General anime discussion thread

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone watching or reading Magi? :0 I'm just curious, it's pretty new in anime form but I believe the manga has been out for a while.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone watching or reading Magi? :0 I'm just curious, it's pretty new in anime form but I believe the manga has been out for a while.

I'm watching it. It's surprisingly fun. A bit naive at times, maybe, but really entertaining and well done.

kuwisdelu said:
What else I think is interesting in looking at the movie adaptations is you can tell a lot about the different approaches to writing the directors and writers have.

Quite. I'm thinking of X. Actually, the movie came first and TV-series second, and both are manga adaptions, but they're different continuity takes (with different characters dying as the most obvious example). I saw the movie first, thought it was cheap and cliched and unattractive, and didn't watch the TV series at first. It got a rerun, and I was bored... what a difference a different approach can make. Understandably (due to time constraints), the movie focussed on the plot, while the TV series focussed on the characters. As a result the TV series is epically awesome, while the movie is cliched and trite. That's sort of the risk with alternate continuity stories: they might get rid of what attracts you to the material, focussing on what you think is trite.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
What movies and shows have made y'all cry recently? I have only cried like once in the past month, while watching Elfen Lied, and that wasn't even a full-blown cheek-drencher; it was just a silent little trickle. It's frustrating.
The ending of Fullmetal Alchemist got me a bit emotional (the manga. I haven't watched Brotherhood yet), mostly because it was one of the few series I've been following for years that I got to see through to the end.

Last edited:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
What movies and shows have made y'all cry recently? I have only cried like once in the past month, while watching Elfen Lied, and that wasn't even a full-blown cheek-drencher; it was just a silent little trickle. It's frustrating.
Clannad was the most cryable, with me weeping through most of the second season.

Tonight I was weeping a bit over Kimi ni todoke, but not from sadness.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight I was weeping a bit over Kimi ni todoke, but not from sadness.

Yay! (I'm sure I've mentioned before that Kimi ni Todoke is among my favourites. ;) )

IT'S HAPPENING.

You don't mean... a fansub is coming?

I'm really loving Shin Sekai Yori. The most consistent show so far (only a minor lapse near the molerat ark). I'm going to miss Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, but a lot of shows I'm watching this season are going to carry over:

In order of importance:

1. Shin Sekai Yori
2. Robotics;Notes
3. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
4. Psycho Pass
5. Shirokuma Café (How many episodes is this?)
6. Magi ~ the Labyrinth of Magic
7. Zetsuen No Tempest (a bit of a let down, but I'll still watch, I suppose)

That's a lot of carryover for one season.

Continuing in Winter 2013:

1. Chihayafuru
2. Haganai

Among the new shows, I'm curious about the new Shaft title (forget the name; something about a hikikomori using her brother for playing a real-life dating sim, and she also messes with gods - sounds strange.), and there are a couple of others that look interesting, but nothing immediately strikes me as a must-see. I wouldn't be surprised if next season is dominated by familiar shows. I don't think I've had that before...

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Goddammit nooooooo. Last two episodes of Girls und Panzer delayed until freakin' March. WTFFF?!??

You don't mean... a fansub is coming?

The fansub has been mostly complete for a while. We've been waiting on a camrip to go with it.

Well, we got a crappy camrip of the last 30 minutes or so, but it's something, and it's subbed.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! (I'm sure I've mentioned before that Kimi ni Todoke is among my favourites. ;) )
Did you see the live action movie? Last week I saw it four times.

I find a lot of wisdom in this story. Maybe only because Sawako is so similar to me that it is scary.

The actor Tabe Mikako should get an Oscar for the way she can turn from ugly duckling to cutie just by changing her facial expression.

Kazehaya and other characters were also played well. I missed many of Kurumi´s best lines, but I guess they had to go because of lack of time.

The movie has a french Tati feeling to it with all the things that happen in the background. The reduction of inner monologue was also a plus. The setting and everything was just gorgeous.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see the live action movie? Last week I saw it four times.

I find a lot of wisdom in this story. Maybe only because Sawako is so similar to me that it is scary.

The actor Tabe Mikako should get an Oscar for the way she can turn from ugly duckling to cutie just by changing her facial expression.

Kazehaya and other characters were also played well. I missed many of Kurumi´s best lines, but I guess they had to go because of lack of time.

The movie has a french Tati feeling to it with all the things that happen in the background. The reduction of inner monologue was also a plus. The setting and everything was just gorgeous.

Seen it. I thought it was very well cast; the actors were bringing across the characters much better than anything I've seen in comic/anime-adaptions (not that much, to be honest) so far.

Yes, they cut quite a lot, but that's to be expected in a single film. I thought they did a pretty good job, there. Also, the film-original frame worked quite well, though I can't really remember what it was right now. Something about Sawako's father being a musician, and something about her birth.

I was surprised how well the film worked.

kuwisdelu said:
Goddammit nooooooo. Last two episodes of Girls und Panzer delayed until freakin' March. WTFFF?!??

Huh. Well, they did lose one week (between eps 5 and 6) in which they ran a recap, so I sort of expected a delay, but... March? They're maybe busy with their next series?

This show seriously surprised me. I expected something like Upotte (which I dropped), and got Saki with tanks instead.

And I'm going to miss Tonari no Kaibutsu kun. (Loved the love fortunes they drew: Haru: Excellent luck ~ watch what you say; Shizuku: Terrible luck ~ trouble nearby. If that's not a shoujo deconstruction... :ROFL:)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Well, they did lose one week (between eps 5 and 6) in which they ran a recap, so I sort of expected a delay, but... March? They're maybe busy with their next series?

They only ran that recap because the next episode was delayed.

I guess they're putting a lot of work into the final episodes, figured out they wouldn't make it in time to air during the regular timeslot, and couldn't find another one.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Mimi wo sumaseba by Studio Ghibli? I saw it a few days ago. It seemed to be of high quality, but I found it boring, just like Kari-gurashi no Arietti.

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
The ending of Fullmetal Alchemist got me a bit emotional (the manga. I haven't watched Brotherhood yet), mostly because it was one of the few series I've been following for years that I got to see through to the end.

FMA is full of feels and Brotherhood is even worse. :(

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well it's the eve of the end of the world.

Are you ready for the tumbling down?

tumbling1.jpg

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
BUT NOW
THROUGH ALL THE HURT AND PAIN
IT'S TIME FOR ME TO RESPECT
THE ONES YOU LOVE MEAN MORE THAN ANYTHING

tumbling4.jpg

kuwisdelu