AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Publishers Specializing in Horror

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

Publishers Specializing in Horror

Does anyone know of publishers who specialize in horror/thriller fiction that are willing to look at novice writer manuscripts? Paper, not e-pubs, preferred.

Gone
    Toni, if your manuscript is well written, it won't matter if you're a novice or a long-time pro. (My advice is to be as suspicious of publishers advertising for novice authors as you would be of used-car dealerships that advertise, "No credit? No income? No problem!") Reputable publishers are always looking for new voices.

Research the publishers you find in the horror section of bookstores and submit to the ones suitable for your book. You'll already know they've got marketing and distribution. Good luck!
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Are you asking which publishers have open submission policies? I believe Baen, Tor, and Harper Collins do, but you'll want to check that. Do your research. Start with LMP. You can also check the websites of publishers that handle genre and see whether they list their submission guidelines.

The horror market collapsed in the late 1980s and is still recovering. If you can present your book as having overlap with another category -- SF/horror, technothriller/horror, mystery/horror, whatever -- you may have an easier time of it than you will if you present it as straight horror.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    yes, which ones have open submission.

I know Kensington does. I thought Tor and Baen were strictly sci-fi/fantasy. Do they do horror as well.

I know the market went soft, and it's a shame, becasue it's my favorite genre. I still remember someone telling me there would not be a horror market at all if not for Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I'm presenting this as more of a thriller with supernatural overtones.

also, i hate to show my ignorance, but what is LMP?
    Last edited by Toni1953; 10-27-2005 at 07:10 PM. Reason: mde mistake in question

I write novels
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    Are you asking which publishers have open submission policies? I believe Baen, Tor, and Harper Collins do, but you'll want to check that.
    Harper Collins doesn't make it easy to find this information, but here's what their FAQ says:

Unfortunately, with the exception of Avon romance, HarperCollins does not accept unsolicited submissions or query letters.

Gone
    LMP is Literary Market Place.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

practical experience, FTW
    I know it's hard, but I'd suggest submitting to agents rather than publishers.