Status
Not open for further replies.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
That makes two of us. I love the instant mutability of the digital word -- for me, it makes writing like sculpting clay. Write sentence. Hmm, let me nip off that word, pat in this other word, pull the whole thing apart and pinch it back together in a different order, excise it from this paragraph and massage it into that one....

And then you have a duck!

*coughs*

I'm in this camp. Although, there was something really fun about the IBM Selectric Typewriter with the round ball and the whackity whackity sounds it made.

Hmmm...something I may look into for nostalgia's sake.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I was just browsing craigslist and found some manual typewriters listed. One's an Olympia for just $20, but the one that really caught my eye was a Smith-Corona Sterling 12, taupe colored, with ivory colored keys. With its case. Supposedly "fantastic" condition. Ooooh. $65. Hmm.

My high school graduation present from my parents was a typewriter to take to college. I was thrilled, really! I wish I'd kept it, but I passed it on to someone else.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Hmm, this thread is bringing me to the theory that:

Typewriter users prefer not to micro-edit during the initial composition, whereas computer users love teh micro-editing.

Off to write my grant application for big, major Federal funding on this vital question.

I think that's a massive generalization. When I first discovered word processing, I micro-edited the hell out of everything.

That's why I never finished anything.

It took me a long time to learn to turn off my internal editor. Just because I could micro-edit, didn't mean I should.
The deuce you say. Really? As tools, or as ornaments?

I don't know, but I noticed several new ones for sale at the Office Max the other day.

Storm Surge

Surfin'
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a ribbon for my Underwood. Wow, manual typewriters are tiring! I love it! :D

So I've been using it for about a week. The other evening I went downstairs to get something and my mom said, "Are you actually writing on that thing?"
"Yeah."
"Something new?"
"Yep."
She shook her head. "I can't believe you would like that."

My poor mother. She knows I'm a freak. She really shouldn't be surprised by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.