General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe I'll check out Melodies one day.

Btw, Steins;Gate Ep25 is out. It's a sort of epilogue (the future lab goes to LA).

And if anyone watched Denpa Onna, ep13 - the final - is out now, too.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched End of Evangelion.
I'd forgotten how much the characters whine, especially Shinji.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched End of Evangelion.
I'd forgotten how much the characters whine, especially Shinji.

Best movie of all time.

I love the whining and the patheticness and the self-loathing. All of it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Best movie of all time.

I love the whining and the patheticness and the self-loathing. All of it.
Meh. It was better than most anime movies, just as a general impression, but I'm still not going to say it's the best movie I've ever seen, not even the best anime movie, not even in the top 5.
Possibly in the top 10 or top 20 though.

DamnStraight

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched anime in years. There was the cartoon network anime like Dragon Ball Z that started my exposure. I turned to the dark, sometimes disturbing, anime from the 80's and 90's, like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and Akira(I read the entire manga of Akira. It's better than the movie, I'll tell you that.)

Then other anime like Cowboy Bebop, Visions of Escaflowne, Beserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Samurai X, Princess Mononoke.

I'm fan of animation in general, but I haven't seen much lately. I'm tired of anime that feel generic or lacks character depth.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched anime in years. There was the cartoon network anime like Dragon Ball Z that started my exposure. I turned to the dark, sometimes disturbing, anime from the 80's and 90's, like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and Akira(I read the entire manga of Akira. It's better than the movie, I'll tell you that.)

Then other anime like Cowboy Bebop, Visions of Escaflowne, Beserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Samurai X, Princess Mononoke.

I'm fan of animation in general, but I haven't seen much lately. I'm tired of anime that feel generic or lacks character depth.
If you want anime with a deep plot and character depth like Ghost in the Shell, I'd suggest Ergo Proxy, Code Geass and Death Note. Also, since you liked Cowboy Bebop, there's an anime made by the same group called Samurai Champloo. Somewhat similar style in that it's an episodic action anime and like Cowboy Bebop it gives plenty of depth to the characters.

Anyways, onto the main purpose me coming to the thread, I just completed a couple of series; Onegai Teacher and Dual Parallel Trouble World.

For Onegai Teacher, I think it was actually kind of bland. It's a romance story between a half alien on Earth disguised as a teacher and a high School student. I couldn't help but thinking that the main two characters, Kei and Mizuhi, were idiots through a lot of it. In fairness it was mostly thinking that about Kei, but Mizuhi had moments like that too. Like Familiar of Zero, I ended up liking the background characters more, particularly Marie, Ichigo and Hatsuho. While I can't say a lot of good stuff about the plot, I will give it credit for the artwork. Everything from the backgrounds to the character design is really well done. The voice acting is pretty solid also.

For Dual Parallel Trouble World, I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I was going to. It's basically a mech, harem anime. Which is a surprisingly rare combination. I think the only other anime that comes close to that is Code Geass, since they hinted as a possible relationship between Lelouch with Kallen, CC and Shirley, though romance wasn't as important in that one. Anyways, the characters in this are actually really good. I really like D who was just adorable. The mechs were pretty well designed and the artwork is solid. Also, that final fight is just so damn epic looking. I only had two issues with this anime. One being that at times, Mitsuki was, to put it bluntly, a bit too much of a bitch at times. Normally I kind of like the tsundere characters, but she didn't show much in terms of a good side. The second issue being (Spoilers: don't read beyond here if you don't want to know the ending) that at the end, Kazuki didn't pick any of the girls to be with. I guess this is common for harem anime though.

Last edited:

DamnStraight

Registered
Reaction score
If you want anime with a deep plot and character depth like Ghost in the Shell, I'd suggest Ergo Proxy, Code Geass and Death Note. Also, since you liked Cowboy Bebop, there's an anime made by the same group called Samurai Champloo. Somewhat similar style in that it's an episode action anime and like Cowboy Bebop it gives plenty of depth to the characters.

Thanks, I'll check out Death Note since it streams on Netflix. I remember seeing a couple episodes of Samurai Champloo, but I think it was random ones on adult swim or something. I do love samurai.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If you want anime with a deep plot and character depth like Ghost in the Shell, I'd suggest Ergo Proxy, Code Geass and Death Note.

Heh.

On my Eva forum, we have a saying that goes "Code Geass is genius on so many levels, just not the classical 'well-written' level."

Of more recent anime, watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Star Driver, and Mawaru Penguindrum.

If you liked Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, I'd suggest trying Darker than Black. You might also enjoy Steins;Gate and the Kara no Kyoukai movies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's basically a mech, harem anime. Which is a surprisingly rare combination.

It's a love triangle rather than a harem, but have you seen Macross Frontier?

Actually, I'm not so sure it's rare at all now that I'm thinking about it.

Even Shinji could be argued as having a harem.

This season, Aquarion EVOL is sure playing up that angle, too.

And for fuck's sake, Infinite Stratos. The harem is the whole point.

(Sorry... just started thinking of all these other anime...)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Episode 8 of Nisemonogatari. Was ! Pure! GENIUS!

---->Dat toothbrushing!!---->?

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
And for fuck's sake, Infinite Stratos. The harem is the whole point.

Infinite Stratos. The only mecha show whose highpoint is a beach episode... (Just to be sure: IS is probably the ultimate in what DamnStraight wants to avoid. It's only outstanding feature is that it's blatantly and unashamedly shallow. I doesn't pretend once to be something it isn't. You gotta respect this (but - if you're not a fan - you'd better respect it from a distance).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Infinite Stratos. The only mecha show whose highpoint is a beach episode... (Just to be sure: IS is probably the ultimate in what DamnStraight wants to avoid. It's only outstanding feature is that it's blatantly and unashamedly shallow. I doesn't pretend once to be something it isn't. You gotta respect this (but - if you're not a fan - you'd better respect it from a distance).

The doujinshi based on it are better than the series.

Because they contain actual H scenes. ;)

The series was indeed unabashedly shallow. But I love me some Charlotte and Laura hentai. :D

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The doujinshi based on it are better than the series.

Because they contain actual H scenes. ;)

The series was indeed unabashedly shallow. But I love me some Charlotte and Laura hentai. :D

Heh. That's probably the secret of its success. Did they sell lots of figurines and body pillows? ;)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I watched of bit of Mayoi Neko Overrun tonight. What the hell were those people on and can I get some? Seriously, this show is so damn weird. It apparently started off like a normal romance anime but then after a few episode it just went off the deep end. For anyone that wants a taste of it, here:

Warning: Slight nudity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEmfPUna3Y

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I watched of bit of Mayoi Neko Overrun tonight. What the hell were those people on and can I get some? Seriously, this show is so damn weird. It apparently started off like a normal romance anime but then after a few episode it just went off the deep end.

Heh, I thought it started out as a fanservice show with an alibi plot, progressed to a fanservice show without a plot and then made fun of everything. It did contain epic fan service parody, such as the spats vs. bloomers festival. Some of the wtf-episodes didn't work for me (the mecha episode, for example).

Thinking of cat-themed fanservice shows: How about Nyan Koi? ;)

ETA: Toothbrushing

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I watched of bit of Mayoi Neko Overrun tonight. What the hell were those people on and can I get some? Seriously, this show is so damn weird. It apparently started off like a normal romance anime but then after a few episode it just went off the deep end. For anyone that wants a taste of it, here:

Warning: Slight nudity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEmfPUna3Y
Never understood why a school uniform would insist on skirts, things are rather impractical unless you've got the really wide kind mean for combat.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Never understood why a school uniform would insist on skirts, things are rather impractical unless you've got the really wide kind mean for combat.

"It's sexual harrassment on a national scale!" (One of Haruka Minami's friends, but I forget who.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If I had my way, they'd not just be skirts. They'd be TINY MINISKIRTS!!

Also, Gasai Yuno is by far my favorite non-monogatari character this season.