General anime discussion thread

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much "outrage" for me, as it didn't logically follow the movie (maybe the anime/manga has a better lead up?)... if anything the MMC had a different (adult, also single parent) love interest, and I think it was implied that they would eventually get together and form a family of four, so when I read up on the mange and discovered what really happened... it. did. not. compute.

The anime ends before the timeskip.

I think it makes sense when you think about it from Rin's perspective. She never really thought of Daikichi as a father so much as a companion and guardian.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What specifically do you wear?

girlskirt6.jpg

I was talking to our kendo club president one night, and after a few beers, cross-dressing came up.

Because of its prevalence in anime, I always kind of wondered if Japanese guys cross-dressed more often than American guys. Apparently yeah. I guess it's not just an anime thing...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I left my anime hard drives at home, I got an Apple TV. I figured there wasn't much point buying an Xbox just because it has Crunchyroll when I already have a PS3. Hulu Plus seems to have a reasonably decent selection of anime.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to switch between subbed and dubbed in the Hulu app.

Fine most of the time, but there are a few occasions I want a dub. By some happy coincidence, Ghost in the Shell is the only show I've come across that gave a dub, and was the only one so far I really wanted the dub.

(It's my favorite show to have playing in the background when coding. :D)

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
my. god.

Steins;Gate was awesome. I'm disappointed I didn't watch it earlier. Though, now I won't have to wait as long for the movie. ;)

It was a little slow to start, but every episode was a build-up and eventually even the small details were relevant in the main conflict. And that's what I loved most about the plot, not only did it not fall apart in the end, but it felt like the writers actually planned it all out ahead of time and made use of every detail.

I loved the MC. Great character development. I totally want to be a mad scientist now. :D

And the other characters were well developed to. Even the ones that didn't seem important at the beginning eventually were important to the plot.

Any opinions on Chaos;Head or Robotics;Notes?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score

I'm really enjoying Robotics;Notes. It's pacing is similar to Steins;Gate (same lead writer: Jukki Hanada - anime that is, not the source material). The story's really picking up right now, so I can't say how good the writing is, but I have faith in the show. So far, they've done a good job.

Chaos;Head is decidedly mediocre. I don't remember much. Many people hate it; I don't. But it's not a show I'd recommend.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
my. god.

Steins;Gate was awesome. I'm disappointed I didn't watch it earlier. Though, now I won't have to wait as long for the movie. ;)

It was a little slow to start, but every episode was a build-up and eventually even the small details were relevant in the main conflict. And that's what I loved most about the plot, not only did it not fall apart in the end, but it felt like the writers actually planned it all out ahead of time and made use of every detail.

I loved the MC. Great character development. I totally want to be a mad scientist now. :D

And the other characters were well developed to. Even the ones that didn't seem important at the beginning eventually were important to the plot.

Steins;Gate has been on my "to watch" list since summer. This has convinced me to watch it as soon as possible.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Steins;Gate has been on my "to watch" list since summer. This has convinced me to watch it as soon as possible.

At least I know I'm not the only one behind on my anime. :tongue

I think I'm going to start Madoka next. Heard that was good too. ;)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The reason the show wastes potential is, IMO, that male gamer fantasys take priority, every single time.

Actually, I think it's the exact opposite. If it sticked to its gamer fantasy promise, it could've been great. I'd have loved 26 episodes of watching them grind and fight bosses through all 100 floors of Aincrad.

It's when it became Waifu Wars: The Harem of the Overpowered Shounen that it started sucking.

It never became the gamer fantasy that it could have been. That was the problem.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Chaos;Head sucked. I don't remember if it was actually bad or not, though.

I just know it started out interesting, and then it stopped making sense, and then it became boring.

Robotics;Note is like Steins;Gate, but with Skal instead of Dr. Pepper.

Also I am in love with Frau and I want to have dirty, greasy, smelly, unwashed hikikomori sex with her.

I think I'm going to start Madoka next. Heard that was good too. ;)

That's very behind.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I think it's the exact opposite. If it sticked to its gamer fantasy promise, it could've been great. I'd have loved 26 episodes of watching them grind and fight bosses through all 100 floors of Aincrad.

It's when it became Waifu Wars: The Harem of the Overpowered Shounen that it started sucking.

It never became the gamer fantasy that it could have been. That was the problem.

I actually agree with what you say, here. I could have lived with an unapologetic gamer fantasy. It turned out to be an apologetic one. Gaming skills: (a) save lives, and (b) get you laid. But you must angst about real life twice a day and deny that you're resisting the temptation. The waifu wars I consider part of that apologia. A virtual reality bubble around a virtual reality game. Asuna should have been a game feature; with more customisation options being unlocked as you level up. That's what she amounted to anyway. I expect people to disagree with this assessment, but that was my impression of how the narrative handled her. Whatever she did in the anime was triggered by something Kirito said.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ehh, I liked Asuna until she became a plot device.

ALO ruined whatever good was left of every other character besides Sugu.

And in the end, we didn't even get wincest, just more "they're not actually related" nonsense.

And she still lost.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ehh, I liked Asuna until she became a plot device.

Well, I felt she was a plot device pretty much from the beginning. It's just that, at a certain point, she became a repetitive plot device, and then a reward token. It's not that I didn't like her; I didn't like how the narrative treated her. I could go into details, but I'd really rather not, since it'd be boring.

ALO ruined whatever good was left of every other character besides Sugu.

And in the end, we didn't even get wincest, just more "they're not actually related" nonsense.

And she still lost.

I liked Suguha, too. Oddly enough, I didn't like Leafa. Puzzle that one out.

But again, I didn't like how the narrative treated her. Of course at that point I was pretty biased against the show already, so...

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I finished SAO today. That'll teach me to get excited about the first half of a series. :rolleyes:

Oh well, now I can move on to better series.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So you know that stereotypical scene in anime where the new transfer student is introduced in front of class?

I learned just how incredibly awkward that is in real life.

So as you may or may not know, I'm staying in Palo Alto for the new few months. I started kendo a few months ago back at my university club, but we didn't have a real sensei, so one of the things I was excited about was going to the kendo dojo here.

Well, I went for the first time tonight. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to practice the first time or not, because of membership, joining AUSKF and NCKF, insurance issues, etc.

Finally, the head sensei said "we'll trust in his commitment, and the honor he brings coming from the fine institutions of Purdue and Stanford" (or something like that) and said to go ahead and change.

Everyone else was already halfway through warm-ups, so I was scrambling to get my equipment from the car and get my hakama and gi and bogu on. I had no idea where to change, so I was running around until someone pointed me to the stage behind the curtain (it's a gymnatorium). I was rushing to put my stuff on, and ended up leaving my stuff scattered in different parts of the gymnasium.

After warmups when we were all lining up, I realized I forgot my tenugui on the stage, so I ran back to get it. As I was running back to line up, I saw the head sensei was motioning for me to hurry up, and then when I started to sit down, he motioned for me to come over.

So I did, and went up in front of everyone with him, and he proceeded to introduce me to everyone, and I croaked out a weak よろしくお願いします and a feeble bow, and trudged back to hide behind my bogu.

It was the most stereotypical nervous transfer student scene ever.

I then proceeded to fuck up some etiquette issues and nearly pass out during kihon practice because I'd forgotten to eat or drink anything most of the day, I exhausted myself, my blood sugar took a nosedive, and I had to sit out half of practice.

I have brought shame upon my family. Imma go seppuku now.

Actually, everyone was really nice and polite and cool with it. Although the head sensei did yell at me to take better care of myself, and then he handed me an application form.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you did better than I would have done. *shudders at the thought of crowds*

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Any One Piece fans?

I've never tried it (beyond half an episode or so; they have it on TV around here, but usually when I'm not home). Two aspects:

- Shows of that episode count have to be very good to entice me. So fat that's... none.

- The artstyle turns me off.

- Shounen fighters aren't my thing.

Neither is damning per se, but the motivation to pick it up is pretty low. What's it like?