've hashed out some of your doubts and regrounded your thinking, so you can go back to your choices with renewed confidence and vigor. That can't be a bad thing.

Redaelf

VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hakusa-tegami.livejournal.com
I find it somewhat ironic how very vehement I've seen many here be about not capitalizing every line, because the classic style is no longer the mode.

I did check one of the literary magazines I've looked through, and they were certainly weighted toward not capitalizing each line. Still, it's a new normal, which can always change again.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Just read the entire post for this quote on deviant art - made me laugh - nearly pissed my pants, what an ill-informed individual:
Professionalism
The greatest problem with calling a method of writing, especially poetry with all of its artistic freedoms, "unprofessional," is that the art itself is unprofessional. Poetry is not about looking professional; poetry is about bringing to life emotions and points of view that may not have a perceived beginning, ending, or definite form. Poetry is certainly not about being professional, and if that's the sort of thing you're looking for, you're working the wrong medium.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This made me laugh - nearly pissed my pants, what an ill-informed individual:
Totally unnecessary.

Show some respect. State your opinion, and leave out the personal characterisations.

I cannot imagine why this issue in particular is so emotional and divisive.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Totally unnecessary.

Show some respect. State your opinion, and leave out the personal characterisations.

I cannot imagine why this issue in particular is so emotional and divisive.

I was referring to an off-site quote on DeviantArt not Colin's post - my first post in this thread is more respectful and immediate to Colin's post - not the pissing my pants which is directed to the off-site post by someone else

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know. But the implication is that the OP has used poor judgment in using that citation.

Okay, how about this: I think there's a more sanguine way of saying "I disagree".

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I know. But the implication is that the OP has used poor judgment in using that citation.

Okay, how about this: I think there's a more sanguine way of saying "I disagree".

Fair enough – I’ve edited the post to further clarify that my response is directed at the off-site post and not the OP of this thread. I’ll further add to that by saying – while I don’t completely disagree with the capitalization of every line in poetry – I do understand it to be an outdated and anachronous method of archaic formatting that is still used primarily for the purposes of formalist rhyming poetry and theatrical blank verse – in terms of modern poetry it isn’t entirely discountable either – but to my experience and understanding of the matter by way of how the industry sees it (the industry being the party that pays and prints/publishes) submitting a poem in such formatted style is considered unprofessional. The term unprofessional here does not dictate any particular style, or acumen but instead refers to an acceptable standard the publisher (most modern publishers) demand from unsolicited submissions – whether they publish it with such formatting or any other is ultimately their decision and has little to do with what the poet or original submitting party wants or decides, after all, when you have a piece accepted and sign the agreement and terms of publication you relinquish a degree of ownership and control over it unless stated otherwise – the understanding of this fact could also fall under the interpretation of professionalism in this case.

Taking the off-site post into account – whether I agree with their point or purpose behind their statements is irrelevant as, again, it is the publisher who decides what they accept – if they want titles numbered, stanzas delineated by letters, titles written back-to-front or Chinese quotes between stanzas or anything else whether as rediculous as these examples are or more direct and serious – it is the standard that they request. If a poet disagrees with it, then submit elsewhere – taking the attitude that the publisher must be wrong because we as the poet disagree with their standard can also be considered unprofessional in the manner that I use the word.

As an unsolicited submission – you have very little input toward what the publisher can or cannot do with your piece. They are not doing you a favour by publishing your poem, and your poem is not necessarily a must for them either. They make money or gain interest through publications, unsolicited submissions count as extra source materials and content, solicited material is higher up the rungs and for more recognised publications a larger percentage on average of what appears in such publications is solicited – i.e. requested by the publisher from the poet/author/artist – misunderstanding that fact can also be taken to mean unprofessional.

Publishers and editors expect a degree of flexibility – the ability to write or work to a standard and to be able to follow submission guidelines.

Should a publisher at end-point actually publish a poem with archaic formatting – 9/10 this is a style of formatting added in by the editor to reflect style – at times after discussion with the poet. Whatever visual shape, style, format or layout of the piece at publication, the choice was made by the publishing party. Their publication – their decision. The ideal behind submitting sans further editing other than pace determined punctuation where applicable is that the words and ultimately the poem can speak for themselves – no style over substance. A well-written and skilful piece by a talented poet will shine through regardless and formatting that adds nothing by way of context or concept is fluff that can tarnish that shine. It’s as simple as that, and the understanding of such ideals, the ability to conform by appearance alone if necessary is how you get your foot in the door and how you let those that pay and publish (those that have the literary industry as a profession) see that you are professional by attitude and application - this can in turn lead to the previously unsolicited poet becoming a solicited party, a point where greater control is left with the poet in terms of final formatted appearance etc.

I discuss this futher here.

At the end of the day, whether you agree with a comment I make with regards to your piece or not, or don’t like what I have to say or don’t want to hear what I have to say – such comment is my opinion and meant to aid and offer assistance through my knowledge, understanding and experience. You don’t have to take it as gospel – you can discuss or ignore, do what you will with my inputs. Dedicating a thread to counter a specific comment is a nice move as it opens my comment to public debate and argument – and I’m glad to see that something I said inspired you enough to research and find vigour in your stance and challenge me – perhaps even your own perception. This will always lead to some degree of personal improvement, either through conviction or evolved interpretation. However, the point remains that the entire discussion has stemmed from a gesture on my part to help you – a gesture brought under fire for whatever intended gain. Odd also that by your chosen quotations and selected citations you more or less also prove my point – especially in terms of how the final published draft of a pre-formatted poem is starkly different after the editor has had his hand at it. However, I am big enough and ugly enough to take a hint and understand when my input is not needed or indeed wanted – it’s no skin off my nose to not read your poems, and it’s plain to see that it wouldn’t cause you sleepless nights either if I didn’t. So, with that said, I’ll kindly decline from further discussion or requirement to justify my opinions and comments offered out of kindness.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I said was "try to be a bit nicer about how you say it".

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
On a lighter note...am I the only one that thinks the word majusculation sounds kinda dirty, like you're up to no good in the dark corner?

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Either that or like you're trying to chew something that can't quite be broken down well enough, like incredibly rubbery octopus.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I masticated what I thought was an octopus once. The publishing houses were looking for Pollock so it was not a bad move for a poet - I ended up Squids Ink.