Journal of a Novel by John Steinbeck

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Journal of a Novel by Steinbeck. It is a series of letters to his editor during the writing of East of Eden.

I'd highly recommend the book as it takes you inside Steinbeck's mind, while he was writing his most famous work.

He talks a lot about his routine, and BIC, though not in the same words. Not only is it an inspiration, but I'm finding out how hard he worked and the way Steinbeck set up his chapters and his days work for himself. He also talks about his fears that the book shall not be successful; many facets that we as writers face and question ourselves about on this forum and feel inside.
Better yet, he wrote it for himself; so its not a 'how to write a novel' book.
Just wanted to share this.

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Raphee,
Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read Working Days: The Journals of Grapes of Wrath? In both books it's comforting and frightening to see Steinbeck had the same worries as any other writer with a WIP even though he was well established by then. My favorite quote? When he completed the TGoW mss, Dear God I hope this is good. It's possible I may be paraphrasing there but I think it's accurate.
Here's a link to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140144579/?tag=absowrit-20

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A less direct, but still illuminating and entertaining piece of non-fiction that relates to a Steinbeck novel is The Log from the Sea of Cortez, which details his acquaintance with Ed Ricketts, the source of his character Doc, in Cannery Row. Get the edition with the later initial essay titled "About Ed Ricketts". Ricketts was fatally injured in a car-train accident a few years after Cannery Row was first published, and the essay Steinbeck wrote in his memory is the finest personal essay I've ever read.

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Journal of a Novel by Steinbeck. It is a series of letters to his editor during the writing of East of Eden.

I'd highly recommend the book as it takes you inside Steinbeck's mind, while he was writing his most famous work.

He talks a lot about his routine, and BIC, though not in the same words. Not only is it an inspiration, but I'm finding out how hard he worked and the way Steinbeck set up his chapters and his days work for himself. He also talks about his fears that the book shall not be successful; many facets that we as writers face and question ourselves about on this forum and feel inside.
Better yet, he wrote it for himself; so its not a 'how to write a novel' book.
Just wanted to share this.

This sounds really fascinating. I'm addicted to reading diaries and journals anyway, especially writers'. I'll have to get this.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Steinbeck's journal stands out from the rest of the how-to-writing books because it isn't one. Yet it teaches us so much, since its real and heartfelt. Since I'm a great Steinbeck fan, I loved it even more.
I do my writing at night, after dinner. Initially I was reading it for an hour each night. Now, I read one or two days of his pages every night, and it gives me the inspiration to get up and ensure I write 5 days a week. I used to be pretty irregular and whimsical with my writing schedule. But now I've gone over a month without missing a night of writing, except when I'm travelling like now.
I've started my own journal keeping his model in mind. There are changes though to choose my own style and way of thinking.
That you RiseBeauty and Blacbird for the recommendations. I'll definitely be getting these books.
If you folks have any recommendations of great, honest and helpful diaries of writers, I'd be happy to hear the recommendations.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since this has almost turned in a general Steinbeck thread, some of you might enjoy Travels with Charley (Charley was Steinbeck's French poodle . . . who actually thought he was French) He made a "grand journey" across parts of the US in a pickup truck and camper; just him and his dog.

It's not directly related to writing, but has a number of interesting observations about life in general and the life of a writer.