General anime discussion thread

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'll dredge my Texhnolyze DVDs off the shelf and join in. Pretty grim show, as I recall.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I haven't seen MM!. Tried to watch it once, but wasn't in the mood. One day, maybe.

I quit during the first episode of Btoom!, and whenever someone talked about it, I got the feeling that was the right choice. Not my type of show.

Chrono Crusade was a decently entertaining show, with a colourful cast. Surprised me with that perfect, sad ending. Gained major points for that. (I've heard people complain, but it's entirely fitting with the theme, if you take into account the setting.)

Mirai Nikki is hugely entertaining. Dropped it at episode one, at first, thinking it's not my cup of tea, but comments and recommendations made me check it out. Nobody who watches this show will ever forget Yuno...

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is great. I loved it. The misunderstood delinquent with a heart of gold, and the emotionally stunted girl: this show pushes through these well-worn tropes and comes out the deep end. Pity there's no closure, and a second season's not likely.

[On that note, you might try Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge. Something in the mix of shows tells me you might like it (or not, but if you do like it, you can't afford to miss it...).]

Hey there!!! Glad to see someone who's a fan of my top fav 3 anime!

I absolutely loved the sad ending for Chrno Crusade and loved that it was sad. How evil triumphed all made the story feel real. Chrno Crusade was the first anime I watched in Japanese and its manga was the first manga I'd read too. It holds a really special place in my heart :)

Yes, Mirai Nikki kept me on the edge of the seat the entire time. I finished it within two days (pretty much watched it non-stop, the only thing that stopped me was that I had to rest for my class and then had class. And when I was in class I was thinking of it non-stop...). After I finished it, I came to know that it received a ton of hate and just could not figure why. I still love it, though.

And yeap again, really sad that there won't be a second season for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. Thankfully there's still the manga to see what happens to the characters and the story, but then there isn't the anime's wonderful OST and the characters aren't in motion... How deep the characters' stories are really surprised me. Haven't watched much Shoujo (or anime for that matter) so don't know if this is a normal thing or not...

Initially, I was forced to watch the first few episodes of Btoom! by a friend and seeing how the characters were quite fleshed out, that got me to keep watching. (The other anime I was forced to watch by the same friend at that time was Sword Art Online and so in terms of characters, I thought Btoom! was really well done...) I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, though. :\

The creator of MM! passed away and so the series isn't completed... I'd say watch it if you're really really really bored. If not, don't bother because the only redeeming part of the series IMO is to find out what happens to the characters and if they're able to get out of the states they are in (which you won't be able to since the series isn't completed). Other than that, its just for laughs, and its the kind of laugh where its so lame you can't help but laugh. So if that's not your cup of tea, the anime would be just a waste of time. Just letting you know! :)

Thank you for introducing me to Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge! I looked it up, and the weirdness appeals to me and so I will definitely check it out one day. Just not now because I'm wayyy behind on my college work.... (Then again I might give in to temptation someday and watch it anyway...)

Phew, that was a long post! Sorry but I just can't help but gush about those 3 fav anime of mine :)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, that was a long post! Sorry but I just can't help but gush about those 3 fav anime of mine :)

Heh, I fully understand. Welcome to AW and the anime thread. :)

I absolutely loved the sad ending for Chrno Crusade and loved that it was sad. How evil triumphed all made the story feel real.

Well, if you consider the setting and real world history, there really is no other way for it to end without being cheesy (well, a genius might pull it off, I suppose, but the ending was in the cards from the get go).

Chrno Crusade was the first anime I watched in Japanese and its manga was the first manga I'd read too. It holds a really special place in my heart :)

The first anime I saw in Japanese was Silent Möbius (the TV series; there's a movie, too, but I still haven't seen that). I'm absolutely sentimental about that one. Anime characters, when translated into German (my mother tongue) have the tendency to sound naive. Some cultural aspect gets lost in translation. It's amazing how catch those moments, even if you don't speak the language at all (I later learned a little Japanese, but by far not enough to understand anything without subtitles.)

How deep the characters' stories are really surprised me. Haven't watched much Shoujo (or anime for that matter) so don't know if this is a normal thing or not...

As everywhere, there are better shows, and worse shows, and the better shows don't all have the same strengths.

Tonari no Kaibutsu kun takes common character types and puts a twist on them. For example, the male main character is often considered a delinquent, but he's misunderstood. Sometimes he's not violent (Toradora), and sometimes he is (Midori no Hibi), but he always has a heart of gold. Well, Haru has a heart of gold, too, but people are absolutely right to be afraid of him...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, though. :\

My first impression was that it was an incredibly macho show (like, say, Gantz, which I also dropped). What I heard later (e.g. about the treatment of rape) seemed to confirm that. I haven't seen enough to really judge it, though. Since there's so much out there that I'm more interested in, there's very little chance of me ever picking it up.

I was wrong about Mirai Nikki, but what I heard about it changed my mind. That didn't happen with Btoom!

I thought Sword Art Online was fun but forgettable in the first half, and infuriating in the second half. But it was pretty to look at and had a nice musical score, so I stuck with it. Wasted potential, I'd say.

Thank you for introducing me to Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge! I looked it up, and the weirdness appeals to me and so I will definitely check it out one day. Just not now because I'm wayyy behind on my college work.... (Then again I might give in to temptation someday and watch it anyway...)

Hope you'll like it. Just bear in mind that it's another case like Tonari no Kaibutsu kun - fairly self contained, but clearly not finished. A lot will remained unresolved, and the chances for a second season are very slim, as it's one of the worst selling shows this year - no idea how successfully it advertised the manga, but I really doubt it was successful enough to merit a second season.

Anyway, college work is important so don't rush it. :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Finished! And blown away. :) (This is me gushing about Madoka, once again. Two final thoughts: 1) I really need to read Faust. 2) Homura is a Time Lord. It is kind of sad that you can only experience it the first time once.

In addition to the recs I got here, I've been told to watch Perfect Blue, which as I understand it is similarly twisted and surreal, and also the basis for Black Swan if I remember correctly; and also Grave of the Fireflies, which I know absolutely nothing about.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Finished! And blown away. :) (This is me gushing about Madoka, once again. Two final thoughts: 1) I really need to read Faust. 2) Homura is a Time Lord. It is kind of sad that you can only experience it the first time once.

Seen eps 11 & 12? Good. Now imagine what this is like: episode 10 airs, and then the show goes on a hiatus. Tsunami and Fukushima happens. Then, after two months, the show is back... with these episodes.

Very interesting timing, no?

In addition to the recs I got here, I've been told to watch Perfect Blue, which as I understand it is similarly twisted and surreal, and also the basis for Black Swan if I remember correctly; and also Grave of the Fireflies, which I know absolutely nothing about.

Saw Perfect Blue in the cinema. It doesn't remind me of Madoka much; it's more like a David Lynch movie, or maybe Cronenberg? I own a Dvd of the movie; it's not in an anime imprint, but rather in a series titled "Masterpieces of Asian Cinema" (or the German equivalent).

I thoroughly recommend it.

I love Grave of Fireflies. It may be manipulative, but I don't care. Watching it was a harrowing experience for me. It's also one of the view war films about civilians I know.

And while I'm at it, did you see Princess Tutu? Andersen's fairytales meet ballet in a metafictional magical girl tale. I've never seen anything like that. Loses steam near the middle but comes back with a vengeance. A master piece.

Laura Was Here

let's get married
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauratims.com
I LOVE MADOKA SO GODDAMN MUCH

Also Perfect Blue is amazeballs. Anything by Satoshi Kon.

And Grave of the Fireflies was my favorite movie for the longest time.

god I need to stay out of this thread

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I LOVE MADOKA SO GODDAMN MUCH

Also Perfect Blue is amazeballs. Anything by Satoshi Kon.

And Grave of the Fireflies was my favorite movie for the longest time.

god I need to stay out of this thread

NONONO COME HERE MORE OFTEN.

Your taste is superb.

Satoshi Kon is amazing. Paprika is my personal favorite of his movies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of Diabolik Lovers... and it'll probably be the last episode I watch.

Also, I got through episode 6 of Watamote. It’s a really good anime and sadly, I see a lot of myself in it. However, it’s also painful watch. At least this episode had somewhat of a happy ending. Seriously, I just want to hug Tomoko — which would probably give her a heart attack, but that’s beside the point — and tell her that things will be ok. I swear, this show better have a happy ending.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like Grave of the Fireflies, not because it was sad or manipulative, but because I thought the main characters were annoying and kept wishing they would die. Unpopular opinion, I know.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of Day Break Illusion and well… fuck. They let you know right away that this is a Madoka style magical girl show, not the older, shoujo style. Though it does seem to put a higher focus on combat and is a bit gorier. Might end up being closer to Lyrical Nanoha in how the story flows. Still, pretty dark.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of Diabolik Lovers... and it'll probably be the last episode I watch.

I watched one half of the second episode, to be sure. Well, it's better than Amnesia...

Also, I got through episode 6 of Watamote. It’s a really good anime and sadly, I see a lot of myself in it. However, it’s also painful watch. At least this episode had somewhat of a happy ending. Seriously, I just want to hug Tomoko — which would probably give her a heart attack, but that’s beside the point — and tell her that things will be ok. I swear, this show better have a happy ending.

I love the show from the first to the last episode. It pulls no punches, and it makes sure that no people are outright mean to her, to drive the point home. I love how they're creative with the endings. And Izumi Kitta does a wonderful job as Tomoko. Couldn't possibly be better.

Watched the first episode of Day Break Illusion and well… fuck. They let you know right away that this is a Madoka style magical girl show, not the older, shoujo style. Though it does seem to put a higher focus on combat and is a bit gorier. Might end up being closer to Lyrical Nanoha in how the story flows. Still, pretty dark.

Is that Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou? The English title would fit (never heard the English one; for once, the show has an italian subtitle).

It's got pacing problems, but it's certainly interesting. You know you're up against something not so nice when you see a character read Camus' L'Etranger. In French.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Is that Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou? The English title would fit (never heard the English one; for once, the show has an italian subtitle).

It's got pacing problems, but it's certainly interesting. You know you're up against something not so nice when you see a character read Camus' L'Etranger. In French.
Yep, that's it. Funny thing is, I never heard of The Stranger before until I saw people mentioning it in the comments section. After looking it up, definitely sounds like it was meant to be a warning sign that bad things were coming.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Seen eps 11 & 12? Good. Now imagine what this is like: episode 10 airs, and then the show goes on a hiatus. Tsunami and Fukushima happens. Then, after two months, the show is back... with these episodes.

Very interesting timing, no?
Egads! That sounds unbearable. See, this is why I like getting into shows years after they come out, and I know I can marathon the whole thing at once if I feel like it.

Saw Perfect Blue in the cinema. It doesn't remind me of Madoka much; it's more like a David Lynch movie, or maybe Cronenberg?

Okay, that sounds even more awesome. I LOVE David Lynch! And honestly, what I liked about "Madoka" wasn't the content or setting so much (magical girls really aren't my thing) as the twisted, creepy tone of the whole thing, that underlying sense that Things Are Not Okay.

I'm not crazy about war-themed stuff, so maybe I'll put "Grave of the Fireflies" into Maybe for now.

And while I'm at it, did you see Princess Tutu? Andersen's fairytales meet ballet in a metafictional magical girl tale. I've never seen anything like that. Loses steam near the middle but comes back with a vengeance. A master piece.

Huh--never heard of that one. Or if I have, I feel like I may have bypassed it after hearing the title. I like revisiting classic fairy tales though, particularly Andersen's. Thanks! :)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's it. Funny thing is, I never heard of The Stranger before until I saw people mentioning it in the comments section. After looking it up, definitely sounds like it was meant to be a warning sign that bad things were coming.

It's little things like these that make me think they know what they're doing. But it's not always obvious in the way they handle the plot. They rush too much. It's like a two-cour pushed into one.

For what it's worth, I thought neither of Madoka nor of Nanoha. For some reason the vibes I got were Mai Hime (and the longer the show goes on, the stronger the vibes are).

Huh--never heard of that one. Or if I have, I feel like I may have bypassed it after hearing the title. I like revisiting classic fairy tales though, particularly Andersen's. Thanks! :)

It's more a hunch of mine than anything explicit. Although "ugly duckling" is pretty obvious, and I'm fairly confident about echoes from "Snowqueen". Other fairy tales interfere, and in the end it's its own thing.

Also, I'll never forget the ballet dancing ant eater. Nothing in Fantasia can compare.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Please, please, please everyone: give Uchouten Kazuko a try. Intricate story telling with great characters and a wonderfully atmospheric Kyouto setting garnished with whimsical tanuki magic. It's undoubdetly PA Works' masterpiece.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Seen episode one of Kyoukai no Kanata, and it's... disappointing. The main girl seems to be the usual KyoAni klutz, which leads to humour that doesn't work on me and spreads the wrong sort of mood. They're fighting demon-like things, but you have no idea why they're dangerous or what they're doing to you, should they possess you. There are markers for drama in place, and it could go either way, but considering how they handle the show so far, it'll probably feel like empty melodrama. I'm afraid this is going to be Chuunibyou 2, except without the fun.

I suffered through Chuunibyou, wanting very much to like it. I semi-enjoyed Tamako Market, but then dropped Free! after fastforwarding through the episode after the (first?) cliff-hanger. And now this. KyoAni is slowly developing into one of my least favourite studios. I want this show to pick up and become better so badly, but I'm not optimistic.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
I'm holding Kyoukai no Kanata for the weekend . . . so instead I watched the first ep of Coppelion today. Dead serious action-drama whose premise I found inappropriately ridiculous.

There's a nuclear disaster in Tokyo and it's still hopelessly contaminated years later—okay, I'll buy that part.

There are still people living there, even though they have to spend all day, every day in protective gear to keep from dying of radiation poisoning—what?

The military has created, by genetic manipulation or something, three teenaged girls who can resist the conditions in Tokyo, in less than twenty years and thus apparently with no time-consuming failures along the way or any attempt to produce a male model—what?

They send them to investigate Tokyo on foot, with minimal equipment, and dressed in typical miniskirted school uniforms rather than military fatigues or at least jeans and hiking boots—that odd sound you hear is my sense of disbelief expiring, because the only way to suspend it at that point was by hanging it by the neck until dead. Even if they insisted on fanservice idiocy, they could at least have given them a Jeep.

I may end up watching it anyway—it depends on how bad the other options are.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm holding Kyoukai no Kanata for the weekend . . . so instead I watched the first ep of Coppelion today. Dead serious action-drama whose premise I found inappropriately ridiculous.

There's a nuclear disaster in Tokyo and it's still hopelessly contaminated years later—okay, I'll buy that part.

There are still people living there, even though they have to spend all day, every day in protective gear to keep from dying of radiation poisoning—what?

The military has created, by genetic manipulation or something, three teenaged girls who can resist the conditions in Tokyo, in less than twenty years and thus apparently with no time-consuming failures along the way or any attempt to produce a male model—what?

They send them to investigate Tokyo on foot, with minimal equipment, and dressed in typical miniskirted school uniforms rather than military fatigues or at least jeans and hiking boots—that odd sound you hear is my sense of disbelief expiring, because the only way to suspend it at that point was by hanging it by the neck until dead. Even if they insisted on fanservice idiocy, they could at least have given them a Jeep.

I may end up watching it anyway—it depends on how bad the other options are.

Heh, yeah, that was completely ridiculous. Then the over-the-top moralising and drama. But I do like the visuals, and something in the general atmosphere is appealing. Not sure how long that will last me, though. I still liked it better than Kyoukai no Kanata.

Best first episode so far is Kyousogiga, even though the first episode was just condensing the already confusing ONA.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Coppelion is an oddity for me.

I love the art, both the thick-lined character models, their appearances and the setting's stunning detail. It all gives a firm idea that these character are not suppose to exist in that world, and there's something that distinguishes them as foreign. The world is rather interesting too.

But, the dialogue is as stale as saltines, and the drama is giving bad soap operas a run for their money.

Some plot better start up soon, or else this is going to be a sinking ship.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I like Chihayafuru, although at times I wonder if it's embracing feminine concepts a bit too strongly . . .

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Still behind on my anime. :(

I'm about ~10 episodes into Fairy Tail. Others have reassured me that it will get better, and that I should stick with it. I hope they are right. Seems like a typical "I am stronger than you!" shounen so far. MC (Natsu) is a typical hyperactive, overpowered character, though I like that his goal so far isn't to become more powerful, but to find the dragon that raised him.

Animation-wise it reminds me of Naruto crossed with Hunter x Hunter. Music-wise it's very good. I've been enjoying the OSTs for months before watching the anime.