General anime discussion thread

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I went ahead and watched the final two episodes of Deadman on Funimation's youtube channel, as well as the OVA (which was actually a prequel). I well say, the final two are pretty damn epic. Mocking bird shows why he was the undisputed, strongest fighter in Deadman Wonderland, a quick return from Hummingbird, backstory on the monk undertaker (can't think of his name right now), and one scene in the final episodes that is just ten different kinds of awesome. The only downside is that it doesn't resolve many of the storylines. It seemed like they set things up for season 2 and it never came. From what I hear, it's still possible, but it's going to be a while.

As for the OVA, it's of Crow before he was put into Deadman Wonderland. Definitely helped in giving him a little depth.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I went ahead and watched the final two episodes of Deadman on Funimation's youtube channel, as well as the OVA (which was actually a prequel). I well say, the final two are pretty damn epic. Mocking bird shows why he was the undisputed, strongest fighter in Deadman Wonderland, a quick return from Hummingbird, backstory on the monk undertaker (can't think of his name right now), and one scene in the final episodes that is just ten different kinds of awesome. The only downside is that it doesn't resolve many of the storylines. It seemed like they set things up for season 2 and it never came. From what I hear, it's still possible, but it's going to be a while.

As for the OVA, it's of Crow before he was put into Deadman Wonderland. Definitely helped in giving him a little depth.

Well, I think it got through most of the manga so far, which has been put on hiatus for the mangaka's pregnancy, according to Wikipedia.

How was the dub?

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Guess what. I've got the Clannad computer game now. It seems to be huge, because it took two days of playing until I even met Fuuko the first time. Since it's a visual novel there is not many choices one can make. Though it's interesting that one can miss opportunities by not being at a place at the right time, compared to most other games where one can play through everything. Luckily it's the english version, because I would never get through the Japanese one.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily it's the english version, because I would never get through the Japanese one.

Interesting. I didn't know it was translated.

Also, I really liked the latest Tari Tari episode. The show is shaping up.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Finally saw the rest of AKB0048.

Kawamori never disappoints.

No matter how ridiculous the premise seems.

And now I have a new obsession to start following!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, did anyone else know that until recently, in Japan, blue and green were the same color?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Finally started catching up on the new Rinne no Lagrange episodes, too, and in season 2, the Eva vibes are turned up to 11. Jeez! Hopefully this season isn't as lackluster. Seems promising so far, though. And Array still hasn't ditched the maid outfit yet.

If mecha anime — from Evangelion to Star Driver to Aquarion to Rinne — have taught me anything, it's that giant robots are powered by the power of sex!

(It also allows impossible architecture and alien geometry. Thanks, Utena!)

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, did anyone else know that until recently, in Japan, blue and green were the same color?

I did. I took two semesters of Japanese, and my teacher told us. If I'm not mistaken, aoi is the traditional colour, while midori is the newcomer for green, pushing aoi towards blue. It's interesting to read about blue forrests. Heh.

Also, I dropped Rinne. I didn't much care for the first season and was utterly bored with the opener (first two episodes) of season 2. I think I only finished the first season, because winter 2012 wasn't exactly full of great stuff to watch...

Also, I've finally started on Mirai Nikki. While I care about none of the characters, I find the show pretty interesting. It's sometimes a bit silly (e.g. a dart through a scroll destroys the entire diary, but a water sprinkler isn't even a threat? Meh), and I'm not fond of the character design. But all in all it's quite an entertaining watch.

I find that character design is very important to me. It doesn't save a bad show, and it doesn't ruin a good one; but it appears I'm very visual that way. I think character design plays a great role in why enjoyed both Amagami and Koi Choco (same person responsible, and it shows).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I've finally started on Mirai Nikki. While I care about none of the characters, I find the show pretty interesting. It's sometimes a bit silly (e.g. a dart through a scroll destroys the entire diary, but a water sprinkler isn't even a threat? Meh), and I'm not fond of the character design. But all in all it's quite an entertaining watch.

You might have to be a little twisted like me, but Yuno totally won my heart.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
You might have to be a little twisted like me, but Yuno totally won my heart.

I'm not surprised.

I finished the show now. The second half was better, and the ending was brilliant.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else watching Eureka Seven: AO? The beginning felt rather slow to me, but shit's finally starting to get real with Eureka and the Gecko finally showing up.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Anime-related trip-report time.

(I don't have the time to write a full report or make sure it's written well, so I'll just stick to a few random bits for now.)

My brother and I met up with Ein this weekend. Ein, as you know, is the main character of Cowboy Bebop. He played this role fourteen years ago, but one of the perks of being animated is you don't ever age unless you want to.

We started the day with a trip to the park, where we herded pigeons and lapped up some fountain water. We tried to herd a group of schoolchildren, too, but we only made them reveal their true form. They became a demonic horde of braces and pigtails and colorful book bags. They shouted "Aww look at the doggies" as they chased us through the maze of dawn-rainfall puddles and No Pets Allowed signs. We didn't want to be their next kill, so we got the hell out of there as quickly as we could. "Why were you running?" Ein said, after we escaped. We just shook our heads.

We avoided a sad end in the dark depths of bellies only to be told by thundering rumbles that our own were empty. Pizza-La would have to do. We dodged the lethal stomps of pedestrians and all the hungry growling cars on the streets and made our way to a dark alley where we changed into our disguise. In the Pizza-La, we stood on each other's backs, forming a leaning tower of pizza-wanting corgis inside this disguise: the clothes draping over us in a passable mimesis of a short human; the hooded sweatshirt housing the marker-ink-mustached picture of Vladimir Putin, our "face." The order was successful—our owner's digital audio workstation has a nice text-to-speech generator that we used to create some pre-fab ordering tracks. When we sat, some patrons stared at us, though. "I think those are dogs," one said. We ignored them and ate up. The pizza was awesome.

Later, we challenged Ein to put his famous hacking skills to the test and get us a few billion yen from the Bank of Japan.

"I don't think that's a good idea," he said.

"Come on. Please?"

"No."

"We'll put it back. Promise."

He barked.

"Okay," we said, "we double dog dare you."

He groaned. (We're not sure why.)

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Anime I'm currently interested in:
Hakuoki
Katanagatari
Mitsudomoe
Heroman
Tatami Galaxy
Star Driver
Arakawa Under the Bridge
The World God Only Knows (anyone know how faithful it is to the manga?)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Anime I'm currently interested in:
Hakuoki

The first season is good; the second season is decent. The current season is a prequel, and so far my favourite of the lot.

Katanagatari

Masterpiece. Very unique style.

Mitsudomoe

Occasionally funny. Decent entertainment. Nothing special.

Heroman
Tatami Galaxy

Never seen either.

Star Driver

Pretty good on the character front. Pretty annoying with repetitive elements. Wait for kuwisdelu to give you his opinion.

Arakawa Under the Bridge

First season is brilliant. Second season has its highpoints, but is more uneven than the first.

I liked the anime. I've never seen the manga.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Katanagatari

Quite good. Same author as Bakemonogatari, but adapted with a very different style. Still, while there are some awesome fights (the finale reminds me very much of the ending of Cowboy Bebop, personally) the meat of the series is in the conversations and character development. A solid recommendation.

Tatami Galaxy

I've been meaning to getting around to re-watching this one sometime. A very good show, IMO, and one of the last very good shows that's been in the noitaminA slot. (I think the last noitaminA show I really thought lived up to noitaminA quality was Usagi Drop.) The narrator talks a bit fast, though.

Arakawa Under the Bridge

Pretty good. Fairly typical as far as Shaft adaptations go. Quirky, weird, humorous, and whatnot. If you like typical Shaft anime, you'll like it. If not, you won't. I enjoyed it, but it's not really the kind of show I felt compelled to marathon if you know what I mean.

Overall, I enjoyed the anime. I have no idea how faithful it is to the manga. I think it's pretty faithful, since it hasn't seemed to have gotten very far through (what I'm aware of) the manga. There were definitely episodes that were more interesting than others. Some were kinda dull, really. Some were, well, kamisama-tier.

Star Driver

Pretty good on the character front. Pretty annoying with repetitive elements. Wait for kuwisdelu to give you his opinion.

IMO, there have been only three very (very) good anime series to have come out this decade so far. Those are Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Mawaru Penguindrum, and Star Driver. All three of them have very numerous flaws (which I won't go into), but to me that doesn't undermine their status as the being the best of recent anime, and the only shows for which "great" come to mind (for me).

Both Mawaru Penguindrum and Star Driver come from the minds that brought us Revolutionary Girl Utena. Mawaru Penguindrum is directed by Utena creator and director Kunihiko Ikuhara. Star Driver is written by Utena script writer Yoji Enokido. You can see the influence of Utena on both shows. I'll focus on Star Driver, obviously.

As Dawnstorm mentioned, Star Driver follows in Utena's footsteps of being very repetitious when it comes to its battles. To me, this isn't really a weakness. Both Eva and Utena, two of my favorite anime of all time (though I only saw the latter relatively recently) rely very heavily on repetition. There is a certain routine of things that must happen every episode. An angel must attack Tokyo-III. An student council member must duel Utena. A member of Glittering Crux must battle Takuto in Zero-Time.

I can certainly see how that would get tedious, if battles and duels were the crux of the drama of these shows. But all of these shows are about character arcs and development. The fights and battles are just the foundation and structure on which the series build the emotional arcs and outlets of their actors. Just like being defeated by Utena was something of a ceremony or rite-of-passage that characters in Utena had to go through, so is being defeated by Takuto in Star Driver. As these shows progress, and as the situation grows more dire and serious, this structure begins to break down, and the shows break away from the repetition. Oftentimes (true for Utena, Penguindrum, and Star Driver), the very realm in which the repetitive elements took place falls apart or is destroyed in the process. Maybe I'm alone in my appreciation for it, but I find it a nice metaphor. As the world that the characters in the show have relied on for so long begins to crumble, so does the very structure of the show that the audience has come to rely on break apart. But such things appeal to me. None of this really tells you what the show is about, so I'm sorry, but it's mostly in defense of its somewhat repetitive nature.

Anyway, apart from Penguindrum and Madoka, Star Driver is easily the only other recent anime I continue to have as much enthusiasm for. (Okay, there are plenty of other "guilty pleasure" shows I'll continue to enjoy, but I'm talking about the stuff I really consider good.) I definitely recommend it. The first half is pretty good, and the second half is even better. It's finally episode is ridiculously awesome and well set-up, I think.

May your galaxy shine!

キラボシ!!☆☆

*This is actually kind of a post I've been wanting to make for a while. One of these days I'll expand on it and make a blog post "In defense of repetitive anime" or something. It's a "weakness" that I've come to really appreciate. It also showcases some of the inherent strengths of the anime industry, which tends to operate on *much* tighter budgets than American animation companies. Often in anime (more commonly before computers), elaborate tricks were used to create the illusion of as much motion as possible from as few illustrations. What's even cheaper than that? Re-using animation! Having set sequences that could be re-used each episode certainly saved on the budget. And I think it's incredibly interesting and speaks a lot to the talent of certain studios, directors, and writers how these limitations were used and incorporated into the story arcs. We've come a long way since then, as Haruhi S2's Endless Eight certainly shows, but I think the creative ways these limitations were turned into strengths (IMO) by directors like Ikuhara and Hideaki Anno certainly speaks a lot about the strengths of their talent and of anime as a medium as a whole.

**That footnote was originally supposed to be just one sentence...

Last edited:

sciencewarrior

It's alive!
Registered
Reaction score
The World God Only Knows is as faithful to the manga as it gets. They play a bit looser with the one-off episodes -- which are its weakest point, and thankfully much better executed in season 2, -- but the arcs are an almost exact translation.

I finished Acchi Kocchi. Now I need more cute. Even Dog Days' isn't sweet enough.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
As Dawnstorm mentioned, Star Driver follows in Utena's footsteps of being very repetitious when it comes to its battles.

Often in anime (more commonly before computers), elaborate tricks were used to create the illusion of as much motion as possible from as few illustrations. What's even cheaper than that? Re-using animation! Having set sequences that could be re-used each episode certainly saved on the budget. And I think it's incredibly interesting and speaks a lot to the talent of certain studios, directors, and writers how these limitations were used and incorporated into the story arcs.

Well, I have to clarify. What I find annoying isn't so much the repetitive plot structure. That's sort of the backbone of the show (and other shows like it). I've seen people cringe before the "monster of the week". I don't. I'm fine with that.

What I dislike is especially the repetitive footage. The ritualism ingrained in the shows. That's true for both Star Driver and Penguindrum. The repeated sequences were:

- guady and annoying to begin with
- went on for too long and
- came back too soon.

It set my teeth on edge. I know it must happen, but I don't need to see it. Star Driver is one of the worst offenders in history, with a very annoying sequence that returns EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

Real life rituals bore me to death, too. I know people get comfort out of repetition. I get jittery and just want it to end.

So, no matter how many rational arguments may appear: these kinds of repetition will always annoy me. I kept pointlessly rooting for Takuto's opponents. I wanted them to obliterate him. First, he's an annoying character to begin with, and second, I'd then be spared that god-awful transformation scene.

That's very different from the iterative repetition of, say, the endless eight. It's the same, but never quite. There's no distraction from the sameness, so I can focus on the differences. (I even marathoned the "endless eight"; just to show you who you're dealing with).