General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. IMO, Madoka was mindfuck Lite. If I'd had my way, I'd have Shinbo stretch out the last two episodes into two. One isn't enough for an adequate mindfuck. (Yes, I loved episodes 25 and 26 of Eva and the movie.). Shinbo cites Anno as a major inspiration of his. I wish I'd gotten more than one measly episode of mindfuck. I thought Shinbo had more balls than that. Meh.
You don't wanna watch Utena. You're gonna be so fucked.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I was thinking of watching Soul Eater, but I was under the impression that it was a more "violent" anime. Am I mistaken? Not that I don't love "adorable" anime.... ;)

I think the last full anime I watched was Pandora Hearts, and I really loved it until the last few episodes... then it got weird. :Wha: Before that it was D.Gray-man, which was also pretty good though it one of those non-endings when the anime catches up to the manga.

I honestly have no idea how "violent" Soul Eater would be considered by normal people. Like I said, I'm in an "adorable" phase. I don't see the seriously messed-up parts... just the superfreakingadorable parts. Which may or may not actually be adorable. It's actually starting to freak me out a little... heheh. ^^'

Have you caught the beginning of season 2? It's now running, and, IMO, it's much improved. Better pace, better character design (the more outlandish Youkai don't stand out as much, anymore), more of an edge. It's probably the surprise of the season for me. (I liked season 1 well enough but didn't think it was anything special.)

Heh... I feel kind of the opposite. I liked the first season, but caught the first episode of the second and was seriously not impressed. Mostly this is because the script changed fairly drastically in the first ep's incident from what it had been portrayed as in the flashbacks from the first season, and it's really not a big deal but continuity mess-ups like that really, really, really bug me. (Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know how much of the actual dialogue changes might have been due to different translators or something, but I definitely got the sense the scene was expanded upon without adhering to the original flashbacks' structure.......)

Also, the fact that Rikuo is voiced by Jun Fukuyama is really starting to bug me. I seriously can't recognize the voice at all, even knowing that I *should* be able to recognize it, and for some reason this bugs me majorly. Probably it's just because I'm a total freak. Oh, well.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I think my problem with Eva wasn't so much the mindfuck, but the characters. I hated the characters. I think for much of the series I was hoping for all of them to just die.

Just watched a few episodes of Soul Eater. I say its more comical/cartoon violence. But I can see where "adorable" comes from. And OMG the fanservice! :Jaw:

Now I'll also have to add Kamisama no Memochou and Spice and Wolf to my list. I need to watch faster. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You don't wanna watch Utena. You're gonna be so fucked.

Now I know I'll enjoy it.

I think my problem with Eva wasn't so much the mindfuck, but the characters. I hated the characters. I think for much of the series I was hoping for all of them to just die.

Mmm, I see. I can kind of understand that. It takes certain kinds of life experiences to be able to relate to Eva's characters. I get that lots of people don't like them. It so happens, I identify with them very, very strongly. Some people don't. Me? They are the characters to which I've felt the most strongly connected, in any media.

On a related note, I'm currently nervous because someone is logged onto my department's Linux server with the username "seele." It's probably a coincidence. But if you've seen Eva, you know why it makes me nervous.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. IMO, Madoka was mindfuck Lite. If I'd had my way, I'd have Shinbo stretch out the last two episodes into two. One isn't enough for an adequate mindfuck. (Yes, I loved episodes 25 and 26 of Eva and the movie.). Shinbo cites Anno as a major inspiration of his. I wish I'd gotten more than one measly episode of mindfuck. I thought Shinbo had more balls than that. Meh.

1. It wasn't Shinbou's story. Personally, I thought being reigned in like that did him good.

2. I personally consider nothing about Madoka a mind-fuck. I'm going by what others say - many couldn't make heads nor tails of the witches. Me? I s'pose my minds permanently fucked, anyway.

And... I'm so going to watch Penguin Drum. It's fun.

In any case, I just rewatched the last episodes of Madoka, Star Driver, and Sora no Woto on a whim. All three stood up to repeat watchings, splendidly.

Ooh, ooh. Sora no Woto!

LilliCray said:
Heh... I feel kind of the opposite. I liked the first season, but caught the first episode of the second and was seriously not impressed. Mostly this is because the script changed fairly drastically in the first ep's incident from what it had been portrayed as in the flashbacks from the first season, and it's really not a big deal but continuity mess-ups like that really, really, really bug me.

Heh, I was sort of worried you'd feel that way. Although I don't remember a continuity mess up. Didn't we see only part of what happened, and from another point-of-view anyway? (The scene choreography is certainly different, but I don't think that's what you're saying.)

However, me not remembering says nothing really. Heh.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just watched a few episodes of Soul Eater. I say its more comical/cartoon violence. But I can see where "adorable" comes from. And OMG the fanservice!

The fanservice actually doesn't feature as prominently as one might think from the first episode. It's definitely there, but mostly it's Blair, who doesn't show up much.

Unless I didn't notice other fanservice-y things. Which is entirely possible, since I'm not interested in stuff like that and tend not to notice it unless a crapload of attention is drawn to it (like Blue Exorcist episode 12. TT.TT)

Heh, I was sort of worried you'd feel that way. Although I don't remember a continuity mess up. Didn't we see only part of what happened, and from another point-of-view anyway? (The scene choreography is certainly different, but I don't think that's what you're saying.)

However, me not remembering says nothing really. Heh.

There was a line that was a huge deal in Kana's flashback in the first scene, something like "if it's scary, close your eyes," which wasn't quite the same, and I believe the point at which the characters in the bus woke up was a little different, or at least the positions of the good guys at that point was different, and also suddenly instead of just one bad guy there were, like, thirty million. (Technically, all the continuity mismatches could be explained by faulty memory, considering it had been, what, five years or so?) But I have a really, really detail-oriented brain, and I notice very, very small errors in continuity, so really I doubt any (saner) person would have issues with it.

True story: in Dean Koontz's Mr. Murder, there are descriptions of how each of a little girl's weird-pet menagerie is killed. Something like one or two hundred pages later, someone tells the girl's dad how her hamster and gerbil died, but the deaths were switched from what they'd been at the time. And I actually remembered. And yet somehow I frequently forget to take my meds every day..... my brain is seriously weird.

What are some of you guys' takes on anime series movies? I've always been somewhat leery of them (and downright refuse to watch the RahXephon movie, because the series had the best ending ever and I didn't want that memory tainted in my mind) which was only worsened when I watched the Escaflowne movie. Which seriously made my head hurt. What the crap, they did an alternate retelling of the series in movie format? Why, for the love of all that is good and completely necessary???

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
There was a line that was a huge deal in Kana's flashback in the first scene, something like "if it's scary, close your eyes," which wasn't quite the same, and I believe the point at which the characters in the bus woke up was a little different, or at least the positions of the good guys at that point was different, and also suddenly instead of just one bad guy there were, like, thirty million.

Ah, I see. Some things are coming back. I've put the differences I did remember down to different pov, but there are too many. Doesn't really cut it.

Actually, I think the problem here is that the show (both seasons) is an adaptation of a manga, and it's obvious that season 2 has a different take on the source material (I can't talk about the manga as I don't know it at all). So I think differences are due to a different adaptation philosophy (and - without knowing the source material - the second season is more attractive to me, that way).

(Btw, I have a very selective memory.)

What are some of you guys' takes on anime series movies? I've always been somewhat leery of them (and downright refuse to watch the RahXephon movie, because the series had the best ending ever and I didn't want that memory tainted in my mind) which was only worsened when I watched the Escaflowne movie. Which seriously made my head hurt. What the crap, they did an alternate retelling of the series in movie format? Why, for the love of all that is good and completely necessary???

It depends. Re-tellings almost never work. My prime example is the X movie. It was terrible. It kept all the clichés and threw out everything that made the series great.

On the other hand, tie-ins can be great, as the recent Haruhi Suzumiya movie showed. Stellar animation, great story line, entirely consistent with the series. I haven't yet seen the Eden of the East movies, but they've got the potential to fit that category, too.

Always depends on the concept.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Re-tellings almost never work. My prime example is the X movie. It was terrible. It kept all the clichés and threw out everything that made the series great.

Oh why did you have to remind me of that terrible movie?

Sadly I saw the movie before I watched the series, so I was even more confused. IIRC the manga was never finished, so I guess the end of the world never happened. :tongue

On the other hand, tie-ins can be great, as the recent Haruhi Suzumiya movie showed. Stellar animation, great story line, entirely consistent with the series. I haven't yet seen the Eden of the East movies, but they've got the potential to fit that category, too.

Always depends on the concept.

Another good tie-in movie is Cowboy Bebop Knocking on Heaven's Door. It takes place somewhere in the middle of the anime.

The first FMA film wasn't terrible and the first anime ended on a cliffhanger so the film was appropriate. Now I need to wait for the second FMA film. *fingers crossed*

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Penguins are awesome.

Also, if you want some damn good movies, besides the big names like Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki, and Makoto Shinkai, the Kara no Kyoukai series of movies are incredibly awesome.

And there's always Rebuild. *goes back to waiting for Evangelion 3.0*

The two Eden of the East movies are okay. They're not bad, but they're not as awesome as I was hoping. Worth watching, at least.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Penguins are awesome.

Also, if you want some damn good movies, besides the big names like Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki, and Makoto Shinkai, the Kara no Kyoukai series of movies are incredibly awesome.

I actually have those movies. :D

I'm surprised how much backlog anime I have.

The two Eden of the East movies are okay. They're not bad, but they're not as awesome as I was hoping. Worth watching, at least.

Can I watch the movies without watching the series?

Anyone watch Break Blade? I have that one sitting on my hard drive too.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have those movies. :D

I'm surprised how much backlog anime I have.

Depending how long ago you got them, you may want to re-get them, since the BD's came out relatively recently, and it's definitely worth watching in HD.

Can I watch the movies without watching the series?

No, not really. They take place after the series, and they don't really bother explaining what happened during the series.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also loving Usagi Drop. It's pretty mundane, it's pretty slow, but somehow I feel a strong connection to the characters that has me hooked already. Art style is similar to Hourou Musuko.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
subgroup-chart.png

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Oh why did you have to remind me of that terrible movie?

Sadly I saw the movie before I watched the series, so I was even more confused. IIRC the manga was never finished, so I guess the end of the world never happened. :tongue

I saw the movie before the series, too. In fact, I saw about half the movie, before I quit on it. And then I didn't watch the series when it was running on TV. Then there was a rerun and I was bored...

How can a movie be so terrible and a series be that great? (And it did have an ending. One of the better anime endings, actually. It made total sense.) I mean, I then watched the movie again, because I couldn't believe it was that bad. This time I made it through the entire movie. It was that bad. No way around it.

I have the first three. By August, all seven are going to be available in my area. I love them. A Yuki Kajiura soundtrack always helps.

So they're basically in the okay category? I actually thought the series fun, but not that special either, so I wonder whether I should get the movies anyway.

I'm also loving Usagi Drop. It's pretty mundane, it's pretty slow, but somehow I feel a strong connection to the characters that has me hooked already. Art style is similar to Hourou Musuko.

I personally think Hourou Musuko did the watercolour style better, but then Usagi Drop uses "style slips" (superdeformed for Rin's lesser frustrations) in the concept, so they have to stay more flexible. Reminds me a bit of Kimi ni Todoke that way (same studio).

The show's strength is definitely in the characters.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have the first three. By August, all seven are going to be available in my area. I love them. A Yuki Kajiura soundtrack always helps.

I don't think they've even been licensed here. They're only available as a Japanese import for $400 from Aniplex last I checked.

So they're basically in the okay category? I actually thought the series fun, but not that special either, so I wonder whether I should get the movies anyway.

I enjoyed them, but I haven't felt a particular need to rewatch them yet, unlike movies lik KnK, Disappearance, Eva Rebuild, etc.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This week's episode of Nichijou was intense! I liked it.

Though with the new ED, I'm going to be having flashbacks to Shinji pulling naked Rei out of Zeruel and causing Near Third Impact whenever an episode ends.

Hmm, perhaps someone at KyoAni had the same thoughts. Nichijou 15 has a new ED song again.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Episode 2 of Baka to Test Ni was awesome. Definitely not as intellectual an anime as I usually like, but hilarious nonetheless. If only they hadn't stopped the contest before Hideyoshi took the stage! Whyyyy?

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Episode 2 of Kamisama no Memochou. I'm enjoying it so far. I thought the Victorique/Alice character archetype would be boring to me by now, but I guess the wholly different setting and tone is enough to keep me interested. Though I have to say, the main male character is easily the least interesting part about the show so far. This seems endemic of recent anime. I know, I know, he's probably supposed to be an audience avatar, an outsider to the strangeness, someone easily relatable, but still... your core audience is still going to be otaku, so who are they going to relate to more: a (so far) boring, average guy, or a bunch of NEETs? Seriously.

In retrospect, I'm very glad Darker than Black (the last not currently-airing series I watched, got this right. Screw easily relatable audience avatars! I want an interesting lead!

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
In retrospect, I'm very glad Darker than Black (the last not currently-airing series I watched, got this right. Screw easily relatable audience avatars! I want an interesting lead!

It's one of the main attractions of Steins;Gate, too, isn't it? (And where Chaos;Head failed, by - apparently - trying to have it both ways).

I've only seen ep 1 of Kami Sama Memou Chou so far, but I actually had a feeling that the dullness is an actual character trait this time round. He certainly seems more real/relatable than Kujo in Gossick to me.

Come to think of it: If you want interesting leads, do watch Ore tachi ni Tsubasa Wai from last season. And withstand the pointless ecchi content; it's worth it. (The conclusion is a bit rushed - they introduce vital backstory info-dump style in the last episode!!! But other than that [and pointless ecchi] the show's actually good.)

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Reading this thread makes me realize I haven't seen very much anime.

A ton of my friends absolutely love Code Geass, but that's one of only two anime series that I never got through the first episode. Usually I watch at least the first episode all the way through, but when the kid told that group of soldiers to commit suicide and they actually did... that was really, really upsetting for me. I seriously couldn't imagine trying to watch the whole bloody thing. Although I really liked the opening...

The other anime I couldn't finish even one episode of was SoulTaker. Very... weird. Interesting premise, but just a little too weird in execution for me to keep watching. Also, the animation style made my head hurt.

I think I much prefer cute, light-hearted anime.