• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Lowenstein Associates (Barbara Lowenstein)

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the agents at Lowenstein-Yost Assocs? I am submitting a query to Nancy Yost. Aside from checking AAR and Agent Verification, I haven't come across anything negative. Maybe that's a good sign.
EmoteSun.gif
Here's their web site http://www.lowensteinyost.com/index.html

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Which agent was/is this?

I am aware of an agent that reads thrillers that has a webpage and you are to fill out a form with title of the book, synopsis, etc, like a query form. Can someone help me remember who this was?

I know it's a chick, and I know that she accepts fiction.

I just can't for the love of God remember her name.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Could it be Lowenstein-Yost or Prospect Agency? Both have female agents and electronic submission pages.

Others I have listed as using electronic submission forms are Levine/Greenberg and Artists Literary Group.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
They seem legit to me! I know that Rachel Vater is way big time.

Anyone have experience with Zoe Fishman? I know she was their foreign rights agent, but is now taking on other projects, such as YA. I've read the blog of one of her clients and they just gush over her enthusiasm. Everyone seems to say how nice she is. Still, does anyone have a list of her sales?

Thanks!

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
NOTE: Rachel is my agent, so I am biased. The agency has been fabulous to me. Everyone--the agents, contracts, accounting--has been superb. To answer your specific questions . . .

RE: Nancy
Nancy scores great deals (incl a very nice and a major deal in the past few months), reps some commercial best-sellers, & in general is wonderful.

RE: Zoe
Zoe is new. Almost immediately after she joined them this past summer, she got one of her clients a 2 book deal. She also does the foreign rights--and has just had one nice and one very nice deal there for L-Y clients.

In other words, they're quite legit & fabulous.

Melissa

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, what Melissa said. Fabulous and professional, with fabulous contacts. Rachel is my agent also, and has only the highest praise for Nancy. If L-Y ends up wanting you, you're in good hands.

Amanda Hubbard

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a client of Zoe's. She got a two book deal for a writer-friend of mine, and I've been signed with her for about 6 weeks-during which time she's read both my completed novels, assisted in some simple revisions, and has started pitching my first novel to editors.

Thumbs up from me! :)

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Provrb1810meggy said:
Ok, now I'm excited! Just gotta get that pesky synopsis done.

Good luck! Rachel Vater requested the first 5 pages of my paranormal romance based on my e-query, though I haven't heard from her and it's been awhile. I know she's swamped so I'll probably end up snail querying her later. She's a fabulous agent, especially for my current favorite genres (paranormals and urban fantasies), and I would be pleased as punch to have her as an agent.

Same goes for any of the other L-Y agents, actually.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Kasey -- how long did it take for Rachel to respond to your e-query?

J.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Based on my experience, I don't always get responses from Rachel Vater's query form on the website. Your best bet would be to requery snail mail in my opinion.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
jkorzenko said:
Hey, Kasey -- how long did it take for Rachel to respond to your e-query?

J.

She actually replied to my e-query within a half hour. I think I just hit her at exactly the right time. She said she was inundated with paranormal romance manuscripts so was being selective, and asked me to send her the first 5 pages so she could get a feel for my writing style. This was awhile back, late August I think. Since I emailed her soon after that and never heard back, I probably will snail query her just to be sure nothing got lost in cyberspace.

Not to mention, I'll have revisions suggested by another great agent who read the full ms finished soon, so would rather submit that version on the off chance Rachel actually requests more. A girl's got to think positive! =)

Good luck to you!

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Prov. I'll do just that.

Good luck, Kasey.

J.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update -- I received a rejection from Rachel. Twice, actually. She apologized for the 2nd R saying that she thinks she'd set it aside to read again so at least the query is doing some of what it's supposed to do.

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
For the poster originally asking about Nancy Yost, she's terrific. An excellent, discerning agent, and from my perspective as an editor, a pleasure to work with. I think any writer would be lucky to have her. Good luck!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the Lowenstein-Yost website, I'm noticing two things. One, Rachel Vater, spoken of so highly in this thread, is not listed among their agents (gone solo?), and two, there's a "new kid" Natanya Wheeler whose interests include what I hope to sell. Has anyone had dealings with Wheeler?

Maryn, trying harder to get this show on the road

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Folio, right. Now that I hear that name, I think I did read that someplace. Thanks!

Spiny, is it too early to call her and see what she thinks? Oh, okay.

How about now?

Maryn, teasing

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
I just liked how she said she was "hungry." That's usually how I describe myself, in terms of authorial ambition.

I also describe myself as an eight-foot-tall ninja killing machine with the body of an Adonis, so, you know, there are some discrepancies among the reports.