General anime discussion thread

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're an otaku when you have MAL's database programmed in as a search engine accessible from a keyboard shortcut anywhere in your OS.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
You are right. Though maybe I'll like it if it is done well. What I was thinking about when discussing resets was more what happens in some very long, episodic, series. E.g. in Charmed, which is about three sisters who are witches, often the secondary characters lose their memories of what happened at the end of the episode. Thus it's like the episode never happened. At least in the first season it doesn't matter much if one watches the episodes out of order, because they are all similar, and there is no significant change from episode 2 to 20. One could easily miss 5 episodes and not even notice it.

Ah, I see. I think I get it now (and also LOG's broader point). I call that to myself the "reduced universe mode of fiction", but I quite like LOG's "closed environment" (which is concise and says it all). Basically, you're setting up a status quo and control it, so that nothing happens until it serves the plot development you have in mind. Resets are part of that instrumentarium. In anime romance, in particular, other common elements are "eternal dithering" or "terminal obliviousness" of the main character.

I've never before seen any romantic anime that I have liked, except Chobits if that is romantic, but so far I like Amagami SS.

Yay! Hopefully it stays that way (though some arcs are better than others).

Kuwisdelu said:
You know you're an otaku when you have MAL's database programmed in as a search engine accessible from a keyboard shortcut anywhere in your OS.

Had to google. MyAnimeList, maybe?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Why Infinite Stratos sells shitloads of DVD/BDs while otakus on both sides of the Pacific scratch their heads.

I have to say #3 baffles me most, since as mentioned, Madoka was airing that season, and Star Driver was in its second cour, IMO the two best series in recent memory. But I guess Madoka was just to grimdark for some people and Star Driver was too difficult and Enokido-y (and fabulous).

Had to google. MyAnimeList, maybe?

Yeah. Though I haven't updated my own ratings in forever. I need to get to that one of these days.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Started watching Dragonaut.
Nearly stopped because the dialog was soooooo bad in the beginning.
It's gotten a bit better.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so Dragonaut doesn't really pick up until the end, it gets a bit better at the very end, but its visuals and audio are the only thing really carrying it.
I think there are two major things that hold ti back:
1) It needed more time (i.e. episodes) to fully develop itself. At least twice, if not three times as many.
2) Hand-in-hand with that, is that I don't think the series fully realizes what it is. The messages of the series, once explicated are unclear, conflicted and confused. Nevermind the surface messages.
"Destiny can't be changed...but fate can." Lolwut? Unless there's some sort of meaning in the Japanese words being translated that English just completely misses, that is moronic. And there were so many freaking disconnects in the dialog I felt like beating my brain in with a shovel before the first half was over.

Worse yet even, "I wondered if maybe the love we felt was manufactured...but then I realized it doesn't matter as long as the love is there." Not only is naive, idealistic B.S. (and trust me there was sooooo much more of it, blegh) but the obvious conclusion is that the same idea could also be manufactured. They went nowhere with what should have been a fascinating concept. There's even a conflict between separate and aggregate consciousness as which is superior for life, once again, left mostly untouched.
And the whole idea that the dragons are basically slaves to the humans just gets completely forgotten and tossed to the wayside.
The philosophical ideas I can clearly extract are...scary.
I'm hoping it was just poor implementation. Otherwise the people who wrote this are terrifying.

Also, there are unresolved plot-lines and questions left at the end (not the good kind).
The Lonely Island special was...okay.

Edit: Oh, and the power levels are inconsistent.

Last edited:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Amagami SS finished, well almost. It was serious and realistic. Fully watchable. Some arcs were more boring than others, but that's to be expected since everyone has a different taste when it comes to romance. From the beginning I had high expectations for the last arc with the class representative Ayatsuji Tskukasa, and it was more amazing than I could imagine.

The resets were interesting in that if I'll rewatch parts of it, I'll look for details that one misses the first time. E.g. I'll look for that Christmas tree next time. There were subtle possibilities that it would not go so well for some of the girls in the alternate realities where the boy didn't help them.

Now I really want to play that game, and I feel like creating this kind of game myself.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Amagami SS finished, well almost. It was serious and realistic. Fully watchable. Some arcs were more boring than others, but that's to be expected since everyone has a different taste when it comes to romance. From the beginning I had high expectations for the last arc with the class representative Ayatsuji Tskukasa, and it was more amazing than I could imagine.

My favorites are Ayatsuji and Ai.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
From the beginning I had high expectations for the last arc with the class representative Ayatsuji Tskukasa, and it was more amazing than I could imagine.

Heh. I went into that one fully unprepared... We had five rather gentle arcs, and then... that?

What I find interesting is that favourite girl and favourite arc doesn't match up at all. (Except for Sae, who's both my least favourite girl and the least favourite arc.) Normally, in this type of show there's a correlation for me. (My favourite girls would be Kaoru and Ai, but my favourite arks would be Rihoko and Tsukusa. Go figure.)

Finally - I said it before - I love the minor characters, such as the tea-club sempais, or Hibiki, or Junichi's little sister.

Now I really want to play that game, and I feel like creating this kind of game myself.

This sort of game rarely gets translated, though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished re-watching White Album. It's been a while since I saw it, and having recommended it, I got worried that it might not have been worth a recommendation. Oh, dear, I needn't have worried. The plot is ridiculously over-constructed, full of co-incidences, and yet it somehow works for me (and I hate over-constructed plots).

This was one of the first harem shows I ever watched, so I didn't notice how unusual it was for the genre. First, the characters are university students (and idols), not highschoolers. Second, the show's playing in the eighties, which means answering machines and pagers (instead of cell-phones). The plot would have played out a lot differently, had it been set only a decade later.

I initially didn't intend to watch it all, but I stuck it out. I missed a lot the first time round. It's actually better on a second viewing.

Recommendation stands. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, seriously, how come the cliche "fall and catch one's self on a girl's bare breasts" never happens to me in real life? Or the "walk into the unlocked bathroom as a girl is stepping out of the shower"? Or the ever-popular "accidental upskirt hello"?? It's just not right such common flags never trigger with me. It's truly unfair. Unjust, even. Unjust, I tell you!!

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that favourite girl and favourite arc doesn't match up at all. (Except for Sae, who's both my least favourite girl and the least favourite arc.) Normally, in this type of show there's a correlation for me. (My favourite girls would be Kaoru and Ai, but my favourite arks would be Rihoko and Tsukusa. Go figure.)
Yes. The most interesting arcs storywise was for me Tsukasa and Haruka, but Tsukasa is seriously scary. Since it didn't feel like every problem was solved it was difficult to believe that they had such a happy family life 10 years later. And the way she lambasted the other girls... Such a powerful girl, it felt like Junichi wasn't good enough for her. The best match for him would be Kaoru or Ai, I believe.

Finally - I said it before - I love the minor characters, such as the tea-club sempais, or Hibiki, or Junichi's little sister.
Yes, I wanted to see more of Manaka. She was the dark horse of this show.

This sort of game rarely gets translated, though.
I guess I'll have to learn Japanese. Otherwise I'll have to create a similar game myself. Do you think it would be most interesting with girls or boys? I've lost touch with school kids, so it might be best to have it in a university setting.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. The most interesting arcs storywise was for me Tsukasa and Haruka, but Tsukasa is seriously scary. Since it didn't feel like every problem was solved it was difficult to believe that they had such a happy family life 10 years later. And the way she lambasted the other girls... Such a powerful girl, it felt like Junichi wasn't good enough for her. The best match for him would be Kaoru or Ai, I believe.

Mmm Ayatsuji is the type I love to fall for. She's my kind of girl. :evil

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think it would be most interesting with girls or boys?

Male lead, because probably more girls would play a dating sim as a boy than the other way round. And make the love interests both male and female, so you can play the character any way you want (straight, gay, bi, mysterious tease...). Add non-romantic roles for everyone, too, so they don't feel superfluous if you don't go for their arc. Something like that.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I can add a same-sex relationship. The only difficulty would be the graphics, though that can be solved. After the rest is finished I can ask an artist to draw the pictures.

How I suck at dating! I just tried an online dating game and I managed to piss off all the four girls immediately. One turned around and one is standing with arms crossed now. One ran away and one never wanted to talk at all.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I just wish more galge and eroge were ported to iOS and translated to English. I have Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni for my iPod, but I wish there were more titles available. It would be especially nice if Apple approved erotic content... *grumblegrumble*

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I just wish more galge and eroge were ported to iOS and translated to English. I have Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni for my iPod, but I wish there were more titles available. It would be especially nice if Apple approved erotic content... *grumblegrumble*
Would you call Higurashi harem? I was thinking about it when someone wanted harem recommendations, though from what I've seen it's more horror than romance. I have seen two or three arcs or so. It is similar to Amagami SS in that the story is reset for every arc.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Would you call Higurashi harem? I was thinking about it when someone wanted harem recommendations, though from what I've seen it's more horror than romance. I have seen two or three arcs or so. It is similar to Amagami SS in that the story is reset for every arc.

No. It's a horror mystery. And it actually has an in-story *reason* for resetting.

Sorry, I mentioned galge and eroge, but any good visual novels or sound novels would be nice, too. Though I would probably prefer stuff with more choices... As I mentioned earlier, I don't really care about genre.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
But there is a boy and several girls, and the focus in which girl is shifting in different arcs.

Now I began on Clannad. I'm continuing on it because it's so weird, e.g. the plot with the ghost girl.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But there is a boy and several girls, and the focus in which girl is shifting in different arcs.

Yeah, I suppose there are some harem elements, but it's not really the focus of the story. It's mostly about the mystery of Onigafuchi village and the secret behind Oyashiro's curse.

Now I began on Clannad. I'm continuing on it because it's so weird, e.g. the plot with the ghost girl.

You haven't seen Kanon, then, I take it? I'll just say that Fuko's arc is Key directly and blatantly ripping off their own previous work. It's the most supernatural Clannad gets, though. Unlike Kanon, most of the plot remains pretty solidly in reality for most of the rest of it, except for... a few important things later on in After Story. As I think I've mentioned before, After Story is definitely the best thing Key has done, and the latter half of it really shows a leap in the level of maturity compared to the rest of their work.

Yes, you're a better match for her than Junichi. I'd like to see her dating you.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, ha, I just found a Love Hina RPG game

Heh. How come I managed to make Rei Ayanami's head explode in a Love Hina dating RPG?

You haven't seen Kanon, then, I take it? I'll just say that Fuko's arc is Key directly and blatantly ripping off their own previous work.

Heh, I like the characters in Clannad better, though. And the nobody-can-see-her thing was just so sad to watch...

As I think I've mentioned before, After Story is definitely the best thing Key has done, and the latter half of it really shows a leap in the level of maturity compared to the rest of their work.

Agreed, After Story takes it to the next level.