General anime discussion thread

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
(N.B., the first part of my response below might be a spoiler to anyone who wants to watch Jinrui ... .)

Just take a look at the first episode of Jinrui Wa Suitai Shimashita.

The encounter with that skinned and headless chicken—especially how it jumped up and attacked them—and the guy's nonchalant "So, please help yourself" after the bread killed itself has sold me on watching more of this series.

How did you become interested in this combination?

It enthralled me with its awesomeness.

I wouldn't have thought of either of your examples, though, so I may be wrong about what you want.

Usually when I ask for recs and point out a single aspect of a few specific examples, I want people to ignore everything else about those examples. E.g., someone recommending Kiki's Delivery Service here would make me mad as a wet hen.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The encounter with that skinned and headless chicken—especially how it jumped up and attacked them—and the guy's nonchalant "So, please help yourself" after the bread killed itself has sold me on watching more of this series.

Episode 2 is out. Be prepared. (If know a bit of Japanese vocabulary you might catch a pun. I missed it until someone pointed it out.)

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some series and movies where the animation's most salient qualities include the juxtaposition of idyllic/beautiful imagery and scary/creepy/grotesque imagery, sort of like in Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Any recommendations? The recs can be drawn from the full range of genres—they don't need to have anything else in common with those two films.

Thankroo.
You could try Elfen Lied. It has both idyllic and grotesque imagery in it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some series and movies where the animation's most salient qualities include the juxtaposition of idyllic/beautiful imagery and scary/creepy/grotesque imagery, sort of like in Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Any recommendations? The recs can be drawn from the full range of genres—they don't need to have anything else in common with those two films.

Thankroo.

Anything by Shaft.

No, really.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
A rare sighting of the fabled kuwisdelu. Let's catch him before he gets away.

vGh9.png

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
This show is delicious. I adore it.

Me, too. The show of the season. I really like the protagonist (the way she handled the powerhungry beaurocrat was delicious).

What's the pun? What's the pun? Is it the Japanese word for bread?

Remember when she kept talking about the invisible hand of god?

God = kami = hair

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, don't miss Tari Tari.

It's fun. Aside: in ep1 the transfer student writes a letter to a friend in Austria. What little I can read of it the German actually sounds plausible for someone having lived there. (I'm Austrian.)

Other stuff I'd recommend:

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Interesting romance (confession in first episode)

Joshiraku: Self-proclaimed motto (flashes during the show): This show contains unobtrusive dialogue so that the viewer can admire the cuteness of the girls. The show starts out telling us that this is a pointless anime, because it's mostly dialogue and no action, and most people will watch it for free anyway. From the mangaka who did Zetsubou Sensei; you can tell. (If you watch this, be sure to look at the translator notes afterwards. They help.)

I'll probably also continue with Kokoro Connect (bodyswitching show that keeps hazukashi-moments to a minimun - I hope it's going to be about understanding otheres [quite possible, considering the weight family is getting in the first episode].

Also Koi to Senkyou to Chocolate seems good enough to continue. The show's about the contemporary food club standing their own candidate for student council president, just so their club doesn't get shut down. Knowing that, and that it was a fanservice comedy, I started watching it and for the opening scene I wondered whether the link was broken and I'm in the wrong show. Not really, since it made sense, but it was... surprising. [No spoilers]

I'll probably be watching other stuff, too (say, Arcana Famiglia), but nothing I'm too interested in.

Last edited:

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I started watching One Piece. God help me, why did I have to get addicted to a 500+ episode series?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Shit! I just got into Long Beach for a bioinformatics conference, and I just realized I could be at Comicon now instead.

Dammit, if I had a car right now, I could be there in two hours!

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
It took me until episode 2 of Sword Art Online to realise that the show has a Kajiura soundtrack. Shame on me.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So for some reason, yesterday I decided it was the day I should start trying to learn Japanese. Oops.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for finding untranslated light novels and manga with furigana? PM if you know of less than "official" ways as well.

Last edited:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
So for some reason, yesterday I decided it was the day I should start trying to learn Japanese. Oops.
That's great!

Except for manga, you might be interested in books for children. I haven't begun with manga, but I have borrowed children's books from a library.

If you don't know hiragana and katakana yet, there are games to play to practice. For example at:
www.learn-hiragana-katakana.com/

A dictionary:
www.eudict.com/

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That's great!

Except for manga, you might be interested in books for children. I haven't begun with manga, but I have borrowed children's books from a library.

If you don't know hiragana and katakana yet, there are games to play to practice. For example at:
www.learn-hiragana-katakana.com/

A dictionary:
www.eudict.com/

The goal is to learn enough to fly to Japan in November and watch the Evangelion 3.0 premier.

Who wants to give me money?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
You might be able to gather the required amount of funds if you sell your body
of work—maybe one of your novels or something—or if you have a massive cock
or hen on a farm, because circus sideshows are lucrative. You'd blow everyone
out of the water, based on the few snippets of yours I've read. But it's so hard
to make money these days, so I'm not really sure. Also, it will take ages to come
up with money from a novel, obviously, so maybe the best option is going down
to a bank and asking for a small loan, but they will probably just give you head
-aches.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You might be able to gather the required amount of funds if you sell your body
of work—maybe one of your novels or something—or if you have a massive cock
or hen on a farm, because circus sideshows are lucrative. You'd blow everyone
out of the water, based on the few snippets of yours I've read. But it's so hard
to make money these days, so I'm not really sure. Also, it will take ages to come
up with money from a novel, obviously, so maybe the best option is going down
to a bank and asking for a small loan, but they will probably just give you head
-aches.

I was thinking more along the lines of creatively finding some kind of academic excuse to go and getting a grant or something to fund my anime watching. I doubt there are any conferences in Japan in my area at that particular time, though.

And I would need to find the time to actually finish my work in progress before I could begin to try to sell it.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Dawnstorm post of uselessness:

- I have no idea where to get light novels or manga with "furigana". I think I may have heard that light novels often have furigana by default (but I'm not sure where I heard that, much less if that's true).

- I'm not into human trafficking and have no way to get anyone to Japan cheaply.

- I have stopped watching Naruto after the chuunin exams in the first season. I think I may have seen about five minutes of one episode of Shippuden. (I've seen all that on TV, and I've reliably missed the episodes I actually wanted to see.)

- I've seen half an episode of Black Butler, but wasn't in the mood. It's not high on my priority list, but I'm not ruling out that I'd like it.