General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Do you hang out on other anime boards much?

Only Animesuki and that's very low on jargon. I read the occasional blog when I'm bored but have no favourites, really.

I think it appeals to people who liked Amagami SS but have a low power level.

Low power level? Practically the only thing that raises my power level is that I watch lots of anime. And maybe that I do watch fanservice shows (whether they be moe or ecchi). I'd consider my powerlevel medium to low (I stream for chrissake). I like Amagami SS.

Photo Kano is just... strange.

It hasn't been revealed in the anime yet. Manami's evil plan.

Ah, I see. I can totally see that side of her. Heh.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Low power level? Practically the only thing that raises my power level is that I watch lots of anime. And maybe that I do watch fanservice shows (whether they be moe or ecchi). I'd consider my powerlevel medium to low (I stream for chrissake). I like Amagami SS.

Watching more shoes is the primary method of raising one's power level...

Photo Kano is just... strange.

What I mean is my impression is that people who like it are people who have watched one or two shows like Amagami SS and enjoyed them but who don't have enough experience to realize that Photo Kano isn't very good. Kind of like people who think Sword Art Online is good. They just don't know any better yet.

kyocrisis

Einherjar
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm haven't seen Photo Kano yet, looks like I won't even bother.

Yeah, maybe I will give SCE another chance, idk. The description I read was a little bit off from what I actually saw, but I'll go another ep or 2 and see.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
This is also the extent of my photochop skills.

Careful.

"A little photoshopping skill can be a dangerous thing."

— Albert Einstein

Case in point:

2mDfbFo.gif

——

Anyway I stopped by mainly to say I'm watching the Evangelion movies right now and that y'all, one of y'all, should, like, start watching or re-watching Texhnolyze, because I really want to read in-depth commentary about it because it's awesome because

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Watching more shoes is the primary method of raising one's power level...

Well, in that case...

What I mean is my impression is that people who like it are people who have watched one or two shows like Amagami SS and enjoyed them but who don't have enough experience to realize that Photo Kano isn't very good. Kind of like people who think Sword Art Online is good. They just don't know any better yet.

Yeah, I thought that's what you mean. My impression is that you can only say that because you haven't seen it. Through watching lots of anime, I have an auto-filter for certain stuff. Having less experience with anime makes the badness stand out even more.

Gotta kill them all!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm suddenly tempted to write a treatise proposing the steps for a heroine's journey by analyzing the structure of various magical girl anime.

I actually decided to do this.

I thought ya'll might be interested.

(I discuss Utena, Nanoha, and Madoka. Also Buffy, since it's basically a mahou shoujo series too.)

ETA: After writing it and thinking about it a little more, I've realized there are some non-mahou shoujo series it fits as well. As I would have expected, it fits Rinne no Lagrange pretty well. Somewhat unexpectedly, it fits Serial Experiments Lain and even Haibane Renmei to a degree. It also fits Star Driver, with Takuto following the steps of the Heroine's Journey. Mawaru Penguindrum also offers male examples of a Heroine's Journey. I guess neither of those should be surprising, considering they're both series that are directly descendent from Utena with decidedly shoujo art styles. I'm trying to think of more examples.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I actually decided to do this.

I thought ya'll might be interested.

(I discuss Utena, Nanoha, and Madoka. Also Buffy, since it's basically a mahou shoujo series too.)

ETA: After writing it and thinking about it a little more, I've realized there are some non-mahou shoujo series it fits as well. As I would have expected, it fits Rinne no Lagrange pretty well. Somewhat unexpectedly, it fits Serial Experiments Lain and even Haibane Renmei to a degree. It also fits Star Driver, with Takuto following the steps of the Heroine's Journey. Mawaru Penguindrum also offers male examples of a Heroine's Journey. I guess neither of those should be surprising, considering they're both series that are directly descendent from Utena with decidedly shoujo art styles. I'm trying to think of more examples.

From the Wikipedia article on the monomyth:

Others have found the categories Campbell works with so vague as to be meaningless, and lacking the support required of scholarly argument:

That's me. I'm trying to puzzle out the difference between the "heroine's journey" and the "heroes journey" in your post, and I keep failing, because the original is already way too abstract.

Example: "Refusal of the call" is irrelevant to a great number of shounen protagonists (this season: Mushibugyou and Shingeki no Kyoujin), though relevant to some (this season: Valvrave).

Because the categories are vague and none are mandatory, it's easy to assert a difference between the "hero's journey" and the "heroine's journey", especially if the protagonist's gender in the end isn't actually an important indicator of what type the story is supposed to fall in. In effect, you have no outside control, and all that matters is your ingenuinity in arguing differences and commonalities.

If you want to talk about what the heorine's journey is like, you'd need an independent variable that tells you whether a story falls into one or the other category (or none at all, unless you claim universality). If you don't have that, you're really just creating a huge definition - and the question then becomes: what for? And: is it useful for that goal?

I'd rather not try to figure out, for example, what the lack of "the refusal of a call" means on a gender dividing line. It's an epistemological swamp. Like that Bowie song: I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought, and I ain't got the power any more.

There are certainly interesting points in your post, but I can't keep up on that level of abstraction.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That's me. I'm trying to puzzle out the difference between the "heroine's journey" and the "heroes journey" in your post, and I keep failing, because the original is already way too abstract.

Oh, it's certainly very abstract, but I'm quite comfortable with working with abstractions and finding them meaningful. If you're not, then that kind of discussion just isn't meaningful to you, which is fine.

Example: "Refusal of the call" is irrelevant to a great number of shounen protagonists (this season: Mushibugyou and Shingeki no Kyoujin), though relevant to some (this season: Valvrave).

There are plenty of stories that fall outside of the monomyth. It's not like every story fits it. Nor does every story that generally follows the hero's journey hit all of the steps. It's silly when people try to say every story follows the same pattern. There's tons of fiction that doesn't fit this stuff at all.

Because the categories are vague and none are mandatory, it's easy to assert a difference between the "hero's journey" and the "heroine's journey", especially if the protagonist's gender in the end isn't actually an important indicator of what type the story is supposed to fall in. In effect, you have no outside control, and all that matters is your ingenuinity in arguing differences and commonalities.

I don't actually think the distinction between male and female is particularly important, and there are plenty of examples of female hero's journeys and male heroine's journeys (as I describe it anyway).

It's mostly just an academic exercise of examining the stories we tell and identifying common patterns in them, which is something I find interesting is all. I mostly just decided to do this, because lots of people were trying to define a heroine's journey based on their gender biases rather than doing what Campbell originally did which was just look at myths and stories (which happened to be male-dominated) and note common patterns. I thought I'd just try doing the same for female-dominated stories that I like.

If you want to talk about what the heorine's journey is like, you'd need an independent variable that tells you whether a story falls into one or the other category (or none at all, unless you claim universality). If you don't have that, you're really just creating a huge definition - and the question then becomes: what for? And: is it useful for that goal?

It sounds like you're trying to think of these as categories, which they're really not. They're really just a interesting collection of common tropes, and I wouldn't try to think of them as anything more than that.

I'd rather not try to figure out, for example, what the lack of "the refusal of a call" means on a gender dividing line. It's an epistemological swamp. Like that Bowie song: I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought, and I ain't got the power any more.

I have some thoughts on this, but I won't bother with them here, since it doesn't really have anything to do with what I was trying to do anyway.

There are certainly interesting points in your post, but I can't keep up on that level of abstraction.

Just think of it as a fun way of examining magical girl anime as myth. ;)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's certainly very abstract, but I'm quite comfortable with working with abstractions and finding them meaningful. If you're not, then that kind of discussion just isn't meaningful to you, which is fine.

It's a process of gradual estrangement for me. I start out thinking I know what I'm doing, and at some point I'm just babbling on.

There are plenty of stories that fall outside of the monomyth. It's not like every story fits it. Nor does every story that generally follows the hero's journey hit all of the steps. It's silly when people try to say every story follows the same pattern. There's tons of fiction that doesn't fit this stuff at all.

Yes, I know.

I don't actually think the distinction between male and female is particularly important, and there are plenty of examples of female hero's journeys and male heroine's journeys (as I describe it anyway).

It's mostly just an academic exercise of examining the stories we tell and identifying common patterns in them, which is something I find interesting is all. I mostly just decided to do this, because lots of people were trying to define a heroine's journey based on their gender biases rather than doing what Campbell originally did which was just look at myths and stories (which happened to be male-dominated) and note common patterns. I thought I'd just try doing the same for female-dominated stories that I like.

How, for example, do you decide that Star Driver or Penguindrum are "female-dominate" (and what does that mean when the distinction between "male" and "female" isn't that important)?

Also, I get the impression that Cambell was writing about his own confirmation bias. When it comes to commonalities in things you have to interpret, it's pretty easy to confuse your one-track mind with commonalities in the real world. I'm not saying that Campbell had no point; just that through my limited exposure, I haven't been convinced of the value of the concept.

It sounds like you're trying to think of these as categories, which they're really not. They're really just a interesting collection of common tropes, and I wouldn't try to think of them as anything more than that.

I don't get the distinction. If you say that story X aligns with a common collection of tropes, you're basically categorising. No?

Just think of it as a fun way of examining magical girl anime as myth. ;)

Okay. From the other thread, in response to "call to adventrue/refusal of the call":

The heroine seeks adventure, but her desire is refused, often by society or some other artificial hindrance. Or, there is a call, but she doesn't refuse it. There is often less internal conflict over whether to accept the call in a Heroine's Journey, and more external conflict due to outside forces that make acceptance of the call difficult for the heroine.

There's a very concrete call to adventure (though very little to no refusal) in Nanoha (in the first 7 episodes, which is all I've seen). There's a very clear call to adventure in Madoka, and the refusal of the call is a big deal (a much more pronounced conflict than Madoka's mum trying to stop her - which is about - what - five minutes?) I haven't seen much of Utena, and remember nothing much about Buffy (didn't watch it regularly either).

So from where I stand, your own examples don't actually support what you say.

Meanwhile, in Shingeki no Kyoujin Eren seeks adventure, and everyone is trying to stop him (we may now be at the supernatural aid stage).

I don't even see the trend. It feels like actual shows don't matter. I could bullshit my way through a paper with little problem (I've done so at university - took some literature courses). It's just that I'm sort of lost about understanding what I'm doing.

(I think that's where our minds work differently: I sense the same difference in our respective approaches to the term "magical realism".)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
How, for example, do you decide that Star Driver or Penguindrum are "female-dominate" (and what does that mean when the distinction between "male" and "female" isn't that important)?

I didn't. They aren't. I only noticed after writing the description that those two shows also fit it, despite having male protagonists. I only used the stories with female leads to develop the steps I described.

Also, I get the impression that Cambell was writing about his own confirmation bias. When it comes to commonalities in things you have to interpret, it's pretty easy to confuse your one-track mind with commonalities in the real world. I'm not saying that Campbell had no point; just that through my limited exposure, I haven't been convinced of the value of the concept.

Eh, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I certainly wasn't looking for anything in particular, so I don't think confirmation bias was very possible for me. Certainly there may be bias in that I chose shows that appeal to me, but they're also extremely popular series, which suggests they have common themes that speak to many people.

I don't get the distinction. If you say that story X aligns with a common collection of tropes, you're basically categorising. No?

I suppose. I just mean it's not really a strict categorization. It doesn't mean anything fits perfectly. There's an amount of subjectivity. Like with the definition of "literary fiction", for example.

Okay. From the other thread, in response to "call to adventrue/refusal of the call":

There's a very concrete call to adventure (though very little to no refusal) in Nanoha (in the first 7 episodes, which is all I've seen).

And she doesn't refuse it, as I mentioned.

There's a very clear call to adventure in Madoka, and the refusal of the call is a big deal (a much more pronounced conflict than Madoka's mum trying to stop her - which is about - what - five minutes?)

She may be reticent at first, but the major conflict w.r.t. the refusal is Homura's attempts to stop her from making the contract. Madoka doesn't have a great deal of internal conflict over it until Homura tries so hard to stop her.

I haven't seen much of Utena, and remember nothing much about Buffy (didn't watch it regularly either).

So from where I stand, your own examples don't actually support what you say.

I disagree?

Meanwhile, in Shingeki no Kyoujin Eren seeks adventure, and everyone is trying to stop him (we may now be at the supernatural aid stage).

Hmm so you think Eren is taking a heroine's journey?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't. They aren't. I only noticed after writing the description that those two shows also fit it, despite having male protagonists. I only used the stories with female leads to develop the steps I described.

In a thread called the "heroine's journey". Because gender doesn't really matter. (Not to speak of sex. Which makes "gender" in "hero/herioine" work more like grammar than like fictional sex [which is an amalgam of gender constellations in the first place, because fictional characters have no sex, unless you go into very much biological detail - which exceeds my actual biological knowledge]).

Do you understand my confusion?

Eh, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I certainly wasn't looking for anything in particular, so I don't think confirmation bias was very possible for me. Certainly there may be bias in that I chose shows that appeal to me, but they're also extremely popular series, which suggests they have common themes that speak to many people.

Fine. So there are shows that you (general "you"; not you in this particular context) think don't quite fit the "heroes journey". You find they have something in common, and formulate your own type. So how, then, does that type relate to the original? A more detailed subtype, maybe? An alternative in opposition?

In this case, it arose out of a gender question. But it's not really about gender. Then about what is it? Is the new type even necessary? Maybe, in an attempt to make sense of the monomyth, you made it to specific in the first place? Maybe it's all under one blanket? How can you tell whether that's the case or not?

I suppose. I just mean it's not really a strict categorization. It doesn't mean anything fits perfectly. There's an amount of subjectivity. Like with the definition of "literary fiction", for example.

Maybe we should write paper on whether the monomyth is compatible with the literary mode of writing. Hm...

Seriously, I think I get what you mean. I think I just instinctively feel it's a waste of time to use terms like "monomyth" or "literary fiction" (or "magical realism", for that matter). These terms rarely add anything to what I have to say.

And she doesn't refuse it, as I mentioned.

Of course she refuses. But then Hitomi comes under the influence of a witch... (Isn't that exactly what they speak about? Clearly, she can't refuse forever, or it would be "the prevented journey of a person who refused to be hero" - something rarely sung about by the bards. She held out more steadfastly than most heroes actually [though you do have a point that she'd have given in earlier if it weren't for a certain opposition].)

So:

She may be reticent at first, but the major conflict w.r.t. the refusal is Homura's attempts to stop her from making the contract. Madoka doesn't have a great deal of internal conflict over it until Homura tries so hard to stop her.

Watch episodes 3 and 4 again: she particualrly talks about how scared she is and even apologises to Mami. Homura is a factor from the beginning, I agree. But at the time of the first refusal, simple danger is - IMO - far more foregrounded. It's all about wishes - danger vs. reward. It's not that simple, either, but it's there, and explicitly so. Good enough, IMO, to qualify for "refusal". If you only allow the pure cases, you can crowd concept-space with lots and lots of sub-types. Not sure that would improve clarity.

I disagree?

Except I haven't actually made up my mind yet. I'm still trying to understand what I'm talking about. It's not easy for me, you know?

Hmm so you think Eren is taking a heroine's journey?

There's a sliding scale of non-heroicness/non-jouneyism: at the extreme end you get slice of life/Waiting for Godot. But, yes, so far I think that Shingeki no Kyoujin is a typical representative, and if anyone's the heroic traveller it's Eren. Specifically, I'd say the Skywalker sub-type (who wants to join the rebellion against the family's wishes, but has a secret history...). The theme's actually pretty explicit in his conversations with Armin. (Obviously, there's no refusing the call. In fact, I'd say he fits - plotwise - your description a lot better than Kaname Madoka. Just like Luke Skywalker.)

But I'm no expert on heroic journeys. And as I said I'm not really interested in that level of genrality, unless I have a clear goal that gives the abstraction a direction.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In a thread called the "heroine's journey". Because gender doesn't really matter. (Not to speak of sex. Which makes "gender" in "hero/herioine" work more like grammar than like fictional sex [which is an amalgam of gender constellations in the first place, because fictional characters have no sex, unless you go into very much biological detail - which exceeds my actual biological knowledge]).

It's about gender to the extent that these seem to me to be patterns in the stories we tell about heroines. Beyond that, gender may or may not be important to the story.

I think these questions are better suited to the original thread than this one.

Do you understand my confusion?

No, not really.

Fine. So there are shows that you (general "you"; not you in this particular context) think don't quite fit the "heroes journey".

There are tons of stories that don't fit the hero's journey. I don't think that in itself is indicative of anything.

The idea of examining the monomyth in the first place is to try to perceive patterns to the stories that seem to resonate strongly across time and cultures (though I do think it's heavily Western-weighted).

You find they have something in common, and formulate your own type. So how, then, does that type relate to the original? A more detailed subtype, maybe? An alternative in opposition?

I think you're thinking too hard about this part. I think it can be informative and interesting to compare them, but trying to apply words like "subtype" doesn't really make any sense to me. It's trying too hard to turn the discussion into a rigorous codification system, when that's not the point. That's just bookkeeping. I don't care about the bookkeeping.

In this case, it arose out of a gender question. But it's not really about gender. Then about what is it?

Of course it is about sex and gender to an extent, because that's what the discussion was originally about, and that's specifically how I chose what fiction to consider. I meant the stories don't have to be and often aren't about sex or gender, nor do I think there's anything inherently "masculine" or "feminine" about the hero's journey or the heroine's journey specifically.

But of course when you bring culture and society into it, then sex and gender become important. You can't tell a story in isolation. You tell it to an audience, and the story you tell is informed by the gender roles and expectations in your culture and society. So in that way, it's completely about gender.

Whether gender is important to the story depends on which way you're approaching it.

Is the new type even necessary?

I'm not sure what you mean. To discuss any definition, you need to have a definition in the first place. The monomyth itself is only "necessary" if you want to discuss it. Otherwise, it's pointless.

There was a discussion over what a heroine's journey would be, so obviously, it's necessary to make attempts to define and describe it in order to discuss it.

Maybe, in an attempt to make sense of the monomyth, you made it to specific in the first place?

I didn't make the monomyth, and I attempted to be liberally metaphorical in my interpretation of it.

Maybe it's all under one blanket? How can you tell whether that's the case or not?

That's entirely subjective, and it's kind of the point of the discussion. Since it's a discussion I'm interested in, I'd rather have the discussion than waste time debating whether the discussion is necessary in the first place. You seem to think it isn't interesting or necessary, so I don't know why you're debating it instead of ignoring it.

Maybe we should write paper on whether the monomyth is compatible with the literary mode of writing. Hm...

I have no idea why it wouldn't be?

Seriously, I think I get what you mean. I think I just instinctively feel it's a waste of time to use terms like "monomyth" or "literary fiction" (or "magical realism", for that matter). These terms rarely add anything to what I have to say.

Then don't use them. For me, I find it hard to have a discussion of something when you don't even have anything to call it. How am I supposed to discuss magic realism or literary fiction if I don't call it something?

Of course she refuses. But then Hitomi comes under the influence of a witch... (Isn't that exactly what they speak about? Clearly, she can't refuse forever, or it would be "the prevented journey of a person who refused to be hero" - something rarely sung about by the bards. She held out more steadfastly than most heroes actually [though you do have a point that she'd have given in earlier if it weren't for a certain opposition].)

So:

Watch episodes 3 and 4 again: she particualrly talks about how scared she is and even apologises to Mami. Homura is a factor from the beginning, I agree. But at the time of the first refusal, simple danger is - IMO - far more foregrounded. It's all about wishes - danger vs. reward. It's not that simple, either, but it's there, and explicitly so. Good enough, IMO, to qualify for "refusal".

I think it's hard to tell exactly because Homura is involved from her very first meeting with Kyubey in all n+1 timelines. In the first timeline, she uses her wish to save a cat and it's never clear whether she hesitates at all. One could argue that the story truly begins with her having already accepted the call.

Furthermore, considering Madoka's conflict in 11 out of the 12 episodes is whether or not to become a mahou shoujo in the first place, I think that suggests her "adventure" isn't being a mahou shoujo at all. One could say that her call to adventure and acceptance was when Kyubey called her for help, and she decided to help him. Her involvement in the world of mahou shoujo and witches at all, even though she isn't a mahou shoujo, could be considered the adventure in itself. Her attempting to decide whether to make a wish is her journey. In fact, that's probably what makes the most sense.

But in any case, there's far more to a pattern than any single step, and I think in general it fits pretty well.

If you only allow the pure cases, you can crowd concept-space with lots and lots of sub-types. Not sure that would improve clarity.

But obviously I'm not doing that. I don't think any story will fit a generic pattern perfectly, unless it's a completely trivial pattern.

Except I haven't actually made up my mind yet. I'm still trying to understand what I'm talking about. It's not easy for me, you know?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to make up your mind about. You seem not to think it's an meaningful or interesting discussion in the first place.

There's a sliding scale of non-heroicness/non-jouneyism: at the extreme end you get slice of life/Waiting for Godot. But, yes, so far I think that Shingeki no Kyoujin is a typical representative, and if anyone's the heroic traveller it's Eren. Specifically, I'd say the Skywalker sub-type (who wants to join the rebellion against the family's wishes, but has a secret history...). The theme's actually pretty explicit in his conversations with Armin. (Obviously, there's no refusing the call. In fact, I'd say he fits - plotwise - your description a lot better than Kaname Madoka. Just like Luke Skywalker.)

I don't think Eren fits either particularly well, and not knowing the ending makes it hard to conclude anything.

I'm not particularly concerned with Shingeki no Kyoujin anyway since I highly doubt it'll have anything close to the impact and resonance of shows like Utena and Madoka. Sure, it's popular now, but I think most people will have forgotten it in a few seasons.

If we add shounen to the discussion, it'd make more sense for it to be series that have already had a meaningful impact and proven resonance past their airing. Like, y'know, Eva. Madoka wasn't praised as "the Evangelion of anime" for nothing. Or Gundam or Gurren Lagann.

If it has to be a shounen battle anime, then maybe Fullmetal Alchemist or Dragon Ball Z.

You also seem particularly focused on the whole "refusal/accepting the call" part, when I think that was the least important and least interesting part of the whole thing.

But I'm no expert on heroic journeys. And as I said I'm not really interested in that level of genrality, unless I have a clear goal that gives the abstraction a direction.

I think it's fine not to be interested in it. Lots of people aren't interested in it. If they were, everyone would be an English major.

Last edited:

kyocrisis

Einherjar
Registered
Reaction score
tldr;

just started watching Valvrave. It's ok so far.

You two feel free to carry on :)

Also can I say I love the ending song? She did great work with the K opening as well.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I think these questions are better suited to the original thread than this one.

Yup, quitting in here (but not diving in there).

No, not really.

I was a fraid of that.

I think you're thinking too hard about this part. I think it can be informative and interesting to compare them, but trying to apply words like "subtype" doesn't really make any sense to me. It's trying too hard to turn the discussion into a rigorous codification system, when that's not the point. That's just bookkeeping. I don't care about the bookkeeping.

It's not any more rigorous than the less refined version. It's just acknowledging that some types are hard to compare because they operate on different detail-levels/abstraction niveaus.

Whether gender is important to the story depends on which way you're approaching it.

That's entirely subjective, and it's kind of the point of the discussion. Since it's a discussion I'm interested in, I'd rather have the discussion than waste time debating whether the discussion is necessary in the first place. You seem to think it isn't interesting or necessary, so I don't know why you're debating it instead of ignoring it.

"Necessary" was a bad word. But I need a sense of purpose behind a term to understand it.

I have no idea why it wouldn't be?

I have to apologise. It was an in-joke, piling on words to maximise vagueness.

Btw, while people at university did talk about the "monomyth", I don't recall people talking about "literary" in the sense of "literary fiction". In academic discourse it simply means "pertaining to literature", and if you talk about literary language, you'd be talking about the language of fiction/poetry, as opposed to letters or business memos. That doesn't mean all fiction is literary, since you can tell a story in the language business memos, but it comes pretty close. It's not a discussion about "elaborate" style. Those do happen, but I don't recall the term "literary" being involved very much.

I think it's hard to tell exactly because Homura is involved from her very first meeting with Kyubey in all n+1 timelines. In the first timeline, she uses her wish to save a cat and it's never clear whether she hesitates at all. One could argue that the story truly begins with her having already accepted the call.

Furthermore, considering Madoka's conflict in 11 out of the 12 episodes is whether or not to become a mahou shoujo in the first place, I think that suggests her "adventure" isn't being a mahou shoujo at all. One could say that her call to adventure and acceptance was when Kyubey called her for help, and she decided to help him. Her involvement in the world of mahou shoujo and witches at all, even though she isn't a mahou shoujo, could be considered the adventure in itself. Her attempting to decide whether to make a wish is her journey. In fact, that's probably what makes the most sense.

I certainly agree that deciding whether or not to make the wish is the journey. Which is precisely why I don't consider deciding to safe Kyubey as accepting the "call to adventure". It starts things off. And Mami's death almost stops the journey, but then Hitomi kicks it off again. It's a very common narrative structure. And I'm fairly certain that's what the "refusal of the call" is supposed to be about.

"Refusal of the call" would mean to stay at home and turn your back to the witches. Madoka tried to do that, but circumstance (and Kyubey) wouldn't let her.

But in any case, there's far more to a pattern than any single step, and I think in general it fits pretty well.

I don't need too many mental gymnastics to fit Madoka's story line into the "Hero's journey". Some particulars may be gendered, but that's all. I see no need for a separate category.

And this is why the above "subtype" discussion is important for me. I'm trying to figure out where you stand. Is it: the monomyth is biased towards the male mode: thus you need to complement it with a female version to be more complete. Or is it: the language used to describe the monomyth is male-centred, and we could add more subtleties.

1. Hero's journey vs. Heroine's journey
2. Heroic journey: (a) Hero's journey, (b) Heroine's journey (with, maybe, a neutral zone inbetween?)

You can argue that the distinction is meaningless, but for me it's a question of knowing where on the abstraction ladder I'm standing. Otherwise I'm adrift.

I don't think Eren fits either particularly well, and not knowing the ending makes it hard to conclude anything.

Yes, and apparently it's about to become really strange. So who knows?

I'm not particularly concerned with Shingeki no Kyoujin anyway since I highly doubt it'll have anything close to the impact and resonance of shows like Utena and Madoka. Sure, it's popular now, but I think most people will have forgotten it in a few seasons.

Which makes it a better candidate for discussion, because fewer ideosyncracies interfere.

If we add shounen to the discussion, it'd make more sense for it to be series that have already had a meaningful impact and proven resonance past their airing. Like, y'know, Eva. Madoka wasn't praised as "the Evangelion of anime" for nothing. Or Gundam or Gurren Lagann.

If it has to be a shounen battle anime, then maybe Fullmetal Alchemist or Dragon Ball Z.

I was going through the current season for a reason: you should be able to recognise the relevant structeres in action. Whether they deviate at a later point is immaterial right now. Halfway through the season, the "refusal of the call" station should be out of the way. (Kyoujin didn't have it.)

Basically, by focussing on the current season. I was going for something like a random sample. A term that can't deal with that, is pointless.

You also seem particularly focused on the whole "refusal/accepting the call" part, when I think that was the least important and least interesting part of the whole thing.

I needed to focus on something. I realise it's the big picutre that counts, though. (Running out of time.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, while people at university did talk about the "monomyth", I don't recall people talking about "literary" in the sense of "literary fiction". In academic discourse it simply means "pertaining to literature", and if you talk about literary language, you'd be talking about the language of fiction/poetry, as opposed to letters or business memos. That doesn't mean all fiction is literary, since you can tell a story in the language business memos, but it comes pretty close. It's not a discussion about "elaborate" style. Those do happen, but I don't recall the term "literary" being involved very much.

And, in fact, I had no idea which way you were using it.

I don't need too many mental gymnastics to fit Madoka's story line into the "Hero's journey". Some particulars may be gendered, but that's all. I see no need for a separate category.

Really? The rest of it doesn't seem to fit at all to me, neither literally nor symbolically.

And this is why the above "subtype" discussion is important for me. I'm trying to figure out where you stand. Is it: the monomyth is biased towards the male mode: thus you need to complement it with a female version to be more complete. Or is it: the language used to describe the monomyth is male-centred, and we could add more subtleties.

Neither of those were very important to me, actually, nor was I decided either way when I decided to do this. I was as clueless as you seem to be.

To use linguistic jargon, you seem to be coming at this from a "prescriptivist" POV, and I am coming at this from a "descriptivist" POV.

I don't think it's too controversial to observe that the majority of heroic tales in Western literature, particularly those that Campbell drew upon, are about male heroes. I do think that the monomyth as he developed it works just as well for a heroine, but that doesn't change the male-biased origin of its description.

Others seem to think the Hero's Journey is inherently masculine or male-centered in some way. I don't know if I agree or not. However, I thought it would be interesting to develop a different description of a monomyth based solely on female-led stories, and comparing that to the Campbell's description of the monomyth. That is all I meant to do.

Questions like whether they could actually be considered the same thing, or whether one is a subtype of the other, or how they relate to each other in some sort of categorical way, are not part of what I intended to do or answer. I'm a descriptivist rather than a prescriptivist.

1. Hero's journey vs. Heroine's journey
2. Heroic journey: (a) Hero's journey, (b) Heroine's journey (with, maybe, a neutral zone inbetween?)

You can argue that the distinction is meaningless, but for me it's a question of knowing where on the abstraction ladder I'm standing. Otherwise I'm adrift.

The distinction is pretty meaningless to me, so I'm not sure what you're even asking.

Though I'm leaning toward (1) since I have no idea what a "neutral" version would be. I suppose it would require taking heroic journeys where both male and female heroes are equally represented and seeing if we can develop a more generic "Heroic Journey"? But then I guess instead of being (2), that would be more like a supertype of (1)...? I have no clue here. I don't know what you mean. Like I said, this feels like bookkeeping, and it's meaningless and uninteresting to me.

For all I care, you can call it "interesting patterns in shoujo anime that Kuwi likes".

Which makes it a better candidate for discussion, because fewer ideosyncracies interfere.

No, it makes it a pointless candidate for discussion.

I was going through the current season for a reason: you should be able to recognise the relevant structeres in action. Whether they deviate at a later point is immaterial right now. Halfway through the season, the "refusal of the call" station should be out of the way. (Kyoujin didn't have it.)

Basically, by focussing on the current season. I was going for something like a random sample.

But the point of the monomyth is that it's backward-looking. It's fundamentally a descriptivist exercise. Not a prescriptivist exercise. The purpose of discussing it isn't to take new stories or stories-in-progress and classify them as one or the other. It's to look back on stories that have made a strong impact and resonated across time, and ask "why" they are so powerful and speak to so many people, and try to identify meaningful patterns.

A term that can't deal with that, is pointless.

Only if you're trying to use the term exclusively for classification.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I'm rewatching Denpa Onna and Aquarion Evol.

#goodshowshatshouldhavebeenmorepopular

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
But the point of the monomyth is that it's backward-looking. It's fundamentally a descriptivist exercise. Not a prescriptivist exercise. The purpose of discussing it isn't to take new stories or stories-in-progress and classify them as one or the other. It's to look back on stories that have made a strong impact and resonated across time, and ask "why" they are so powerful and speak to so many people, and try to identify meaningful patterns.

A tool that can't describe new stories isn't a very good descriptive tool. Now, it seems to me you're saying that if a story doesn't have an impact, it can't be following the heroes journey. And I don't think that's what you mean to say.

I'm as confused as ever.

I have to catch up on Aquarion Evol one of these days. And I agree with Denpa Onna - very under-appreciated that.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
A tool that can't describe new stories isn't a very good descriptive tool.

It can describe new stories. It's not mean to categorize them.

You seem to be trying to do the latter.

Now, it seems to me you're saying that if a story doesn't have an impact, it can't be following the heroes journey. And I don't think that's what you mean to say.

No, I'm saying the motivation of describing the monomyth in the first place is comparative mythology. The Hero's Journey examines archetypical heroes.

Discussing how new and untested fiction fits into certain patterns may be interesting, but it's not meaningful from that perspective.

A character whose story isn't even over yet can't become an archetype. Since few anime can be said to have reached the level of "myth", I consider things like impact and influence instead.

Discussing whether a new anime fits an anime-derived monomyth is fine, but has no bearing on the definition of an anime-derived monomyth.

If we ignore the male/female discussion for a moment, and just consider if we were to develop a monomyth based solely on anime in general, it seems obvious to me that characters like Amuro Ray and Shinji Ikari would have far more weight than Eren Jaeger, since they're archetypical, influential characters, and their franchises have forever changed the industry. The same cannot yet be said of Shingeki no Kyoujin.

I'm as confused as ever.

I don't know what to say.

There's no reason you need to think about it if you don't find it an interesting discussion anyway.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have a theory that anime studios use a ouji board of randomly generated Unicode characters to decide what to call second seasons and sequels.

K-On! vs K-On!!
Yuru Yuri vs Yuru Yuri♪♪
Shinryaku! Ika Musume vs Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai vs Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next
Working!! vs Working'!!
Amagami SS vs Amagami SS+ Plus
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu vs Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (2009)
Arakawa Under the Bridge vs Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge
Kore ha Zombie Desu ka? vs Kore ha Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha vs Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch vs Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun vs Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vs Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.

What is the pattern here?

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
A character whose story isn't even over yet can't become an archetype.

I'm slowly starting to understand why I don't understand you. I'm aware that Campbell was a Jungian, and that he based his monomyths on archetypes. But I can't reconcile what you're saying with what I know of archetypes/monomyths. You use the language, but you seem to be talking about something else entirely.

The topic is comparative mythology; the approach is archetypes-->monomyth. I am interested in comparative mythology, but I don't find archetypes particularly helpful. I'm more of a structural anthropoligist, if that helps.

Because I'm not that interested in archetypes/monomyths as an approach to mythology, my knowledge is incomplete. But from what I do know about archetypes, at least in the Jungian formulation, no character ever becomes one. Any character, and I do mean any character, represents one. The question is just: which one. To Jung at least (and I think also Campbell, though I know less about Campbell than about Jung), the archetype is the mental instinct that gives rise to the concrete image.

I'm not sure what you are talking about under the term archetype, but it feels like you're talking about an inspiring model, or something like that. Something culturally shared, maybe?

Both Jung and Campbell were universalists (like Chomsky in linguistics). If you buy into universalism, I can see how these terms are actually useful. You don't seem to buy into universalism, so I'm not sure what you see in the terms, or if you simply just use the words and mean something else entirely.

Then there's always the chance that I don't know as much about Jung/Campbell as I think I do, or that I missed important later developments. I'm not exactly confident on those grounds.

There's no reason you need to think about it if you don't find it an interesting discussion anyway.

Sure there is: I'm interested in the topic, and people who use approaches I don't like or have trouble to understand still have interesting things to say about it. It's just harder for me to get at it.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
What is the pattern here?

They're probably looking for things that haven't been used yet. My favourite are the musical notes in Yuru Yuri♪♪.

If they did a second season of Madoka, would they add another star in the middle?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You use the language, but you seem to be talking about something else entirely.

It's entirely possible I'm misusing it, or using it differently.

But from what I do know about archetypes, at least in the Jungian formulation, no character ever becomes one.

I suppose I'm using it more in terms of "prototype", which is one way it is used, though maybe not by Jung. By "become" I mean something along the lines of "popularize".

For example, take the character of Rei Ayanami. Her character type can be considered an archetype in anime now. She's the prototype for characters like Yuki Nagato and many others. That's the kind of thing I mean.

I'm not sure what you are talking about under the term archetype, but it feels like you're talking about an inspiring model, or something like that. Something culturally shared, maybe?

Something like that. Since modern fiction aren't myths, we can't talk about them in exactly the same terms anyway. A myth by its very nature must be culturally meaningful enough to repeat. It makes sense to me that in order to speak about modern fiction in a meaningfully similar way, we should be talking about fiction that has had a lasting impact and influential place in the culture. Do you disagree?

Both Jung and Campbell were universalists (like Chomsky in linguistics). If you buy into universalism, I can see how these terms are actually useful. You don't seem to buy into universalism, so I'm not sure what you see in the terms, or if you simply just use the words and mean something else entirely.

Ehh, you'll have to describe universalism more for me to decide.

Then there's always the chance that I don't know as much about Jung/Campbell as I think I do, or that I missed important later developments. I'm not exactly confident on those grounds.

I'm the same. I'm simply talking about what makes sense to me, and what I personally find interesting and meaningful to discuss.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
For example, take the character of Rei Ayanami. Her character type can be considered an archetype in anime now. She's the prototype for characters like Yuki Nagato and many others. That's the kind of thing I mean.

Gotcha. I think.

Something like that. Since modern fiction aren't myths, we can't talk about them in exactly the same terms anyway. A myth by its very nature must be culturally meaningful enough to repeat. It makes sense to me that in order to speak about modern fiction in a meaningfully similar way, we should be talking about fiction that has had a lasting impact and influential place in the culture. Do you disagree?

Actually, yes. To talk meaningfully about this you'd have to talk about the work that is repeated, as well as the works that do the repeating. Because it's act of repeating that reveals what's mythologically powerful (though it might be less powerful in the repeated form, it's easier to spot, because less ideosyncratic style interferes).

Throwaway entertainment is very enlightening, too, in that respect. You need to watch the field, or you lose sight of the topic.

Ehh, you'll have to describe universalism more for me to decide.

Everything you see is an expression of some universal unseen property: every culture references the same archetypes; every language is a variation of the same deep structure, etc.

Principally, that makes some sort of limited sense to me. The problem is that I can't imagine a methodology that lets us actually get at that without falling prey to our own biases. I prefer relativistic models, which construct meaning from difference (because those tend to be easier to spot than commonalities).

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I have to catch up on Aquarion Evol one of these days.
Someone told me it was about orgasm powered mecha, which was good enough to get me to watch the first two episodes.