Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
evolution1.png

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
i just finished the battle angel alitas, vols 1-9.

i've never read manga before, and i effing loved every minute of it. my biggest complaint was that in a lot of the fight scenes i visually couldn't tell what was going on--just a lot of emotive lines all over the place supposed to indicate some kind of punching or slashing motion.

i read online that yukito kishiro got really sick when he was writing volume 9 and wasn't happy with the ending, hence, when he returned to the mangas with "last order" he basically rewrote the last half of vol 9. which... yeah. the ending was really weird and out of left field, with the whole space elevator turning into a big flower. i was just kinda like... huh. okay.

anyone else here read BAA? i originally started reading them because i was afraid it was too similar to one of my wips, but having finished the first series, i can safely say they were nothing alike. but i still enjoyed the hell out of 'em. such a twisted storyline and amazing art.

any of you guys give rec's for other popular sci fi mangas similar to BAA? gotta admit i'm a newb to this whole thing.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
oh whoops, i just realized now i posted in the movie thread. mbmb...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is really bothering me all of a sudden, and the internet isn't helping.

Does anyone remember which anime Stereopony's "Hana Hiraku Oka" was in?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Mid-season recap:

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Oh, how I love this show! From visual wackyness to the dead-pan main character, it's just perfect. Oh, and for once ever-smiling fairies are played as creepy as they are. Winner.

Natsuyuki Rendesvouz: Love it. It's a very non-traditional love triangle, and for once the two competing male's relationship to each other is every bit as important as their relationship to the girl. Plays the weird elements just right, too.

Joshiraku: Adorable. Wacky comedy. I'm sure a lot flies over my head, but there's an edge to it (as expected from the mangaka of Zetsubou Sensei).

Koi to Senkyou to Chocolate: Very interesting, surprisingly. I thought I'd be watching for the cute (since I like the Amagami-style character design), but the story's actually well executed and intricate. They seem to be doing a good job of mixing elements from all the "routes" of the original VN (which I clearly know nothing about). I looked up the writer in charge of series composition, and he also did the ef series and Tasogare Otome X Amnesia (as well as Baka to Test... and - uh? - Asobi no Iku Yo).

Sengoku Collection: I was moderately fond of the show in the first half, but it's really picked up. The anthology structure and twin-connection to movies and Sengoku era history is working out really well. Have to look into some of the names one day. (Last episode was 2001 ~ A Space Oddyssey.) It is Brain's Base after all. For a while, I was wondering.

Tari Tari: It's really cute and quite well executed. Some of the best anime parents. Like it.

Hyouka: The festival ark was exceptional, but things seem to be back to usual. There's a lot of potential in this show, but I find it pretty uneven.

Kokoro Connect: Uneven. Currently, I'm enjoying it a lot. But for a while I wasn't too into it. The K-on character design's don't help (I don't like them).

That should be the most important shows (apart from stuff like Yuru Yuri 2 or Shirokuma Café, which I'm enjoying as much as ever, but have nothing to say about.)

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to see panty shots and giant, bouncing breasts while someone is being devoured alive. It's both repulsive and insulting (in my opinion, of course).

And yet that's the point of the show. (My favourite quote from that review: "They're being horrible on purpose.")

I made it through the entire show. God knows how. There's an OVA I'm told; you can't make me watch that.

Repulsive and insulting, though? Isn't there entire horror sub-genre that's based on bouncing breasts while somebody's being devoured? In various forms of subtlety decending from, say, the black-and-white King Kong? [There's nothing subtle, absolutely nothing subtle, about HotD. And that's sort of the point. A decidedly immature middle finger to respectability and pretence.]

Still not my cup of tea.

Kyra Wright

Registered
Reaction score
And yet that's the point of the show. (My favourite quote from that review: "They're being horrible on purpose.")

I made it through the entire show. God knows how. There's an OVA I'm told; you can't make me watch that.

Repulsive and insulting, though? Isn't there entire horror sub-genre that's based on bouncing breasts while somebody's being devoured? In various forms of subtlety decending from, say, the black-and-white King Kong? [There's nothing subtle, absolutely nothing subtle, about HotD. And that's sort of the point. A decidedly immature middle finger to respectability and pretence.]

Still not my cup of tea.
A show that's horrible for the sake of being horrible is still....horrible. And it's still repulsive to me, intentional or not. Not my cup of tea indeed.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

High School of the Dead is great.

It's just one of those shows that knows exactly what it wants to be, without aspirations beyond that or delusions that it's anything more than what it is, and succeeds at it brilliantly. Kind of like Kämpfer. Or on the more decidedly intellectual side of artistic trash, Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari.

The review in the video, for all its criticisms, was positive. She liked it. And you got gore and tits and action. What more could you want? I'm still hoping for a second season.

It's one of those shows you watch knowing it won't win any awards, and knowing just how bad it is, and yet enjoying it thoroughly the whole time. At least, I did.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
A show that's horrible for the sake of being horrible is still....horrible. And it's still repulsive to me, intentional or not. Not my cup of tea indeed.

Hm, re-reading my own post, I find I might have sounded like I question your reaction. Well, you can't question a reaction, and I'm not generally the type to judge other people's reactions (I hope), so that got me thinking why I made that reply. (It's certainly not a desire to defend HotD.)

I think it's got something to do with my own reaction to the show. As I said, I got through the entire season, with the firm resolution never to watch anything else in that franchise (OVAs or second season or movie or whatever). Now, ecchi fanservice has a good chance to put me off. It's often not enough to keep me away from the show, but there's often a sort of bothering like background radiation. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have quit. The last show I quit because of fanservice of that sort was Horizon; I just couldn't stand the torpedo breasts (in conjunction with other elements).

Now Highschool of the Dead is worse in that regard, and yet I still got through the show. Not only that, there was fairly little that bothered me about it. Probably, because all the elements were so over-the-top that they pushed beyond that. Taking that in conjunction with pretty straightforward zombie aesthetics was... odd. There's a disjunct between the over-the-top fanservice (overdone), and the rather run-of-the-mill zombie portrayal. I still don't know what to make of it.

kuwisdelu said:
And you got gore and tits and action. What more could you want? I'm still hoping for a second season.

I'm not sure those are actually tits. In season two it will turn out that they're blob-like aliens who enter a symbiosis with women to prey on unwary earthling perverts. (It's mimicry!)

Kyra Wright

Registered
Reaction score
And you got gore and tits and action. What more could you want?
I get my gore and tits and action from other shows (Berserk being a prime example) that don't insult my intelligence.

I've tried to watch HOTD three times. My friends like it and wanted me to watch it. It never worked out. It's one of the few series that I will say I outright hate. And every time I forget about it, I go to an anime convention and have to see walls full of HOTD girl-with-huge-jello-tits-fellating-a-sword merchandise.

Thank God for the hundreds of other series I can read/watch instead. :D

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
High School of the Dead is great.

It's just one of those shows that knows exactly what it wants to be, without aspirations beyond that or delusions that it's anything more than what it is, and succeeds at it brilliantly. Kind of like Kämpfer. Or on the more decidedly intellectual side of artistic trash, Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari.

The review in the video, for all its criticisms, was positive. She liked it. And you got gore and tits and action. What more could you want? I'm still hoping for a second season.

It's one of those shows you watch knowing it won't win any awards, and knowing just how bad it is, and yet enjoying it thoroughly the whole time. At least, I did.
Yes, JO liked it, but from her review, I know I won't.