• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader (short story) - evaluate cultural appropriation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
I have a 4,800-word contemporary fantasy short story that makes use of a real setting and the character comes from a real culture.

I don't need a critique as much as I need a "How offensive is this?" evaluation, and if I am scored poorly, maybe a little direction on how I can screw up less. I'm actually fairly aware myself--but that's why I know I should have people evaluate it XD haha I have a very thick skin, especially since obviously you're trying to help me, so no need for handholding. I don't care if you're PoC yourself as long as you're well-informed on the subject (I'm lookin' at you, Wiscon attendees! You get all the best panels).

I can offer a crit in return. I'm heaps of queer, haha, so if you happened to have written a LGBTQ character, maybe I can do the same for you? If nothing else, I copy-edit for a couple small publications/presses, so I can comb your work for errors. :)

If you're interested, you can e-mail me at [my AW username]@gmail.com, or respond here. Thank you!

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
Which culture?

The Tarahumara (Rarámuri) of northern Mexico.

Sorry, I just realized how silly it is I didn't list it! I guess I just figured it doesn't matter... If my research is valid, the Tarahumaran people aren't really big on Western media, so it's unlikely that I will offend them directly. In a way, this is a bit like writing about the Amish.

My beta reader doesn't need specific experience with natives of Mexico so much as they need specific knowledge regarding "ways dumbass white people clumsily handle fictional representation of real non-Western cultures."

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I know some folks who know the Tarahumara, if you'd like to send it their way.

I'd be happy to beta it, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.