Not open for further replies.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .most writers have to market their own books, regardless how they publish.. . . .
Promote, not market. (Yes, the terms are often conflated, and I have made that mistake myself from time to time, or may do so when speaking casually.)

Marketing is the sales-channel stuff. Commercial/trade publishers DO that, and do not want authors getting mixed up in that role -- selling books directly, consigning books to book stores, etc. (Yes, some do facilitate author purchases for resale. Those are special cases, sometimes if not usually business/professional books with an author who does seminars, workshops, and the like, and sells from the back of the room. Author-direct sales, however, do not show up in sales numbers and can end up shooting the author in the foot.)

Promotion is the effort to communicate to the reading public, to connect with readers. Sometimes publishers do that, and they certainly can help with that, but often authors must participate actively in promotion. Some THRIVE on that connection with readers through blogs and personal appearances. Look at www.brendanovak.com and www.johnlescroart.com for a couple of examples of successful commercially published authors who actively promote themselves and their books (and in Brenda's case, very actively also promotes fund-raising to combate diabetes).

These are my views, but based on a great deal of observation over the years.

--Ken

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, just to clarify, I'm not talking about most self-publishers or anything at all. I'm talking about the OP, who stated that she wanted to have her books commercially published and to see them in print. As such, I'm discussing that group of people. I imagine many and perhaps most self-publishers are doing it to get away from the commercial side of things.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Again... Most corporate published books don't get a lot of marketing money. Mine didn't. Most writers I know don't. Please don't count on a corporate publisher for marketing, or you'll likely be disappointed - most writers have to market their own books, regardless how they publish.

Trade publishers do put a lot of effort into marketing and promoting the books they publish: they'd be foolish not to, having invested so much time and money in them. The thing is that a lot of what they do is invisible to people who don't work within publishing or bookselling. They concentrate on getting the books in front of book sellers, whether online or physical ones, in every way that they can. If the booksellers like them enough to carry them, the readers will have the chance to discover them.

Also, please think before launching pejorative attacks like calling corp pubs "legitimate publishers" in a self publishing forum. ;) Legitimacy is acquired by production of a quality final product, not by corporate size or structure, thanks.

I agree completely. That's a big part of the reason we've introduced the new guidelines for this part of AW, which Terie quoted above. It's so easy to invent new words all the various parts of publishing: but if we all do that we run the risk of confusing or offending one another, which really doesn't help.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Again... Most corporate published books don't get a lot of marketing money. Mine didn't. Most writers I know don't. Please don't count on a corporate publisher for marketing, or you'll likely be disappointed - most writers have to market their own books, regardless how they publish.

Also, please think before launching pejorative attacks like calling corp pubs "legitimate publishers" in a self publishing forum. ;) Legitimacy is acquired by production of a quality final product, not by corporate size or structure, thanks.

I disagree with both your points, Kevin.

Corporate published books get a marketing budget beyond just my own. Any marketing budget is better than none, and just having boxes of books mailed to reviewers on a publisher's dime is a huge savior of your own marketing efforts and budget. No promotions I've done for my books, no matter how energetic, has been as effective as review copies mailed to respected reviewers (by my publishers) nor as effective as placement on bookstore shelves for browsing buyers at bookstores (again, through the publisher's distribution partners).

You can replace these things with sweat equity and effort, but the return on your investment will not be much, generally. Again, I've tried it. Marketing Last Dragon after the imprint died was not successful, and I was a sales/marketing pro before I was an author. Things don't work as well as a publisher doing it for you through their established relationships and networks.

Browsing does not happen quite the same way with the kindle, and I suspect there is much change going to happen over time as systems find new ways to work out the problem of browsing on a device like this (but, the solution has not made itself apparent, yet. Nothing, yet, seems to match browsing in a bookstore.)

As far as the question of my word choice, I don't think it's bombastic to call a publisher that would be granted status as a publisher (before the latest products even arrive in the mail to be judged) by groups like SFWA, HWA, Literary Agents, the New York Times Book Review, and etc. a "legitimate" publisher. I also don't presume to call a company that is not part of that grouping "illegitimate" because it would be improper to label such a wide and diverse group of product-makers with a pejorative. Just because one exists as a recognizable thing, it does not mean a different category must be labeled as an antithesis.

Labels wouldn't be so potentially bombastic if they weren't often manipulated by the scam operations (not by well-meaning self-publishers) to try and bilk people of money. I don't think any of us are concerned with that.

Regardless, if I was interested in anything but factual application of reproduce-able business models for writers, I wouldn't be dabbling in self-publishing at all, no? I can tell you for a fact that my experiments in self-publishing have been dramatically less successful than my work with real, advance-paying, distribution-deals-having publishers. I can say with certainty, and with numbers to back me up after I was promoting a book beyond the life of the imprint that originally published it, that the marketing efforts, even the small ones, of a "real" "new york" publisher was over 80 percent of the success of a debut title.

Again, from what I can see after my dabbling, my numbers don't reflect the hype that is showing up everywhere. I don't see any huge shift happening in publishing to match the hype that I'm hearing.

My question for people who are succeeding, then, is this: Can you create a reproduce-able model of your success that others in different fields and levels of audience-involvement can pick up and also succeed with?

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
..Can you create a reproduce-able model of your success that others in different fields and levels of audience-involvement can pick up and also succeed with?
Mmmm . . . the phrasing of that question seems to load the dice toward a negative answer.

Reproducible model? Absolutely. But it depends on choice of field (high-value-added non-fiction with a clearly defined audience) and access to receptive audience (professional associations, for example). Fiction is a different matter. You cannot replicate a Naida West.

--Ken

Last edited:

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Trade publishing has an effective model for reproducible success. It's spawned New York publishing, and countless successful indie presses. Many small and indie presses fall by the wayside, as well as an occasional "big behemoth", but the activity that one invests time and energy into are clear and effective if you want to start your own publishing company.

The successes of self-published Kindle titles seem to be through voodoo hexes and magic, for all that their business-models can be seen as part of a pattern. That this may be the case for individual authors involved in trade publishing is irrelevant because on the whole commercial publishing succeeds with all the titles they publish. They've located a business model that allows for the voodoo of talent and timing, while self-publishing has not found that, yet.

I would love it if someone could prove me wrong. I'm all for new media and new outlets for writers and readers to find each other.

Library4Science

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.library4science.com
I would say that most good books, for example back lists of commercially published authors, CAN sell well. The key is it has to have a good cover and a good description and it has to be promoted well. With self-publishing you can get your covers critiqued and change them if needed, likewise, you can rewrite your description and you can promote until your book does sell. Promoting an ebook on Amazon is entirely different from what a commercial publisher does with a print book. When a print book goes into a store and sits on a shelf alongside other print books of the same genre/subject, anyone browsing that genre can see the book. On Amazon no one will see your book unless it shows up on 'readers who bought this' or 'we recommend this' or 'top sellers in this category'. You won't get on any of these lists and you will be so far down the search results list no one will see your book unless you are selling substantial numbers of books on Amazon. So you have a chicken and egg situation. You have to promote your book outside of Amazon sufficiently well that you get to a 50-100 sales a month rate where you will start to see your book show up on the 'recommend' lists. Promotion is the key and there are lots of blog posts out there where you can get ideas on how to proceed.

Reaction score
I think it's iffy to count on print distribution as being a major factor by the time any book submitted tomorrow is actually in print. Borders is on the way out, B&N is closing stores like mad and showing bankruptcy warning signs - and the decline of both of these giants is fueling digital book sales as well as online sales, which POD can reach as easily as the largest publisher. Two years is a long time right now.

As an offshoot of that, more and more reviewers are taking (even preferring!) ereader book formats to print ones. Again, an expense that's gone. One well written positive review is about as good as another, on the retail sites where most readers read reviews for ebooks, so many of the reviewers who take exclusively those books from large publishers are losing some oomph as well.

In a way though, I think you're right. One thing that will come out of this is publishers will be forced to pay more for promoting their books. Writers will demand it. Quality editing and skilled promotion are two of the main things publishers should be able to do for writers - and I think a focus on those two things will help them retain writers who might otherwise elect to go it alone.

Deleted member 42

Roughly the difference between a 45 and a 33-LP, near as I can tell.

--Ken

That's a super analogy, and yeah, that's pretty much it.

Amazon seems to be in medias res in terms of changing their Help and FAQs; I'd keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Also, I was contacted about vetting a tool from Amazon for non-Roman display--I've been given permission to mention that, and to note that when I asked if it would support formula quality super, sub, and Greek characters, they said yes, if Unicode supports it, Amazon will.

I'm hoping for a WYSIWYG tool for mobi/kindle format from Amazon that allow return links for footnotes, auto TOC generation based on internal tags, and graphics in running headers.

I don't think it's unlikely, it's just that I'm impatient.

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
Speaking of Kindle, what's the difference between a Kindle Single and a Kindle eBook?

I actually know someone who is knowledgeable about this program (not me!) and have some writer friends trying to work it. The Kindle Singles program has an editor who approves the content produced for it. I'm not sure just how the cover designs are done, but I got the impression they are produced in-house. The editor works with the author on the text and the pricing. The royalty rate is somewhat more generous than for Kindle's normal Direct Publishing program (70% regardless of price).

That's as far as I have heard from friends; I have not gotten involved with Kindle Singles personally.

Reaction score
I actually know someone who is knowledgeable about this program (not me!) and have some writer friends trying to work it. The Kindle Singles program has an editor who approves the content produced for it. I'm not sure just how the cover designs are done, but I got the impression they are produced in-house. The editor works with the author on the text and the pricing. The royalty rate is somewhat more generous than for Kindle's normal Direct Publishing program (70% regardless of price).

That's as far as I have heard from friends; I have not gotten involved with Kindle Singles personally.
Not quite.

To get into Kindle Singles, first, you put up an ebook via DTP that falls into their required length (10-30k). So you need to make the cover, edit the book, do all those fun fiddly bits.

Then you apply for the program for your book. If your book is accepted (a human vetting process), your book gets moved over to the Singles listing, and gets some extra marketing that way.

But again, you put the book up first via DTP, then apply for the program for the book.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So basically, I have a question. If you publish on the Kindle store, what rights can you still retain? I've tried getting published the old fashioned way, got a lot of rejection letters, and now I'm thinking of epublishing on kindle. However at the same time I'm worried that if I do this, I'll never be able to do anything else with my book and I'll have to give querying agents/publishers in a bid to get my book published in paperback.

So yeah. What are the pros and cons of selfpublishing on the amazon kindle store? Can you still try to get your book published the traditional way, or do you have to give all of your rights to amazon?

Amazon is a vendor to you - no rights transfer to them. They are not a publisher they are a distributor.

By making a book commercially availalbe you've essentially "broken the seal" on the ebook rights. Meaning the "first publication rights were exercised - by you.

In the "old days" this could be a probem. Now a days most publishers don't care about this. And...in some cases...sucess in self-published can lead to a trade contract (it did in the case of my husband's books) He was picked up for a six-figure 3-book deal BECAUSE he had self-published. (It took 17 days to get a contract).

If he had gone 'traditional route' - it would have taken 6 - 18 months and his advance would have been about $15,000 - $30,000.

I think self publishing is becoming, and will continue to become, more of a first-run choice for writers looking to break into writing as a professional career. Some will then go on to large publishers; others will continue to self publish only. And both routes are and will continue to be viable careers, I think.

I've seen similar trends.

There's a lot of work in *either* path. But with corporate publishing contracting heavily right now, and expected to continue contracting for a while yet, the odds of getting published (and more importantly, published multiple times) that route are diminishing. That might change as digital sales grow (digital books financially favor producing *more* books faster, not less books slower), but we'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

I also agree with this.

The other thing that Kevin did not bring up is that trade publishers dominate in bookstores but bookstores are struggling. As they struggle, they focus mor on big sellers and the midlist suffers.

Since the playing field is "level" (at least for now) in the ebook world, and since self-publishers really don't have much bookstore presence, the more the buying shifts to ebooks the better it is for self-publishers.

The hard truth is that if you're receiving a lot of rejections, it's probably for a reason. It's just a matter of figuring out what the reason is. Have you had your query letter critiqued in SYW? A bad letter can hurt because it means that they're not even going to bother with reading attached pages. If your query letter is awesome, is there a problem in your opening five? How about the opening three chapters?

Getting rejections does not necessarily = bad book, or bad query. It may mean "not right for me", it may mean "we're full up", it may mean I couldn't get others in the company excited about it.

Good books get rejected all the time. Publishers don't have the bandwidth to publish all the "good books". Of course it goes without saying that MOST of what is submitted is not good enough but just because it's been rejected doesn't mean it can't find a following as a self-published book.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I think you're assuming most self publishers want to be "picked up" by a corporate publisher. And I think you're wrong. Oh, some do, sure; but at least the better informed self publishers, the ones bothering to learn the industry, are already pretty clear that in many cases they're already making more money on their books than a corp is going to give them.

I agree with this both a) many self-published authors have no desire to be "picked up" and b) they're many making more money than trade will give them.

It's almost *impossible* for a self publisher who is selling well enough to "get picked up" to make more money on a corporate contract (outside of extra benefits, like the aforementioned marketing helping your self published books sell more). It's very unlikely to happen.

I also agree. If you are successful self-published you'll generally earn more there than trade. BUT, money is not the only thing people desire. And trade publishing can bring other benefits that for some are more valuable than $'s - Credibility, being in stores, getting into professional writing associations, being eligible for literary awards, getting major reviewers, greater chance at movie, greater chance at foreign, and so on.

Bad books don't sell. If you have a good book, it probably will sell. Either route.

I disagree on this one...because of the tree in the forest. Marketing will be required to get that "good book" noticed. The markting can come from the author, the publisher, or both but someone's got to do it.

That would be true if publishers had any possible way to track ebook sales. But since they don't, it's pretty much false.

They can track ebook sales - Amazon Rankings will tell a big part of the story. RoyaltyShare is for ebooks what BookScan is for print books. Not sure though if they can look at any title or just those under their imprints.

I'm curious where the number came from. Most writers who've gotten contracts after self publishing sold a lot less than that.

That certainly was true for my husband his sales numbers were MUCH lower than that when he was offered a six-figure contract.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
You can't possibly have read every self-published book, so you can't possibly state with any degree of accuracy that all good self-published books tend to earn well, or even that most do. From the writer blogs I follow, plenty of good self-pubbed e-books aren't selling very well at all.

I agree that "good" is not the only factor - you need marketing to get people to know about them but Kevin said the following:

...the way the math breaks out, it's almost *impossible* for a self publisher who is selling well enough to "get picked up" to make more money on a corporate contract

I agree with this (Especially as print dies and ebooks continue to dominate). If the majority of a book's sales comes from ebooks than the 70% the author gets on his own greatly outperforms the 14.9% they get through a trade publisher. I don't think a book that is already "selling well" will more than quadruple its sales just by moving to a trade publisher.

My question for people who are succeeding, then, is this: Can you create a reproduce-able model of your success that others in different fields and levels of audience-involvement can pick up and also succeed with?

Could you clarify the question? What do you mean "different fields" and "different level of audience-involvement".

Books by their very nature are "unique" and each one has to be sold and marketed to its strengths so the techniques for one may not work for another.

Also the term "success" will vary from person to person. Some feel successful with x # of reviews or y award or z number of sales.

If we define success as "number of books sold" - regardless of format). And we assume you can select the books you choose to apply your effortrs to, then I say yes - sucess under those circumstances can be reproducible.

The successes of self-published Kindle titles seem to be through voodoo hexes and magic, for all that their business-models can be seen as part of a pattern.
I would love it if someone could prove me wrong. I'm all for new media and new outlets for writers and readers to find each other.

I totally disagree. My successes on Kindle have been because of pretty tried and true concepts: Good packaging, marketing, high quality prouducts, good cutomer service, value for the money. No voodoo in doing the job "right".

Last edited by a moderator:

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
Not quite.

To get into Kindle Singles, first, you put up an ebook via DTP that falls into their required length (10-30k). So you need to make the cover, edit the book, do all those fun fiddly bits.

Then you apply for the program for your book. If your book is accepted (a human vetting process), your book gets moved over to the Singles listing, and gets some extra marketing that way.

But again, you put the book up first via DTP, then apply for the program for the book.

Thanks for that info, Kevin. I do know one writer who is talking with their editor, though he's never self-published at all. Not sure how they'll handle the process, but he's getting some kind of pre-vetting, or that was my understanding. It's possible he'll still have to handle the DTP process himself first. I'll have to ask him :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Getting rejections does not necessarily = bad book, or bad query. It may mean "not right for me", it may mean "we're full up", it may mean I couldn't get others in the company excited about it.

Good books get rejected all the time. Publishers don't have the bandwidth to publish all the "good books". Of course it goes without saying that MOST of what is submitted is not good enough but just because it's been rejected doesn't mean it can't find a following as a self-published book.

I didn't say that it did guarantee that. If you get only rejections with no requests, however, it means you have a bad query letter. If you get requests and get only form rejections back, or no partials turn into fulls, it might indicate a problem with the writing, and for a majority out there, that is a problem to consider. I had a book rejected because my beginning was weak and the book wasn't good enough. So I wrote a new book that was better, and the response was astonishingly different. The rejections I received were along the lines of, "I love this and the writing is great but it's not for me" or "The characters are interesting and the writing is good but I'm not sure how to sell it." It was very clear that the book was on the right track and that the writing wasn't the issue.

I'm not trying to be mean or even tell Annemarie that she does have a bad book. What I'm saying is that, depending on the responses you get, you can determine where the problem lies. And the problem might be with some weaknesses in the query or the writing, and if it is, that's easy to determine. You just let someone critique it, and then you try to improve it and then you can try again and have a better chance.

And this kind of thing is good to gauge because if it is a problem with the work, it won't do well self-published, either. This is the same kind of advice we give everyone who finds themselves with lots of rejections, and the same advice that was given to me, and it's good advice.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
In the "old days" this could be a probem. Now a days most publishers don't care about this. And...in some cases...sucess in self-published can lead to a trade contract (it did in the case of my husband's books) He was picked up for a six-figure 3-book deal BECAUSE he had self-published. (It took 17 days to get a contract).

I just want to put a big asterisk next to this. :) Because SOME publishers do not care if e-book rights have been sold, but there are others that still have very traditional outlooks. We should also point out that if your book has been selling very well on online platforms, that proves you have an established audience. However, if you put up a self-published book that has only sold 4 copies since you published it and then attempt to move backwards into the NYC market, you're going to have a lot more trouble.

Good Platform = People will fight over you
Bad/No Platform = Here's the door

I'm sure this is not universal, of course.

If he had gone 'traditional route' - it would have taken 6 - 18 months and his advance would have been about $15,000 - $30,000.

Another asterisk! :) Going traditional probably would have entailed an actual wait of 9 months (which is really not all that common) up to about 3 years. It took 3 years for my first traditionally published books to come out. At the time, I took it because I figured hey! It's a long wait but it'll be worth it!

But with the market changing so rapidly right now? I can't say that as a debut I'd sign up for another 3 year wait. So this is another factor authors can look at. Will everyone have to wait 3 years? Not necessarily. But more often it's 12-18 months for publication. Sometimes it's shorter, sometimes it's way, way longer.

(To give context, my books w/Pocket are usually scheduled about 18 months in advance, and my books w/Berkley are being scheduled 12 months in advance).

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I totally disagree. My successes on Kindle have been because of pretty tried and true concepts: Good packaging, marketing, high quality prouducts, good cutomer service, value for the money. No voodoo in doing the job "right".

Your husband's success, though, was noteworthy because it was an outlier in a crowded field of failures, many of whom followed this same business model, no? What happens in a publishing house is that the company spreads its risk out among a lot of different authors, to protect itself from the failure of individuals.

These individuals fail because of no reason anyone can enunciate, most of the time. It's voodoo. It's hexes. It's a zeitgeist that refuses to explain itself.

Reaction score
Your husband's success, though, was noteworthy because it was an outlier in a crowded field of failures, many of whom followed this same business model, no?

Based on the numbers Robin posts, I wouldn't call her husband anything close to an outlier. The outliers are making ten or more times his sales.

I mean, if you think about it that way, ANY book that sells enough to break even for the publisher (trade pub or indie writer) is an outlier in a crowded field of failures. ;) Which I suppose is accurate, if you want to think about it that way. But that's true of anyone starting a small business (which writing is). Most fail. Every successful business is an outlier in a crowded field of failures.

Thankfully, people keep trying anyway. ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Trust me, even by commercial standards he'd be at least above average.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
You could say as much about commercial publishing. Those with the ability, professionalism, persistence, and, yes, sometimes also luck, to battle their way through (let alone to make a living from it!) are a small minority of all writers who aspire to book publication.

That's because the ratio of writers who are good enough to be published to those who think they are good enough to be published is very small.

One rejection means "not right for me." 50 rejections probably means "bad book" (or at least, "not ready for publication").

Based on the numbers Robin posts, I wouldn't call her husband anything close to an outlier. The outliers are making ten or more times his sales.

Not this again. :Headbang:

If he's doing better than 99% of self-publishers, he's an outlier, even if there are even more extreme outliers doing better than him (and 99.99 % of all other self-publishers).

Reaction score
One rejection means "not right for me." 50 rejections probably means "bad book" (or at least, "not ready for publication").
I'll completely agree that 50 rejections probably means "keep practicing". It doesn't always. (We can all talk about Clancy's 78 rejections, etc. ad nauseum - point is, it's not always a simple answer.) I think with publishers contracting purchases right now, it might be even harder than usual to get published, meaning rejections right now might mean less than usual.

Not this again. :Headbang:

If he's doing better than 99% of self-publishers, he's an outlier, even if there are even more extreme outliers doing better than him (and 99.99 % of all other self-publishers).
Sorry that's a sore spot.

If doing better than 99% of all self publishers is the definition of an outlier, then he's an outlier.

By that standard, that makes every person accepted by an agent an outlier in trade publishing, even before they actually get a publishing deal.

Just something to think about...

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
By that standard, that makes every person accepted by an agent an outlier in trade publishing, even before they actually get a publishing deal.

Yes, the difference being that nobody denies that they are outliers (by virtue of being better than 99% of the writers who are trying to get published). Whereas in self-publishing, there seems to be a broad level of denial of the fact that anyone who makes significant money (by which I mean, selling more than a handful of copies of month) is an outlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.